His vocabulistics is limited to “I” and “am” and “Groot,” exclusively in that order.

Sevv

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been working on my next costume, a 9ft Groot. So he's 'full size'. He will work in a very similar way too my Chewie I made a few years ago, stilts etc. My head will be situated in his neck, the biggest difference from my previous work is im planning an animatronic face for Groot. A good friend at work has taken on that responsibility :) he should look around / blink and say random 'I am Groot' phrases every now and then.

groot1.jpg

groot2.jpg

groot3.jpg

groot4.jpg

Really enjoying working on him, great fun. I'll post updates, what nots and thingymabobs here.

He will be a silicone skin backfilled with a flexible foam. Air brushed and detailed with artificial moss etc.

When I started I took an image 'diary GIF'. I'll be the first too admit I haven't kept this up so as you can see this is pretty old now. Still... nice to see.

IMG_0062.GIF

Hope you like him. I'm making this to accompany my good friend Jamie Hicks stunning! Starlord costume.

Last edited:
Re: His vocabulistics is limited to “I” and “am” and “Groot,” exclusively in that ord

Wow, a only googling this costume last night

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Re: His vocabulistics is limited to “I” and “am” and “Groot,” exclusively in that ord

Holy turd blossoms!!! That's an amazing sculpture! You captured Groot's proportions and the texture of bark perfectly.

Some questions:
How long have you been sculpting?
How long did sculpting this take?
What kind of clay is that?
How did you get the bark detail?

Thanks!

Thanks, glad you like him :)

Ive been sculpting for years, both with clay and in Zbrush... I currently work in film special effects. Its hard to say how long this sculpt has taken me, I can only really work on him for a few hours at the weekend as I get home too late during the week. Sometimes I get the odd half an hr though. I started him around the end of July so... wow, thinking in terms of weekends not that long :) especially considering the time it took me to construct the fibreglass and foam under structure.

The clay is Chavant Clay Medium, I buy from Tiranti.

To achieve the wood texture, I took a page from the book of Weta! Ive gathered 3/4 different tree logs and took silicone moulds off there different bark types. Heating the clay up in a microwave oven until its spreadable like butter... spread the clay into the moulds very thinly and as they are still warm, very carefully peel the clay out and carefully apply too your sculpt. You can then layer / interchange the various different barks to achieve the look you are after. Obviously you cant just slap the same bark effect over everything. Its important too have subtle variation like you would when sculpting skin pours. It takes time but the effect if done properly is so awesome too see in person :) always get a buzz when walking into the shed.

Hands down the best Groot I've seen, excellent work.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back