Grey 6: Studio Scale Y-Wing based off Dave G's Open Source Project

scopesmapeo

Jr Member
When I saw Tested's video about Dave G's Y-wing project I knew that it was something I was definitely going to jump on. I have been itching to get a 3D printer, and I figured this project along would be a good way to get started with 3D printing. I have used Shapeways quite a bit for some of my other prop making (lightsaber parts) and model making (scale kits) projects.

Anyway, I love the Y-Wing...it is down, dirty, ugly...my kind of star fighter. I have crafted a Y-Wing out of Lego, and I feel like Dave's files jump started a process that has been sort of a pipe dream for a few years now. My Lego Y needs a wingman and so I have started this journey.

8535975777_a873cf5f6e_z.jpg
BTL A-4 Y-Wing by Scott Peterson, on Flickr

I started with modeling the engine nacelles and the bits and bobs that are so iconic to the Y.

30833415771_e5fe3252f7_z.jpg
Grey 6 Engines by Scott Peterson, on Flickr

30619912240_495f388390_z.jpg
Engine Top by Scott Peterson, on Flickr

My intent is to make a "faithful representation" of the Y, and not get too bogged down in recreating everything perfectly. As you can probably tell the engine details are not exact copies...I wanted this Y to be my own. I went for a "turkey feathers" look on the exhaust nozzles...a nod to the engine exhausts on the X-wing.

I am using Autodesk 123D Design for this project...which can be a fussy program, but I have been using it for awhile and I'm familiar with it. I did some test prints through shapeways, and so far I am encouraged to jump in with both feet!

30833674911_5ecaae001b_z.jpg
Untitled by Scott Peterson, on Flickr

30805226312_4ebcc73ea9_z.jpg

30833674621_7e91a2f2b0_z.jpg

The Saturn V booster needs some redesign work, same with the engine exhaust nozzles. The scale doesn't look right to me...both look too big. So, I will continue to tweak those until I can get them sized correctly.

Last edited:
Are you planning to print the Saturn V parts? I won't bother if I was you, they are fairly cheap on ebay.
The rest is looking great!

L

Are you planning to print the Saturn V parts? I won't bother if I was you, they are fairly cheap on ebay.
The rest is looking great!

L
I just picked up 2 vintage Airfix Saturn V for a little over a c-note. Not expensive in the scheme, but I had to think a minute before hitting the buy it now;)

That's was the first thing that went through my mind too, it's cheaper just to use some of the more readily available parts. I'd think about buying the l'eggs containers too, for example.

Great work , can you tell me what model this the center white piece is modelled off of ?
View attachment 682267

I looked at a lot of pictures. The Bandai model, pictures of the Green Two model [ http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/completed-»-y-wing-green-two/ ], and a lot of google image searches. If I had to pick, the Green Two model was my go to source.

- - - Updated - - -

I ordered up the casts Dave G made of the L'eggs domes, exhaust shrouds, and forward fuselage. Which are fantastic!

That's was the first thing that went through my mind too, it's cheaper just to use some of the more readily available parts. I'd think about buying the l'eggs containers too, for example.

Finalized my engine bits. The orange and teal will be on the top and bottom of the nacelle, blues will be inboard, and the pinks will be outboard. I'll likely get these ordered up through Shapeways in detail plastic later on this week since I really like how the other test parts looked in that material. The Saturn V kits are on the way from Germany.

In the process of moving and re-establishing my workbench...In the meantime, I am going to start roughing out the details for the rest of the Y.

Anyway have any good leads on a pilot figure?

22826381608_96011f78cb_z.jpg
Left Engine Details by Scott Peterson, on Flickr

Thanks Dave!

Looking great! Just added a link to this thread to the One Stop Y Wing sticky.

30631012853_b5f67722f6_z.jpg
Updated Dome Intakes by Scott Peterson, on Flickr

Updated the little intakes scoop things on the front of the nacelle's dome. Like my engine nernies, these are not meant to be 100% screen accurate, but are my interpretation based on looking at multiple photos and models...and suit my aesthetic desires! I think they look pretty darn good.

In the interest of Y-Wings everywhere, you can click the link below to access the .STL file for my engine nernies. That said, please don't go selling these on Shapeways or any other 3D printing services website...because that would be totally un-cool. I made a few tweaks to the nernies that are present in the file. The most obvious is that the "light pink" nernie has a second tube attaching the aft box.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2oK7YVFPuU2YVFIX2J6UjRDcmc

Not sure what happened with my file on the google drive. It should have all the nernies, but only one is showing up. Unfortunately I am away from my desktop until Wednesday night, that will be the earliest I can fix this. Sorry guys!

https://c6.staticflickr.com/6/5731/30631012853_b5f67722f6_z.jpgUpdated Dome Intakes by Scott Peterson, on Flickr

Updated the little intakes scoop things on the front of the nacelle's dome. Like my engine nernies, these are not meant to be 100% screen accurate, but are my interpretation based on looking at multiple photos and models...and suit my aesthetic desires! I think they look pretty darn good.

In the interest of Y-Wings everywhere, you can click the link below to access the .STL file for my engine nernies. That said, please don't go selling these on Shapeways or any other 3D printing services website...because that would be totally un-cool. I made a few tweaks to the nernies that are present in the file. The most obvious is that the "light pink" nernie has a second tube attaching the aft box.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2oK7YVFPuU2YVFIX2J6UjRDcmc

Sorta fixed the problem! Almost all of the port engine files are up, just misssing one. I'll get all of that sorted out this evening. But if anyone was eager to get their hands on something you can use the original link.

Not sure what happened with my file on the google drive. It should have all the nernies, but only one is showing up. Unfortunately I am away from my desktop until Wednesday night, that will be the earliest I can fix this. Sorry guys!

Finalized my engine bits. The orange and teal will be on the top and bottom of the nacelle, blues will be inboard, and the pinks will be outboard. I'll likely get these ordered up through Shapeways in detail plastic later on this week since I really like how the other test parts looked in that material. The Saturn V kits are on the way from Germany.

In the process of moving and re-establishing my workbench...In the meantime, I am going to start roughing out the details for the rest of the Y.

Anyway have any good leads on a pilot figure?

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5825/22826381608_96011f78cb_z.jpgLeft Engine Details by Scott Peterson, on Flickr

Thanks Dave!

Only one I know is right here. HTH http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=269666

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back