Eclipse’s playmates Tricorder thread!

Re: Another GMProps playmates Mark VII Tricorder

Hey eclipse74569,
I too have done a few modified Playmates Tricorders in my time.
I think it is the most modified/enhanced toy ever done.
It has plenty of possibilities for body modifications, electronics and paint.

This is a good project to build skills for future projects. You are doing a wonderful job.

These days with 3D printing which makes thinks much more simple, I think for me, doing it all by hand gives me
much more satisfaction in the final result of a job well done.
Below is one of the last Tricorder modifications I've done. It incorporates many of the things I learned from past builds.

This Playmates Tricorder toy has a completely modified top to resemble the Voyager Tricorder and a "real, actual click sound"
during opening and closing. No "click sound effect" or timing problems. It also has sound as well as power in the door for the LEDs..
I did all the decal graphics too and larger screen and electronics of my own design. It all runs on a standard, easily found 9v battery.

Can't wait to see your completed version :)
Good luck.

P.S Don't forget about watching COSPLAY Melee tonight at 10pm on SyFy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIVrlf3EEfE

Last edited by a moderator:
Another GMProps playmates Mark VII Tricorder

My video is in the last post lol

It's linked to my Facebook page, but I may be contacting you about your phaser Mods soon. Specifically the 16 LED setting meter.

Last edited:

Bumping to see if anyone would be interested in buying graphics for their PM Tricorder.

Well, updating this to let y’all know, I’m planning on making a Mark VI version of the playmates tricorder. Wish me luck, I’m gonna have to scratch build the hand scanner lol

So here is the start of my work. I’m gonna be using Arduino for this one...IF I can learn how to program this the way I want [emoji23]. I think I have it covered, I’m receiving some ATMEGA 328’s sometime soon to work with as slaves.

d67ab7109eecac59652f83f47a6bdc7a.jpg

Just wanted to give a reply and say this project isn’t dead just going slowly, I’m doing my best to learn how to program in Arduino, and I’m having a bit of trouble that I’m sure will work out soon :)

Just wanted to give a reply and say this project isn’t dead just going slowly, I’m doing my best to learn how to program in Arduino, and I’m having a bit of trouble that I’m sure will work out soon :)

I have been working on a light sequence with Arduino, if you still need help. Got 98% of it working. Maybe we can help eachother. Let me know!

After literally two decades of trying to track one of these down in my country, I got one a year and a half ago. Cost me too much and was too difficult for me to track down to even think about modifying it. (80 eur + S&H)

But I shall be following this thread with great interest.

I have been working on a light sequence with Arduino, if you still need help. Got 98% of it working. Maybe we can help eachother. Let me know!

I would definitely love that! Basically right now I’m making a mark VI variant so I wouldn’t need very many blinkies lol! How did you get yours working? And which controller are you using?

I would definitely love that! Basically right now I’m making a Mark VI variant so I wouldn’t need very many blinkies lol! How did you get yours working? And which controller are you using?

eclipse74569, Great!!
I am using an Arduino Nano with all the lights and blinkis for my Playmates TR560 upgrade. This is just a little homemade project because I can't really afford any of the professional kits. With Arduino, I can do a multitude of blinkies and whatnots and I even have my little LCD screen that I am generating graphics on but that is currently on its own Nano controller.
It took a while to figure out the code for the Arduino Sketch but with a lot of trial and error (and very little and unfriendly help from the Ardiuno community) I figured out how to do it. And all running of of one Nano controller.

20190804_105902.jpg
20190724_105621.jpg

eclipse74569, Great!!
I am using an Arduino Nano with all the lights and blinkis for my Playmates TR560 upgrade. This is just a little homemade project because I can't really afford any of the professional kits. With Arduino, I can do a multitude of blinkies and whatnots and I even have my little LCD screen that I am generating graphics on but that is currently on its own Nano controller.
It took a while to figure out the code for the Arduino Sketch but with a lot of trial and error (and very little and unfriendly help from the Ardiuno community) I figured out how to do it. And all running of of one Nano controller.

View attachment 1044971 View attachment 1044972

That is pretty damned awesome!!! So, I am using an Arduino Uno, which I’m using to burn codes onto some atmega micro controllers! Would make things much easier for me to make things a bit permanent!

That is pretty damned awesome!!! So, I am using an Arduino Uno, which I’m using to burn codes onto some atmega micro controllers! Would make things much easier for me to make things a bit permanent!

Depending on what you want it to do, you should be able to run it on the Uno by itself. I wished I had some atmega controllers but I am making due with the Nano. It's hard to see but I still have 5 ports available on my Nano to add soundcard controller that hasn't come in yet.

Depending on what you want it to do, you should be able to run it on the Uno by itself. I wished I had some atmega controllers but I am making due with the Nano. It's hard to see but I still have 5 ports available on my Nano to add soundcard controller that hasn't come in yet.

The Uno is a bit too big for this project (can’t afford the nano yet). So I’m looking to solder a micro controller to a PCB board and go from there.

I got the Nano knock off I guess. It uses the same processor and it only cost me $1.35, free shipping. (AliExpress and eBay). Works perfect for what I wanted to do. But the code/sketch will work on the Uno as well.

Beside the SD soundboard, I am also waiting on some micro LEDs and a PCB board to put everything on.

20190804_202953.jpg
20190804_103048.jpg
20190804_103101.jpg
20190804_102951.jpg

Last edited:
So, my question is, what functions do you use to make all of the blinkies go simultaneously instead of going one after another? I’m curious!

And is your viewscreen gonna be animated!?!

So, my question is, what functions do you use to make all of the blinkies go simultaneously instead of going one after another? I’m curious!

I just use Millis Intervals. No Delay functions as it prohibits the LEDs to run simultaneously. Here is a short video of it here.

And is your viewscreen gonna be animated!?!

Yes, the viewscreen/LCD is already animated but I need to add some more graphics. Originally I wanted to have the 'Device Input' buttons functional and change to different animations, but as I mentioned, so far, no one on the Arduino forum has been kind enough to help me figure that out. So for now, it will just display animations by itself.

Last edited:
I just use Millis Intervals. No Delay functions as it prohibits the LEDs to run simultaneously. Here is a short video of it here.

Yes, the viewscreen/LCD is already animated but I need to add some more graphics. Originally I wanted to have the 'Device Input' buttons functional and change to different animations, but as I mentioned, so far, no one on the Arduino forum has been kind enough to help me figure that out. So for now, it will just display animations by itself.

Ok, cool, I will definitely read up on those and watch tutorials on millis. I am also considering using an LCD screen for my viewscreen. I also have a Mark VII Medical (also playmates) I’m planning on modding a bit as well, this will be useful!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back