Cheapie Rubie's First Order Stormtrooper mods - FINISHED!

Re: Cheapie Rubie's First Order Stormtrooper mods

This is looking unbelievable. It’s totally unrecognisable from the off the shelf look. I’ll never be able to look at mine the same now

Just keeps getting better every time you post.
Your gonna have to change the thread title soon to "Bada$$ First Order Stormtrooper Helmet".
Robert

Thanks all for the kind words! :thumbsup

The next step is the section of armour over the 'nose'. That's going to be crucial as it's a subtle shape and could spoil the whole look of the thing.

Where on earth did u find that screen?!

I was lucky with this as I came across a company here in the UK called "The Mesh Company" (a logical, if unimaginative, name for a company that makes mesh!) who sold exactly what I was looking for http://www.themeshcompany.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=hex&PN=2mm%2dHexagonal%2dHole%2d%2d%2d2%2e5mm%2dTriangular%2dPitch%2d%2d1mm%2dThickness%2d%2d%2d%2dPerforated%2dMetal%2dMesh%2d%2d%2dMild%2dSteel%2d442%2ehtml#SID=96.

Just wanted to add my appreciation for your work - I too picked up the Black Series lid and used it for signatures, I'm also looking for a TFA helmet for a similar project .... this has given me some food for thought

Mal Skelton

Thank you Mal! :)

I went the full works with mine because it looked undersized compared to the Black Series. However, if you're not too fussy about the size difference, the look of the Rubie's First Order helmet can be massively improved just be cutting out the black hex mesh area and replacing it with proper mesh, replacing the netting eyes with tinted acrylic and giving the whole thing a decent paint job. So if you don't want to go too crazy you can make something pretty decent for signatures out of the basic Rubie's helmet without too much drama.

I was lucky with this as I came across a company here in the UK called "The Mesh Company" (a logical, if unimaginative, name for a company that makes mesh!) who sold exactly what I was looking for

Might there be any chance you'd be willing to snag another of those sample sheets and send it my way here in the US...? I'm working on one of these and Rubies' even worse "deluxe" two-piece Phasma helmet of the same scale. I have a crap-ton of mesh from another UK firm (that would only sell by the full sheet) of the right size for a full-scale First Order Stormtrooper, but looks noticeably too big on these buckets.

It's nice to see we generally take the same approach with our mods. I, too, filled the cheek boxes. I, too, am templating and scratch-building correct latches. I keep hoping someone will put scaled "mic tips" up on Shapeways so I don't have to try to recreate that in ~85% scale. I can. I'm a bit of a hot hand with brass and plastic tubing. It'd just be nice to have one less thing, you know? *chuckle* About the only thing I did differently was to use masking and striping tape to keep my line-scribing where I wanted it.

Keep this up. It's inspiring me to not give up on mine. :)

--Jonah

Jonah, you're braver than me taking on that Phasma helmet - it's an absolute shocker!

The Mesh Company ship to the US (but I don't know what their delivery charges are like) but I can certainly order another sample sheet and forward it on if you're stuck. Having increased the size of my Rubie's lid from the original 85% size to around 95% (I'd guess) the mesh holes are slightly too small (but look better than the next size up) but, as you say, should be ideal for an unmodified size helmet.

I'm undecided what to do about my 'mic tip' at present. I've tidied up the original Rubie's one a bit and might see how that looks once it's got some paint on it. I did consider turning an aluminium one myself but I'll see how a modified Rubie's part looks first I think.

Edit: Forgot say, Jonah - show us some pics!!!

Last edited:

Jonah, you're braver than me taking on that Phasma helmet - it's an absolute shocker!

Yeaaaaaahhh... I was a bit annoyed. I ordered it online, figuring it would be the same construction as the Stormtrooper I'd picked up in the store. Conveniently, it's so thin, I can overlay it on the Stormtrooper helmet to clean up where the separation lines should be, and I used some reaaaally thin strips of styrene to join front to back. When I finish getting set up to work with fiberglass, I'm going to reinforce the inside with a layer or two of fiberglass tape. Then the frown can get cut out and backed with screen. I just need to figure out the return edge underneath the helmet. *sigh*

I've gotten good at making silk purses out of pigs' ears over the years...

Edit: Forgot say, Jonah - show us some pics!!!

I will once I finish getting my Flickr set up. I hate how it doesn't physically move your images to the albums to set them to. So as you get more and more assigned, you have to take longer and longer to go through aaaaaaaaaalllllllll of the pictures on there to find the ones that you still need to put in an album. I've sent them an e-mail requesting that the already-assigned images at least get greyed out to indicate they've been put somewhere.

--Jonah

Hi all, back with a bit more progress to report - the armour panel on the front. This is a bit of a cheat if I'm honest. To my eye, this is a part which really has to look 'right' otherwise it spoils the whole character of the helmet. The problem is that, in order to make it conform to the original Rubies shell, I had to form the mesh section into a shape which wasn't going to be a perfect match for the armour section on top of it. I therefore made the armour section the shape I wanted by mounting it on little 'feet' of the appropriate height to sit on the mesh. It's made from styrene sheet heated and curved to shape. I built up the edges, to give the impression of thickness, by laminating thinly cut strips of styrene.There's a touch of filler thrown in for good measure too. You can see the 'feet in the rear view photo below,
Rubies-Mod23.jpgRubies-Mod22.jpg
This means the armour section doesn't fit tightly to the mesh all the way around but I've kept the gaps to a minimum and I think it looks OK on the whole. One side effect is that it provides for some airflow inside when wearing it! I'd rather keep the overall character of the helmet so it is a bit of a compromise for sure...but then so is almost everything else on this thing! :)
This is the effect when fitted and given a quick coat of primer,
Rubies-Mod26.jpgRubies-Mod25.jpgRubies-Mod24.jpg
Not sure I'll get much more done over the next couple of weeks so have a great Christmas everyone! :thumbsup

Last edited:

You: Looks guys this isn't perfect, I've cheated and it has 9000 issues

Me: You what... Looks like the film prop to me. I couldn't do anything close to that.

Thanks everyone!

You are a frickin animal!

Aww, that's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me! :lol

But, I've been looking at that head-on photo and I reckon I need to raise the lower 'lip' a bit so that it's a bit more pointy. Here's a bit of Photoshop fakery to show what I mean.

Before...
Rubies-Mod25.jpg
(Simulated) After...
Rubies-Mod25-amended.jpg

What do you think?

Last edited:

The top lip has some changing curvature too. https://goo.gl/images/VBBrr4

I think the episode 8 mouth looks better though, and that piece is the same thickness and angle on all the edges. A simple piece of sintra cut to shape could do the job easily. https://goo.gl/images/wyD2N9

Other than a few slight changes the mouth area, this thing looks as close to perfect as I'd say anyone could make one of these rubies lids. Simply amazing work!

Last edited:

Thanks OldKen.:thumbsup

To be honest this thing is only ever going to be an approximation of the real thing as there are some fundamental issues with the original Rubie's helmet that I just have to live with and work around. For example the cheek boxes are too far back so the face armour is wider than it should be which affects the shape and contours of it. So long as I can capture the 'character' of the thing I'll be happy though.

I'm certainly going to tweak it where I can though. It's funny, it's easier to notice things when looking at photos rather than the real thing sometimes!!! :)

Thanks OldKen.:thumbsup

To be honest this thing is only ever going to be an approximation of the real thing as there are some fundamental issues with the original Rubie's helmet that I just have to live with and work around. For example the cheek boxes are too far back so the face armour is wider than it should be which affects the shape and contours of it. So long as I can capture the 'character' of the thing I'll be happy though.

I'm certainly going to tweak it where I can though. It's funny, it's easier to notice things when looking at photos rather than the real thing sometimes!!! :)
Thank you so much for your post. Inspired me to work on a bucket myself. I cut out the plastic and using metal mesh from a laptop cooler and modded a motorcycle visor to fit the bucket. Hopefully some paint soon.
0072cab91074d804c19668898284d691.jpg
6da6cf0463624b4a904ab83c1dc3d5a1.jpg
c25c37ccc2ba81a734d8cf249daba39f.jpg
9800ed098aad763e330e1d5102b33e50.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for your post. Inspired me to work on a bucket myself. I cut out the plastic and using metal mesh from a laptop cooler and modded a motorcycle visor to fit the bucket. Hopefully some paint soon. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171220/0072cab91074d804c19668898284d691.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171220/6da6cf0463624b4a904ab83c1dc3d5a1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171220/c25c37ccc2ba81a734d8cf249daba39f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171220/9800ed098aad763e330e1d5102b33e50.jpg

Also for the "Mic tip" have you considered using one from a Disney store stormtrooper mask?

https://www.shopdisney.com/first-or...0766!&ef_id=Wa0VpgAAAPb2fMf-:20171220083132:s
2438568b1ffd4e2806108b9c1cd5ea99.jpg

That's a lovely job KyloRenz. Just goes to show that the basic Rubie's helmet can be made into something very nice looking with some proper mesh, lenses and a re-paint. Great work Sir!

I'm going to be using a cut-down motorcycle visor too. Mine's not quite as bulbous as yours but has enough curvature to give a good convex impression while fitting tightly against the edges of my eye holes. I just hope I don't knacker it when when I'm cutting it out! I've embedded threaded brass inserts in Milliput around the edge of my visor area so I can fit the visor with screws.

Also for the "Mic tip" have you considered using one from a Disney store stormtrooper mask?

I don't think the Rubie's mic tip looks too bad actually. I plan to use mine with a bit of a mod.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back