Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Valiant Poultry RPF Premium Member Gimpdiggity's Avatar
    From
    Jackson, Mi
    Nov 27, 2016, 9:42 PM - Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Discovery Build #26

star-art said: View Post
    Solid rod is surprisingly easy to bend -- especially when you have a long length of it.

K&S makes brass tubing in both thin-wall and heavy-wall (obviously, get the heavy-wall stuff). Some well-stocked hardware stores carry it:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...d-00001946917c

Also available from OnlineMetals.com:

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...=84&top_cat=79

If you can find it in stainless steel, that should be even stronger.
    Great thanks!!

The OnlineMetals has the tubing for only a few bucks more than the rod I found was, but shipping is a few bucks less so it's basically the same price!
  2. Valiant Poultry RPF Premium Member Gimpdiggity's Avatar
    From
    Jackson, Mi
    Nov 28, 2016, 2:42 AM - Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Discovery Build #27

I made some good progress today. I tacked the supports to the side pieces with just a dab of hot glue. That let me make sure everything fit together well.

Next, I used two part epoxy to reinforce all of those joints. I applied it with a brush which allowed me to get it down into the crevices well. After several hours of curing (the epoxy is cured enough to handle in about an hour) the joints were well secured. I then used the epoxy to attach the aft portion of the MPDD. That went on well and after a few hours was nice and secure.

Next, I sanded the front of the entire piece, and then attached the fore piece of the MPDD. I didn't get a picture of just this, because I was on to the next step...

I test fit the top two panels to the drive, and was happy with the result. I then glued these pieces together with CA...I figured it would be nice as one single panel and would be easier to hook to the entire unit. After letting that set, I made sure the pieces all fit together well, and then went ahead and used the epoxy to seal it in place. A bunch of rubber bands helped with making sure that the entire piece was held together correctly.

The gaps aren't nearly as noticeable in person as they are in the photos, however, I feel like I probably will end up trying to fill them in some way. I've read that Green Stuff (Kneadatite?) can be rolled into very, very thin strands...so this may end up being a good option for this project...I can get several thin strands and put them in place, then use a sculpting tool to scrape off any excess before the Green Stuff sets, allowing it to show up in a way that minimizes the difference in textures between the printed parts and the Green Stuff.

While all of that was sitting, I went ahead and printed the cargo pods that go along the entire length of the ship. Well, three of them. There's a total of, I think, 33 of these that will end up being printed. I had thought that they would take a long time to print, but they actually went fairly quickly...because they're much smaller than I figured they would be.

Here's a picture of them with a standard glue stick to illustrate the size of them.

After printing those out, I printed the "nut" pieces that will hold them in place. They printed well, but I ended up looking at a remixed version of these parts that will do a better job of holding these cargo pieces in place. I think I'll be using the remixed parts going forward, and most likely I'll be using the epoxy to hold the pieces together. I think, though, that I will be looking into getting that rod first...I'd like to be able to have the rod actually running through the nuts before gluing the cargo pods to them. This will help me make sure that they are completely flat and centered.

Overall, I'm happy with the progress. I fretted and fretted over the fit of the panels...and ultimately just decided that I was going to have to glue it together and see how it fit. The rough fits were all coming in just fine, but with a bit of pressure applied in one spot or another, it would render the whole thing just a mess. Of course, the pressure was only there because I would be squeezing on one part of the model or another, just to see how that impacted the fit of the whole thing.

I am printing another front plate for the bottom of the MPDD. I'm printing it very slightly thinner than the one I have now, so that I can hope to get it to lay flatter when it's assembled. The one I have works well, but I thought I might be able to get it just a BIT better by having one ever so slightly thinner. That part should be done printing in an hour or so, so I'll be able to see how that goes.

My next steps, other than continuing to print the cargo pods, is to put some of the epoxy on the inside of the MPDD to help secure the panels that I put on it today. Of course, I will not be able to do that with the OTHER side panels due to the fact that the entire thing will be enclosed...but the panels on the other side seem to fit a bit better, so I don't think they'll need any reinforcing at the joints. It is also possible that I COULD just use some hot glue to hold these panels in place, and have that be the top of the ship...this way if I ever needed to, I could peel them off and work inside of the MPDD if need be. I also thought about possible holding off on gluing these on until I'm completely done with the model...that way I can easily see the tube when I'm installing it for support, and not have to worry about trying to jam it in there blindly, and possibly damaging something.
    Last edited by Gimpdiggity; Nov 30, 2016 at 12:29 AM.
    Nov 28, 2016, 7:23 AM - Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Discovery Build #28

Coming along fine...you know, any model has its level of blood, sweat and tears It's looking good so far and eager to see your next update. I'm really waiting for the main command module and to see how everything is going to fit on that piece.
  4. Valiant Poultry RPF Premium Member Gimpdiggity's Avatar
    From
    Jackson, Mi
    Nov 28, 2016, 3:00 PM - Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Discovery Build #29

Yikes...

The front of the ship, the sphere, is going to be about a 24 hour long print...that's a bit daunting...
    Nov 28, 2016, 6:23 PM - Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Discovery Build #30

That's why I'm eager to see it
    From
    Ireland
    Nov 28, 2016, 7:03 PM - Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Discovery Build #31

Gimpdiggity said: View Post
    Yikes...

The front of the ship, the sphere, is going to be about a 24 hour long print...that's a bit daunting...
    Could you do it in two pieces, split along the 'Equator' line?
  7. Valiant Poultry RPF Premium Member Gimpdiggity's Avatar
    From
    Jackson, Mi
    Nov 28, 2016, 7:35 PM - Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Discovery Build #32

MML said: View Post
    Could you do it in two pieces, split along the 'Equator' line?

Possibly. That might create a lot more finishing work than the single piece requires, considering how these prints like to warp just a tad.

I will try doing it in one piece first, and save other options for later if need be.
  8. Valiant Poultry RPF Premium Member Gimpdiggity's Avatar
    From
    Jackson, Mi
    Nov 28, 2016, 8:48 PM - Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Discovery Build #33

I have tomorrow off of work, so I went ahead and started the print. We'll see how it goes!!
    From
    California
    Nov 28, 2016, 10:44 PM - Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Discovery Build #34

Can't wait to see how the 24 hour print comes out!
  10. Valiant Poultry RPF Premium Member Gimpdiggity's Avatar
    From
    Jackson, Mi
    Nov 29, 2016, 3:13 AM - Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Discovery Build #35

Here is the rear assembled with no rubber bands.

Here is the sphere after 23% of the printing done.

Last edited by Gimpdiggity; Nov 30, 2016 at 12:30 AM.
    Nov 29, 2016, 7:03 AM - Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Discovery Build #36

Engine module is looking fairly good (as you said: work in progress) Fingers crossed for the Command Module
    From
    Ireland
    Nov 29, 2016, 3:58 PM - Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Discovery Build #37

Gimpdiggity said: View Post
    Possibly. That might create a lot more finishing work than the single piece requires, considering how these prints like to warp just a tad.

I will try doing it in one piece first, and save other options for later if need be.
    I see you've started it already, fingers crossed for you!
  13. Valiant Poultry RPF Premium Member Gimpdiggity's Avatar
    From
    Jackson, Mi
    Nov 29, 2016, 5:30 PM - Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Discovery Build #38

joberg said: View Post
    Engine module is looking fairly good (as you said: work in progress) Fingers crossed for the Command Module
    MML said: View Post
    I see you've started it already, fingers crossed for you!

Thanks for the kind thoughts, guys.

After nearly 22 hours...

It came out really well. The photos don't do it justice...I had another light on in the room and didn't realize that it was creating quite a bit of glare. The detail on it is pretty solid. I think after some primer and paint it will look really good, especially from just a few feet away. Up close you'll probably still be able to make out the print lines, but I'm planning on hanging this model from the ceiling in my media room, so it will be admired from a few feet away no matter what.

I'm happy with the results...

Now it's on to printing the bajillion other little small pieces!!!!

I'll be ordering my metal tubing probably tonight...I'd like to be able to make sure that things fit as I print them...and if they need to be adjusted I can do that on the fly, instead of getting it all done then realizing that things don't fit.
    Last edited by Gimpdiggity; Nov 30, 2016 at 12:31 AM.
    Nov 29, 2016, 6:19 PM - Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Discovery Build #39

Well, that didn't come out too bad Are you gonna use acetone to remove the lines? As for the tube, I don't think that, at that scale, you'll need some monster tube to hold the model.
    What's the weight so far?
  15. Valiant Poultry RPF Premium Member Gimpdiggity's Avatar
    From
    Jackson, Mi
    Nov 29, 2016, 7:19 PM - Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Discovery Build #40

Acetone doesn't work on PLA.

The best ways to smooth it out are:
    A. Use a TON of epoxy, and coat every square inch of every piece. Smooths it out perfectly because of the self leveling properties of the goop. The problem with it is if you end up with areas of the epoxy that weren't mixed really well it can take a LOOOOONG time to cure. I have a Xenomorph chestburster that didn't cure for, literally, about four months in one spot.
    B. Use a good quality wood filler, then sand it smooth. It's really laborious, and with all the tiny details on this piece I'm not sure it's the best choice.

Honestly when i decided to start this project i told myself myself I wouldn't be too concerned with print lines...the epoxy method has let me down before and I don't trust doing it to this model, and the filler method ends up leaving trace amounts of lines anyway. So for now I'm planning on just printing, assembling, and painting. Down the road when I pony up for an SLA machine I'll print another one and not be concerned with lines.

Weight is pretty low. Everything is basically hollow, so there's not much to it. I planned on hanging in two points, so I think really any "spine" will suffice.
    Nov 29, 2016, 11:49 PM - Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Discovery Build #41

i have exactly that same printer, with exactly the same limitation of only being able to print with PLA.

a quick look on google found these two chemicals will smooth PLA like acetone smooths abs:

tetrahydrofuran
    https://www.amazon.com/10097-Industr...etrahydrofuran

and

Ethyl Acetate
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ethyl-Acetat...wAAOxybi9Re0uW

both are just as nasty as acetone, maybe worse, so treat them accordingly. (rubber gloves, ventilated area, etc )

I have also found that the IPS weld-on #3 cement for acrylics seems to melt PLA, but it seems to weaken it somewhat. I have brushed the #3 over the surface with a small hobby brush like you would buy at a hobby shop or arts & crafts store.

Gimp... what resolution are you printing that at?
  17. Valiant Poultry RPF Premium Member Gimpdiggity's Avatar
    From
    Jackson, Mi
    Nov 30, 2016, 12:13 AM - Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Discovery Build #42

tsenecal said: View Post
    i have exactly that same printer, with exactly the same limitation of only being able to print with PLA.

a quick look on google found these two chemicals will smooth PLA like acetone smooths abs:

tetrahydrofuran
    https://www.amazon.com/10097-Industr...etrahydrofuran

and

Ethyl Acetate
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ethyl-Acetat...wAAOxybi9Re0uW

both are just as nasty as acetone, maybe worse, so treat them accordingly. (rubber gloves, ventilated area, etc )

I have also found that the IPS weld-on #3 cement for acrylics seems to melt PLA, but it seems to weaken it somewhat. I have brushed the #3 over the surface with a small hobby brush like you would buy at a hobby shop or arts & crafts store.

Gimp... what resolution are you printing that at?
    Yeah, I've read about those other couple of chemicals...they seem...harsh.

It sounds like what you were doing with the IPS Weld-On was basically the same thing that I was doing with the epoxy. The epoxy works REALLY well...when it's mixed well. The last time I was doing parts with it, they were coming out pretty well except for one or two small areas. I'm guessing it was because I wasn't quite mixing it up well enough...so I gave it one last go and decided to make sure I mixed it up really, really, well...turns out I mixed it up too much...after I started using it, I noticed the plastic cup I had it in had melted and the entire thing was extremely hot...so I'm guessing that I mixed it up TOO much. It's also possible that I had too much of it in the cup...I was trying to mix up a relatively large amount.

I just got tired of having it not cure correctly, so I kind of just gave up. It's possible I had a bad batch of the stuff, but Bob Smith Industries usually puts out pretty good products, so I don't think that would be the case.

I'm printing at .2mm. I was thinking that when I get closer to being done with the rest of the parts, I might give the control module another go at .1mm...just to see if it ends up looking significantly different. In my experience, the parts I've done in .1 that I've also done in .2 don't REALLY seem to show much of a difference in overall quality...but on something like this, it might make a difference.

I have been really thinking of upgrading to the Pro model of my DaVinci printer...which gives me the benefits of the heated print bed and the ability to print ABS...but I've got this one so locked in that I am reluctant to start over with another product only for the ability to go with ABS. I feel like I'd rather spend my money on one of the newer dual headed units that can print support material in PVA glue, which allows you to remove supports by simply submerging the part in water. That's just an awesome feature. Of course, I'm HOPING that SLA printers drop in price to the point where they're actually mildly reasonable in the next year or so...if they do, I'll be SLA all the way.

I've had good luck filling in mild print lines with some high fill primer, which seems to do a good job of smoothing them out. I'm not really sure what kind of paint I can use OVER the high fill primer, though...I'll be getting myself a hobby grade airbrush/compressor to do the paint work on this, so that will be something I need to work out when the time comes.
  18. Valiant Poultry RPF Premium Member Gimpdiggity's Avatar
    From
    Jackson, Mi
    Nov 30, 2016, 12:33 AM - Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Discovery Build #43

As a side note, I just hit "Select All" on a page on my Photobucket account to delete those pictures on that page, but I apparently selected every single picture in my account. So those are all gone now. The pictures on the first page are gone and I have no way of getting them back, as I deleted them from my phone when I uploaded them to Photobucket, because, you know...why would I need them on my phone??

Sigh...sorry about that anyone that's been following the thread. The sad part is, I had nearly 200 photos in that folder that got deleted, and I have virtually no clue what most of them were.
    Nov 30, 2016, 11:29 AM - Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Discovery Build #44

Oh yeah...ethyl acetate; I had forgotten about that nasty product (bad trip on that one, years ago...'nuf said).
  20. Valiant Poultry RPF Premium Member Gimpdiggity's Avatar
    From
    Jackson, Mi
    Nov 30, 2016, 11:51 PM - Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Discovery Build #45

Decided to give the printer, and myself really, a couple of days off. I'll start printing the other couple of parts for the sphere in the next day or so.

I want to thank everyone for their comments and advice.
  21. Valiant Poultry RPF Premium Member Gimpdiggity's Avatar
    From
    Jackson, Mi
    Dec 1, 2016, 1:38 AM - Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Discovery Build #46

Okay I lied...I'm currently printing the collar for the sphere, which is the piece that basically attaches the command module to the rest of the ship.

I also realized that I will probably need to print the cargo containers again...they're very slightly warped and it causes them to not sit correctly on the connectors when they are all glued together...basically they kind of pull up at the sides JUST enough to make it so that they don't make good contact for the glue. So, I decided to reslice the models with some brims on them to see if that cures the issue. I've had very good luck on other parts using brims, so I'm guessing that they'll work fine on this. If not, a bunch of sanding SHOULD solve the issue...but we'll see how the alternate prints go first.
  22. Valiant Poultry RPF Premium Member Gimpdiggity's Avatar
    From
    Jackson, Mi
    Dec 2, 2016, 12:27 AM - Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Discovery Build #47

Update for the day.

I got the piece printed that's called the "collar." It's the piece that goes on the back of the sphere and kind of tapers that piece back into the overall shape of the rest of the ship.

The collar printed really well, and it showed me that my sphere actually had a VERY tiny bit of warping on one of it's sides...not really noticeable and I was able to sand it out so it seemed to fit just fine.

One thing I'm noticing about this section of the ship, from this model and from the reference pictures I've been using online is that the command section of the ship almost looks as if it was designed to detach from the rest of the ship at some point in time...like the sphere could be jettisoned from the entire thing. I've not watched the movie in YEARS, so I guess it's possible that this is actually mentioned, or possibly mentioned in some publication about the film, but it just looks as if that's the case.

When I'm assembling it, I'm not going to use a ton of epoxy around the edges of the collar/sphere because of the fact that it appears to me like it's designed to come apart if it were an actual ship...the fit will be tight enough that it won't be noticeable, yet it will leave it "separated" enough that you'll be able to tell they are two distinct pieces. I feel that if I use epoxy around the sides of it, that some of the epoxy could seep out to the very edges and give it the appearance that it's one solid piece, which seems to go against the reference photos. It doesn't help that reference photos of this section of the ship seem to be primarily from OTHER models, though...as most of the angles of scenes from the film I've found show the Discovery from a 3/4 angle from the front, so the area where the sphere actually makes connection to the "rest" of the ship is hidden by the shape of the sphere itself.

I also tonight was able to get a good print from the three cargo modules, and actually assembled one to make sure it will go together well. I think it's going to work out just fine.

I'm currently printing the final two parts of the front command module, and then I'll be down to the point where I only have cargo modules and couplings to print, other than the dish assembly. As I've mentioned, the dish assembly is supposed to be a pretty difficult print...I'm going to give it a few shots, and then if need be I'll just have Shapeways print it for me and ship it to me...I'm not going to let one difficult piece that doesn't work end up ruining the entire model for me. I'd rather have it printed somewhere else than try to skip it or adjust it to the point where it just doesn't look good.

In my true style, this project that I was planning on having last me for a VERY long time will probably end up being done other than paint before I even know it. I do this with RC stuff, too...buy a nice kit planning on putting a section together every night for a month, and get it done in two sittings.

The good thing, though, is that since I don't really have much else going on with my printer, when I get all of the parts done I'm going to give it another go on the command module at .1mm resolution to see how the detail looks, and I'll do it over a raft so that the tiny bit of warpage probably negates itself. If that one comes out, it's possible I may experiment a little with brushing on the epoxy to see how the pieces end up looking. I'm actually a bit disappointed...I threw away the parts that weren't working out for whatever reason with the trash this past week...what I should have done was saved those side pieces of the drive section and tried the epoxy that I have now on them to see how it cured and if it maintained it's detail. I'm using some of the Gorilla epoxy that comes in the dual syringe so it's basically impossible to get the mixture ratio incorrect...it's more expensive to do it this way than it is to buy the larger bottles of BSI epoxy, but at least this way I know I'm not managing to mix it incorrectly. Push comes to shove I'll just print another part of the drive unit JUST to see how it works...I wouldn't even need to print the whole thing, I could print half of it then cancel the print and just epoxy the detail that has already printed.

Oh, I also finally glued the actual engine portions into that rear drive unit...they'd just been press fit in there, but seeing as I'm pretty much done with that section I figured it was time to get them permanently attached.
    Dec 2, 2016, 7:25 AM - Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Discovery Build #48

That collar looks good and you're right, the main command module could be detached from the main ship. Details that the NASA consultants on pre-production thought would make sense.
  24. Valiant Poultry RPF Premium Member Gimpdiggity's Avatar
    From
    Jackson, Mi
    Dec 2, 2016, 2:13 PM - Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Discovery Build #49

joberg said: View Post
    That collar looks good and you're right, the main command module could be detached from the main ship. Details that the NASA consultants on pre-production thought would make sense.
    Okay thanks. I knew it looked like that, and the "I pay too much attention to NASA" part of me said it would be logical for it to separate really kicked in.

Im going to get an airbrush ordered tonight, and then I'll start researching paints for it.
  25. Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Dec 2, 2016, 3:27 PM - Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Discovery Build #50

Your Discovery is looking pretty good. 2001 is one of my favorite movies and spent around 2 years making CGI models of some of the ships. Would love to do them with a 3D printer, but was wondering if the lines from the different layers would be visible after painting? How much prep work would be required in order to get a smooth paint job so it doesn't look 3D printed?