"2001: A Space Odyssey" Discovery Build

I've often wondered what Discovery Two might look like. Maybe multiple spines surrounding a core. Double helix tanks that spiral out when jettisoned--a wider ring section behind the sphere....

Replacement cargo pod finished. The epoxy reinforcement of the joints is curing. Tonight I believe I will be attaching the pods to the spine. I'll also be trying to get some more of the control module painted.

The cargo pods are all epoxied to the spine, so it would seem I'm fully committed to the ones I have now. :lol

After adjusting them quite a bit, I was happy with how they looked and any little bits that are off are off by so little as to be unnoticeable.

I didnt get around to doing any painting today...I was too lazy. I'll probably get back to that tomorrow.

Over the next next few days I'll be looking into what's going to be necessary to build the display box. I'd like it to have a glass front and internal lighting. Should be a fun project for my dad to help me with.

Just came up for air after a 90 minute airbrushing session.

I've got a good start on the command module, collar, ummm...collar connector, and all of the cargo pods that are NOT mounted on the spine already. I will probably give all of these parts at least one more coat before calling them finished.

The cargo pods will end up being painted in at least two sessions, as it was difficult to get the sides of them painted due to the angle...so after a second coat on the top, I'll be doing two coats from the bottom which should allow me to much more easily get the sides.

Picss later tonight.

Alright, as promised, some pics of the parts with some paint on them. Like I said, I'll be doing at least one more coat on all of them...maybe two more on the control module and collar.

66C14988-46AF-45CE-B3C1-CA6314F4A01A_zpsz0gb2mrw.jpg

AA903CFF-4418-444F-B2CA-70C3A3BAB686_zpshvmyypyb.jpg

EC353FBA-405E-4473-A1A8-7B709493A43E_zpsazpcbevo.jpg

A0DB6978-8E12-4EA7-B716-1F4A3D8E1AB2_zpspov9dhdq.jpg

I'll be sanding the four "cylinders" on the piece that goes behind the collar, and the four mounting spots on the collar itself before I hook them together. It shouldn't matter TOO much, as the epoxy will actually mount those pieces to the spine itself, so they don't need to have an extremely tight bond to each other. That said, it will be nice to have them hooked together at the parts themselves.

I think they look pretty good. I may end up looking into a wash to brush on to the cargo pods and the drive unit (which I haven't started painting yet) to help highlight some of the details...it would probably actually work all over the entire model.

I'm not sure if I should brush paint the slightly darker gray areas, or if I should mask them off and airbrush them as well. The masking might be pretty difficult. I'll see as it gets closer to that point.

For their sizes, the modules look very good. It's coming together.

Yeah, I'm really happy with how they look now that they've got a bit of paint on them.

I may end up doing another coat of paint on them tonight...depends on what time I get home from work.

No progress in the last few days. I've been really busy with some other stuff.

I'm planning on getting back to painting on Monday...I may get started on the cargo pods that are already on the spine...see how that goes.

I got quite a bit done tonight.

I painted the the bottom and sides of the cargo pods that aren't attached to the spine. I also painted the pods on the spine and the spine itself. I painted the dish assembly and put two more coats on the control module and collar. I also attached the collar to the...whatever the piece is that connects to the collar.

I think the base paint is done on everything other than the drive unit and the dish assembly. The plastic that the dish assembly was printed from seems to literally absorb paint like a sponge, so it's going to take multiple coats to get that done.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow.

Okay, some pics of the work from last night.

Here's the spine and pods all assembled and painted up. I think it came out pretty well.

0AAE7FB9-44E2-4304-9340-0056D64FDB09_zpsett29e5s.jpg

Here's a close up of the painted pods and the couplings that hold the cargo assemblies together (they don't really, they're just part of the model as they appeared in the film).

1C87640F-F04F-4A34-90B9-0ADD0A1627AF_zpsuvvcxrdg.jpg

Here are the bottoms of the pods that aren't attached yet. I cleaned the paint off of the points where the epoxy will go for better adhesion, I did the same on the points on the spine where they will connect. You can see the dish assembly in this photo in progress. I had better luck brushing the paint onto it than using the airbrush, because it absorbed so much of the paint...so that will end up taking a little while as I have to do only little bits at a time.

7DDA6B05-ACD2-48E7-9F12-E4CDA626DFF3_zpshmwqrxq4.jpg

Here is a not so great picture of the assembled collar piece. This piece is basically done...I won't be doing any more painting to it, other than POSSIBLY a dark wash, but I'm not sure yet.

A00DE4E2-EE87-40C3-AF83-E06F7BD8A2FC_zpsu5o990iz.jpg

Tonight I have some more stuff to do...I'll be getting the rest of the pods onto the spine...well, all of them except for the two "side" pieces of the dish assembly pod assembly, those will be put on separately so that they don't "slide" due to gravity while the epoxy cures. I also have to do yet another coat to the control module. There are a few spots on the control module that still seem like they aren't getting painted that well, so I'll be focusing on just those spots to try to get the paint evened out.

I've ordered some black paint, which I forgot to do before, so that I can paint the thruster portions of the drive unit, and then mix it with a little bit of gray in order to get a slightly lighter black that I will use for the windshield on the front of the ship.

I'm going to be ordering some wash to use on the cargo pods and the drive unit in particular...I understand that since I'm using acrylic paint, my wash should be an enamel based wash so I'm going with that. I'm not sure how much wash I'll use on OTHER portions of the ship, as they are more smooth and don't seem like they would require the "shadows" that the wash is so good at emulating.

It's coming along, slowly but surely.

Its going to look freaking beautiful! :thumbsup

Thanks Sean. It's going to have some quirks that are inherent to the 3D printing process, but I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out. I think the hardest part is going to be making sure that the control module is oriented correctly. I haven't yet worked out how I'm going to make sure of that.

Loose cargo pods epoxied in place!!

One more coat of paint on the control module. I think I'll do one final coat on that tomorrow. I also should be able to get the cargo pods that go on the dish assembly installed tomorrow. The dish itself is finally looking really good. It just took a ton of paint.

Thanks Sean. It's going to have some quirks that are inherent to the 3D printing process, but I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out. I think the hardest part is going to be making sure that the control module is oriented correctly. I haven't yet worked out how I'm going to make sure of that.

Well If the control module Is just relying on that lip In that back section to get it strait.I would suggest getting a smaller peace of the same size rod. find a sleeve that just slips over that with no wiggle room at all. put the rod facing up In a vice and use a level two make sure it perfectly squared off strait all the way around. tape around the lowest part o the rod to allow the back section to rest on the rod and swivel around. then place the sleeve Inside and find the perfect centering and epoxy It in.that way you could take off and put It on and be centered every time

just an idea...

Well guys, I just found out something cool.

The way the front window is designed offers a PERFECT little ledge for this small bubble level that I have. So, as long as the drive unit is straight on the back, which should be relatively easy to get done by just resting the cargo pod assembly upside down so it uses the pods as almost a tripod, then I can use the level to make sure the control module is straight.

***EDIT***

I just did a test fit and the back will certainly be nice and level simply by sliding it into the rod with the pods having two down like little bipod legs. It should work perfectly. I need to get the rear drive on there so that I can finish assembling the panels onto it. There are two left off for easy access to the inside to epoxy the drive to the rod.

Last edited:
2341DB18-53EB-4377-AF9A-CE1709F605DE_zpss9dr156k.jpg

Rear drive unit is epoxied in place. Panels are epoxied to the drive unit.

I was was able to get it all very well aligned by turning the cargo pod assemblies on the spine "upside down." This allowed me to use the pods themselves as a sort of bipod that kept them straight and level. I then put the drive in place and then checked the alignment several times. I think it's pretty much spot on.

The panels on on the side I did tonight are much more flush with the sides...I probably won't need to use very much Green Stuff at all.

The dish assembly, other than the dishes themselves, was also placed on the model.

This is means I'm down to mounting the collar and control module, mounting the dishes, and painting the rear drive before I'm on to final detailing.

I'm still researching washes, as I'd like to use one to help bring out details on the cargo pods and the drive unit. I'm not sure if I would want to use any on the command module or not...maybe just in a few key areas.

Small update, but no pictures tonight.

I have painted the finished half of the drive unit, and the control module and collar are both completely finished, other than detail work.

Tomorrow after work I'll be putting the Green Stuff in the panel gaps on the other side of the drive unit, letting that cure the full 24 hours, then hitting that side with the paint on Tuesday.

Then I will be mounting the collar and the dish assembly to the whole thing, while I work on the minor detail work on the control module. There are some spots with some darker gray, and the window needs to be finished. Other than that, the only other painting will be the actual thruster portions of the drive unit, and the model will be more or less finished other than some added detail work and possibly working on some wash work.

Now I need to get started on designing the case for it. I've found a model of HAL9000 from MonstersInMotion. I MAY order that and give it a shot, and if I can get it built and looking good (it comes with a light kit) I'll actually end up mounting it in the case as well...to have the ship and HAL both on display. I may just do the ship, though, and then have HAL in a separate display. We'll see.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back