"Jurassic Park" Alan Grant Cosplay/Con Opinion Question

Going to a con in the first week of Jan as Alan Grant from "Jurassic Park" and my son, who's nine, is joining me (for his first con!) as Tim. I'm opting for us to go as "post T-Rex attack" survivor versions... Covered in dried mud, cut up and disheveled. With my son possibly being "post electrocution" Tim with his hair standing up and the bandanas wrapped around his wrists.

I'm trying to fight the temptation to NOT break down and finally buy a Tokyo Mauri SPAS w/ folding stock to add a lil' "cool factor" to my Grant as obviously I can't have the hat on (as he looses it in the Rex break out) and just want a few more cool 'accessories' to my costume. I'm also going with my friend who's going as Negan from TWD and I sorta want to have a cool weapon too haha.

What is the community's opinions on this? Expense aside, is it too jarring to pair 'survivor' Grant w/ the SPAS -- since he really only had it in one scene and isn't really known for being a "gun toting" type of guy or do you think it'd complete the "weathered" (final) version of the character I'm going for...? Would it take away from our costumes at all?

Please chime away with your thoughts!! ;-)

grant spas.jpg

Last edited:
Just a suggestion, and even though it's more accurate to the actual t-rex scene, you would be holding a flare. Or perhaps one of the eggs that he stumbles across.

Sure they are like the gun and he only has them in his hands for a scene, but it's a few little things that you could use that will make people go "hey that's the egg he found!"

Of course you would need to nail the 'life found a way' shocked face for the egg when it comes to photos, or the waving of the flare, but it will help nail the character :)

You don't need a shotgun for "survivor" Grant when you'll have your son as electrocuted Tim. Having one wouldn't take away from the look but since you're going with someone else who would have a weapon, the shotgun can work well enough for you if you two pair up for photos.

Just a suggestion, and even though it's more accurate to the actual t-rex scene, you would be holding a flare. Or perhaps one of the eggs that he stumbles across.

Sure they are like the gun and he only has them in his hands for a scene, but it's a few little things that you could use that will make people go "hey that's the egg he found!"

Of course you would need to nail the 'life found a way' shocked face for the egg when it comes to photos, or the waving of the flare, but it will help nail the character :)

Thanks -- I actually thought of that!! I also have a teenager niece that I'm tryin' to convince to join us as "Lex". I'm also wondering how more important it is to have BOTH kids represented than worry over the gun. Thoughts on that?

Thanks -- I actually thought of that!! I also have a teenager niece that I'm tryin' to convince to join us as "Lex". I'm also wondering how more important it is to have BOTH kids represented than worry over the gun. Thoughts on that?

Having all three characters together would definitely be much cooler than just two.

Personally, I think having the gun might detach it slightly. If it were me (and that's only because I like each character you are cosplaying to have their own unique prop to spark memories in people, bringing them more joy when they see the costume) I would go yourself with a dino shell, Tim as being electrocuted and Lex with a spoon of jelly, shaking (because that's one scene that always makes me laugh for some reason and I remember it).

Haha, yeah I agree. I'm also tempted to get one of those giant inflatable Rex costumes and have a friend chase us around (in part) at the con but I'd be funding all of this and the $$$ adds up after a while and it sucks because our con is a WEEK after X-mas.. :unsure

Thanks for the feedback; will in the least reconsider the addition of Lex (if she comes I definitely wont be able to afford the SPAS but also wouldn't need it). :)

Just remember any hand prop will have to be carried around all day.
The rifle will get heavy.

You will also have to deal with Con security and all the idiots that will want to hold it or try to take it from you.

UPDATE!

I've decided to say "screw it" and cave in and just go as regular "non distressed" Grant and Tim. I guess I just really want to have the hat haha. Plus this way we can have more props: a JP brochure, the raptor claw, Tim's book, schoolbag etc.

My niece can't join us and I really don't feel like doing all the distressing to the clothes between now and the con with X-mas looming... Plus since its just gonna be us dudes it makes sense to go as the characters in their full get ups since Tim obviously patterns his wardrobe after Grant; it'll look better IMO.

I can always go as distressed Grant in the future another time perhaps.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback! Will still post pics if interested. :cool

So, Wizard World NOLA Comic-Con was this past weekend so I just thought I'd post a few pics of the son and I in our Grant & Tim costumes. Overall, I am pretty pleased with how things came out and we, to my mild surprise, got a lot of compliments on our cosplays and I had more than one young kid (ages 13 and younger) come up to at various points and ask me, "Excuse me. Are you Alan Grant?" so that made my day. :)

That's again to those who previously contributed feedback to this discussion. Now for a few pics:

photo 4.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

Thanks for looking,
Mike

You made the right choice! I don't associate Alan Grant and guns in the least. That hat, however, is iconic.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back