My Star Lord Helmet Build - WARNING! PICTURE HEAVY

JonnyT

Back in March this year I bought a resin cast of a Star Lord Helmet from RPF user Crank729 aka L.E. Props via his Etsy store. It arrived, I got excited and then felt uneasy about the amount of work I had to do to it. It was, after all, a blank kit and needed a lot of work to make it look good and I have absolutely ZERO experience with building or making. And so it sat in it's box for months until my wife bought me tickets for my birthday at the start of September for the London MCM Comic Con which was at the end of October. I had just 2 months to get it ready!

Here's my build thread, if you have any questions or comments please feel free to chip in.

Here's the cast as it arrived from Crank:

Once I got the crown cut out the top of it, the eyes roughly cut out and the excess resin at the base cut away it looked a little something like this:

To my dismay, once I had got all the excess material cut away I still couldn't get it on over my head as a once-piece, my head was just too big. I've seen Crank wearing them as a once piece, I'm guessing I've just got a much bigger head :(

This caused me some sleepless nights as I knew I was going to have to cut it in half and make it a two piece if I was ever going to wear it.

After giving it some serious thought I ordered some small, but powerful earth magnets and bought a fibreglass resin kit from my local Halfords.

My plan was simple but terrifying: Cut through one side of the helmet, leaving it semi rigid and still holding it's shape quite well. Then use fibreglass to add an internal panel that spans both front and rear panels, embedding earth magnets to hold it all together securely in the end.

I used one of these:

And one of these:

And made a cut from top to bottom following a natural line (I've attached a picture below of what the "natural line" is, but this is NOT my helmet)

Once I had made the cut I glued two small earth magnets to the front inside section of the helmet, close to the cut. To ensure I had good adhesion between the magnet and the inside of the helmet (both of which have very smooth surfaces) I used a bit of sand paper to rough up one side of the magnet and the spot on the helmet where it was to be glued. This should help prevent the magnet being ripped away from the helmet by the other magnet during use (earth magnets are very strong so use a very good glue or epoxy).

I then coated the front part of the inside of the helmet with vaseline and used sandpaper to rough up the rear inside part of the helmet. Then I applied a layer of fibreglass and resin to cover the cut, my thinking being that it should stick to the roughed up rear section but only form the shape of the front section and pull away from it easily due to the vaseline.

I also embedded the other earth magnets into the fibreglass resin above the ones glued to the front section.

This was the first time I had worked with resin and the first time I had ever used fibreglass so I was pretty concerned at this stage about cocking it up. I Googled and YouTube'd a lot prior to this.

Once this had dried and the helmet was fully rigid again I cut the other side of the helmet along the natural line. I was then able to see if my vaseline plan had worked. It took a little bit of gentle persuasion but eventually the back half came away from the front section and my fibreglass panel remained intact attached to the rear section:

Here's the magnets on the inside of the helmet:

After repeating the process on the other side of the helmet I was left with a helmet that could be pulled apart easily enough, but was strong enough to hold together really well.

Once I had the back off I found it SO MUCH EASIER to get into the intricate areas of the helmet and clean up all my rough cuts. Sanding things down and removing excess resin was a fairly straightforward task at this stage.

But perhaps most importantly, I was able to actually get the bucket on my head for the first time!

So now it was a two piece I was able to get into all those intricate nooks and tight areas and get them cleaned up and sanded, I also cleaned up the fibreglass and rounded off the edges of the resin, then it was time for paint! I started off with a primer for the whole helmet.

In the next post I started to add the base colour which was a gunmetal grey. Scroll on to PART 2 for more!

Last edited:
Very nice work sir. Don't you love all the new skills you learn while doing this hobby? :) When I did my Boba Fett I learnt fibreglassing, silicon mould making and resin casting, simple electronics and soldering .. and the list goes on and on.
Your helmet looks great, I look forward to seeing how you made the Walkman

Very nice work sir. Don't you love all the new skills you learn while doing this hobby? :) When I did my Boba Fett I learnt fibreglassing, silicon mould making and resin casting, simple electronics and soldering .. and the list goes on and on.
Your helmet looks great, I look forward to seeing how you made the Walkman

I certainly feel a lot more confident going forwards with any future projects. I'm just glad I didn't make too many mistakes along the way!

I'll post a build for my walkman soon and share the link, it's not that impressive but I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

PART 2 - Because you can no longer have more than 20 images per post!

Once the primer was all done and dry I started on the coloured paint, Gunmetal grey to begin with:

Once both pieces were given a coat of the gunmetal grey I masked off and applied the tibetan gold:

What followed was a lot of masking. I mean, so much masking, you have no idea. It took forever:

I then applied the silver to the exposed parts:

Next came the red eye lenses. Fot these I used Risu's LED lense kit and some plasticard to fashion the lenses. They have blue lenses on the back to cut out red light!

I used epoxy to fix them in place and the build was almost done:

I went to my first con with the helmet in this state. It wasnt perfect but I ran out of time:

I've since modified the helmet by completing the cheek stripes and replacing the breather tubes with a more screen acurate 3D printed set, also from L.E. Props.

I hope you guys like my build and have maybe found something in this post of interest.

Stay cool A-holes!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back