ANH R2-D2 Build (Weathered CS:R spec)

Well I took almost a year off from R2, but I'm back at it. Picked up right where I left off.

Made some progress on the legs.

C4hS0p3h.jpg

Scored some second hand JAG drives with NPC motors. These things are no joke. Powerful and quiet. And very cool.

WasRQt4h.jpg

1TZCIhRh.jpg

Also finally tackled the center ankle. A New Hope R2 has a unique center ankle in that it has a squared off shape and is noticeably shorter. You don't see this a lot on replicas. I had to make the cuts by hand. This was also a pain.

dpkXYEeh.jpg

After some filling and sanding.

es4qLPkh.jpg

I came up with my own design to attach it to the frame. It uses a bracket to bolt onto the bottom of the frame with four 3/8 bolts. I also got the Vex Pro omni wheels for my front foot. The aluminum channel is just temporary until I build foot shells.

orMglpPh.jpg

These are the four bolts inside the frame.

qVLjac4h.jpg

And here is everything put together.

n45DI0Xh.jpg

BUvr30sh.jpg

Finally up on three feet. Hooked up my little joystick and he rolls around like a champ.

Some more progress. I made some styrene pocket and side vents. I've been trying to keep the weight down, but he sure is getting heavy.

QBIzNdFl.jpg

Also fired up the printer and started making some parts.

XVokCAwl.jpg

The coinslots fit perfectly. I'm going to have to hack up my frame to fit the power couplers though. Not looking forward to that.

OGjI4IEl.jpg

Last edited:
I got this nice aluminum LDP the other day. So much better than the 3D printed one I was going to use.

DpO7p3ql.jpg

I switched over to using Duplicolor Sonic Blue Pearl for the body parts. It looks identical to the purple/blue combo I was doing and is so much easier to use. I should have just used this from the start. Anyway, for anyone looking for an easy rattlecan R2 blue, this is it.

bP5Q0nSl.jpg

He's looking sooooo good. Not much left now. There is nothjng like taking your own AstroMech to a show. You'll be swamped with attention. Kids And adults alike.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back