Underground WGN - Prop Builds

Creole

First thread for me, I'm pretty new to the forum. My shop mainly runs historic props / weapons / tools but I've started branching out into non-traditional building materials (at least to me they are) and hence my joining the forum. I introduced myself in the appropriate section but figured I would start discussion on a show we did last year.

These are my two favorite prop builds for season one of WGN's Underground.

Newborn's Coffin

Director asked for something "special" ie the craftsmen making the coffin was talented and had a emotional connection to the child and circumstances. I came up with the design to incorporate a Roman Cross with a Sankova draped over it. The Sankova is a traditional African symbol often found in burial / coffins among slave colonies so it was my bridge between the gospel culture portrayed in the script with the old world they left. It is Cypress lumber and hand carved. As I was completed the coffin my wife called to say she thought she was in labor with our second son... and the coffin was due on set in two days! I quickly finished it, rushed home and 4 hrs later we had a new baby boy! My wife still tells people about how I was fielding calls from production while she was mid delivery - I'll never live that down.
Photo Apr 07, 3 53 03 PM.jpgPhoto Apr 07, 4 24 31 PM.jpgPhoto Apr 10, 2 55 53 PM.jpgPhoto Apr 13, 7 49 32 AM.jpgzeke holding coffin3.jpgPhoto May 02, 3 42 07 AM.jpg

Frog Jack's Wooden Leg
This was off-set turned from a pine log to give a calf muscle then articulating hinges, a hinged ankle and a foot with a leather sole and steel heel plate finish it off. We ended up remaking the leather thigh cuff but I never did take pictures of the final.

Photo Apr 20, 4 29 43 PM.jpgPhoto Apr 20, 5 45 23 PM.jpgPhoto Apr 23, 4 35 04 PM.jpgPhoto Apr 23, 4 35 29 PM.jpg
Frog Jack and I between takes on a late rainy night.
Photo Jun 23 6 31 47 PM.jpg

Hope you all enjoy a builds. They were both a lot of fun. ps, Season 2 is nearing completion but due to logistics I think we probably did more work for set dec this season than for props.

regards,

Beck
Creole Project Builders

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back