"All wings report in." My Red 1-6 X-Wing Project

Re: "All wings report in." My Red 1-6 X-Wing Project

Thanks, didn't know this!

Any insight into why the differences exist?

I noticed the scorch marks on the forward fuselage of Red Leader was missing in Rogue One. Perhaps, during the battle of Scariff was where Garvin picked up that scorch mark...

I really don't know.

You would think ILM would respect their legacy designs but they seem to favor the copy/paste method with a single digital model. All the x-wings in RO are all the same with only minor variations between them.

In TFA all the x-wings are bang on the same, no changes at all. Black leader is the same as the blue x-wings, just color swaps. In the special edition of ANH all the digital x-wings are Red 2 with minor changes to the side band. In ESB Red 5 is a repaint of Red 3.

Its a mess and I have only studied a fraction of the reference on all the x-wings.
This lack of continuity has always bothered me.... I have so much respect for the original models and props, just seems like a slap in the face to their legacy.

Re: "All wings report in." My Red 1-6 X-Wing Project

Toad, robn1 is correct. I'm working on the ANH versions of the red squadron. The bandai red leader pack is correct for Rouge One, which is not correct to build Garven's bird.

Thanks, didn't know this!

Any insight into why the differences exist?

From Gareth Edwards himself, many aesthetic decisions in R1 were done to make "Star Wars as you remembered it," not Star Wars as it actually was. This was mostly stated to justify things like the pilot uniforms being different (true flight suits rather than dyed boiler suits) but it probably applies to the X-Wing deco as well. And who's to say Garven rode the same X-Wing in R1 and ANH (besides the unlikelihood of a canonically resource-strapped Rebellion...keep calm and continue suspending your disbelief).

As to the various cloned fighters in R1, I've done my own analysis and I've determined that at least four different Blue Squadron X-Wings were textured - Blue One, Two, Three, and Four, plus the U-Wing Blue Nine. Blue Two is seen both smashing into the shield gate right after Blue Six, and subsequently destroying the Star Destroyer's shield tower minutes later (where Blue Four's pilot footage was shown). It's my belief that the production order made it so that the Star Destroyer was meant to be disabled before the flight through the shield gate (and Torius Chord's entire character arc involved destroying and being destroyed by Imperial shields), but the scenes were ultimately reversed in editing and a different pilot's footage was inserted to maintain some kind of continuity. Red One and Red Two were both also seen on Yavin.

On the other hand, during the Battle of Scarif, there was also a closeup of an astromech that simultaneously had R4 and R5 domes mashed over each other, so it's totally possible that there was an error in depicting Blue Two after it was destroyed.

Yeah, I've been going through the x-wing and U-wing shots in Rogue one frame-by-frame since it came out on Friday, and there are tons of inconsistencies regarding which members of which squadron are where at what times.

It's extremely likely that it's due to the editing process Rogue one went through, and it doesn't bother me at all - it's all stuff you'll only notice peeping individual frames. I'm planning a mixed red/blue squadron of 144th scale x-wings :).

Also plenty of time between R1 and ANH for red leader to pick up some battle damage and replacement panels.

Awesome job, love them. Like the others I thought your Revells looked great but I guess you weren't happy with the detail in the kits. I'd love to hear more about your painting/weathering process, the weathering on these is as good as I've seen. I'd love to hear some tips for the painting.

i agree. what are your techniques for painting, masking, weathering, etc.

Thanks!
D

One question though. I know you said you made changes from template to build, but I was wondering why you left out a red painted panel on the top front surface of the fuselage. In the template the red marking both go out to the same length, but on your paint-up they are skewed, the left stopping short one panel. Is there a reason for that? Or is it just that it's difficult to see in the reference which is correct?

Red-6-006.jpg

Last edited:
i agree. what are your techniques for painting, masking, weathering, etc.

Thanks!
D

So... I base paint all the x-wings with krylon matt white over gray primer. All the colored panels and what not are brush painted with Testors enamel. Only decals I use are the red wing markings. Well, and the spirals for the laser lances on Red 3, 4, 5. I seal the decals with testors dull coat. I then do a grime colored acrylic wash (brown/black) over the entire model. I lean more black for the engine areas. Not sealing the white in a clear coat before the wash is key. The staining effect gives me the off white color and the variation in the finish overall.

After the wash is cleaned up I weather with micro pens and pastel chalks for the burns and dark scratches. Chipping is done reductive, meaning I scratch off or sand off the paint down to the white or the primer. Rust and oil is very thin acrylic but a bit thicker than a wash. I let that stain the surface and build it up slowly to get the effect I'm after. For example a light rust stain would be a single pass, deeper rust like in the droid trench is 2 or 3 layers, black, brown, orange brown.

Then the whole thing gets a final coat of dull coat.

Did that help?

I want a "panel map" of all of the goldenrod panels across all of these fighters. To my cursory evaluation, there's no duplication. I find myself wondering if there was an all-yellow X-Wing the Rebels acquired that they stripped for parts and replacement panels... I may build such a model with all the panels Red Squadron's using removed showing the guts underneath, engines and cannons dismounted, cockpit gutted... *chuckle*

These are beautiful. My only semi-criticism is the colors look a little too bold for the scale. If I ever attempt something this ambitious I'd scale the colors (there's a calculation for how much white to add to fade them out that I can't be bothered to check right now). I also wouldn't tackle Red Squadron until I was able to see what I could see of the rest of it (7-12). Ultimately, I don't know that I have the shelf space for all of Gold, Red, and Blue that I would want to display, so I'll likely use your work as reference for the X-Wing miniatures (so I can have full rosters to pick from to field for given missions). At least Scarif and Yavin are a bit easier to research than Endor. That battle is a cinematic mess. One for-instance? The same guy is both Gray Leader and Red Two. And it gets worse from there.

--Jonah

Jonah,

Right, where is all the blue, yellow, and tan coming from? What does a full color x-wing look like? I have always chalked some of the color up to the pilot pained it that way and other panels as replacements, mainly the gray ones.

To my knowledge 7-11 where never made, pyro maybe. There is a few reference shots floating around of Red 12. Good note about tinting down the colors. I have done for a few, the lighter blues and grays.

That's why I need to revisit Red Leader's trench run. His two wingmen were theoretically Reds 10 and 12, and so thus should have different markings from 1-6. The Special Edition is useless, so...

As far as non-squadron colors... *sigh* So much has changed, rechanged, and changed again. I stick with original intentions, because they make the most sense. The shift from Republic to Empire was gradual and more recent, the pilots' flight gear and helmets are Republic-era, some of the older pilots are Republic veterans, the helmet markings are Republic-era squadron markings, etc. So I am entirely comfortable saying the off-white-with-primary-color scheme is the military color scheme. Retaining it makes sense, as the formal name for the Rebellion was "The Alliance to Restore the Republic". Some, like Red 3, would be repainted to that standard from later surplus, hence the error in wing marking placement. For continuity, I would have loved it if they had gone into the Battle of Scarif pristine, and come out with all the scorch marks, damage, and the replacement panels slapped on in haste to go up against the Death Star from parts ships on hand. Also, in my headcanon, Red 5 just got shot up a bit and the pilot wounded. Thus, Luke getting his ship when he couldn't fly a couple days later.

Post-Yavin, those panels would have been painted the best approximation of the standard color scheme. If I'm feeling subtle, I'll advocate slight differences in main and secondary colors to show they were painted from different sources at different times and merely trying to match.

--Jonah

Red Leader is shown in the trench with Red 5 in one shot. The two shots of Red Leader coming at camera he is solo. When his wing men are taken out you only see those two from the stern.

Last edited:
Excellent!

I want a "panel map" of all of the goldenrod panels across all of these fighters. To my cursory evaluation, there's no duplication. I find myself wondering if there was an all-yellow X-Wing the Rebels acquired that they stripped for parts and replacement panels... I may build such a model with all the panels Red Squadron's using removed showing the guts underneath, engines and cannons dismounted, cockpit gutted... *chuckle*

These are beautiful. My only semi-criticism is the colors look a little too bold for the scale. If I ever attempt something this ambitious I'd scale the colors (there's a calculation for how much white to add to fade them out that I can't be bothered to check right now). I also wouldn't tackle Red Squadron until I was able to see what I could see of the rest of it (7-12). Ultimately, I don't know that I have the shelf space for all of Gold, Red, and Blue that I would want to display, so I'll likely use your work as reference for the X-Wing miniatures (so I can have full rosters to pick from to field for given missions). At least Scarif and Yavin are a bit easier to research than Endor. That battle is a cinematic mess. One for-instance? The same guy is both Gray Leader and Red Two. And it gets worse from there.

--Jonah

Jonah,

Right, where is all the blue, yellow, and tan coming from? What does a full color x-wing look like? I have always chalked some of the color up to the pilot pained it that way and other panels as replacements, mainly the gray ones.

To my knowledge 7-11 where never made, pyro maybe. There is a few reference shots floating around of Red 12. Good note about tinting down the colors. I have done for a few, the lighter blues and grays.
I could be wrong, but I always took the various colored panels differences as being over exaggerated due to most of it getting lost in the compositing. When you see them on screen, it is hard to pick out many of the different colors, they wind up look more subtle and uniform

Also, in the case of the red 6 colors the colors might have been toned down at some point before filming. Maybe a light overspray added?

kg_red_6-002.jpg

The on screen look is much more subdued and toned down

Also, using the movies as an "absolute" reference is flawed since they broke continuity several times during the death star attack. For example, the are shot were you can see Red 5 flying with copy of Red 5

LgZiNTA.jpg

in some cases there was more than 1 model representing the same ship, and the panels/blast marking etc... were different (example Red 3 hero vs pyro)

Or the shot with Gold Leader without an astromech etc...

The special editions in some cases just made it worse. They reused many of the same renders
https://starwarsenclair.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/yavin-flyby.png

At any rate, it comes down to whether you want to match the models specifically to a studio model as seen in person, or match more what you see on screen, or some combo of both.

ps

Oz, I love your color maps

Last edited:
Blake, I 100% agree with not using the movies as a guide to anything related to how any of the X or Y wings should look. I think the best course of action is to follow the studio scale guys and and stick with the reference photos that ILM took during filming. Or the photos that pop up from time to time of the original models from private collections. The films tell you nothing of how each ship should look. Glad you like the maps sir.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back