ANH R2-D2 Build (Weathered CS:R spec)

I had to repaint my radar eye because I got a little too aggressive trying to sand out some of the orange peel in the finish. I think it's all good now. A little orange peel is fine (you can even see some on the real droids) but I think it was too cold or something the first time I painted it and it was bugging me. The radar eye is a tough part to paint.

I also just got a tiny 12v battery for the dome. I had it going all morning with no problems. The plan is to mount this in the dome and have a completely powered dome system that's totally separate from the body. I'm not really sure why I'm doing it this way, but it just made sense to me. Flick a switch in the dome, everything turns on and does it's thing.

Brilliant looking build so far.

Im really interested in the name of the mirror clips you used as I've done a search here in the U.K. And cannot find any similar ones that bend the same way as yours.

cheers

Tony

Brilliant looking build so far.

Im really interested in the name of the mirror clips you used as I've done a search here in the U.K. And cannot find any similar ones that bend the same way as yours.

cheers

Tony

Thanks! The clips are very common in the states and made by many different manufacturers. If you haven't found any locally you'll probably have to order some. Here's one of the packages I had. Are you building a droid as well?

IMG_5171.JPGIMG_5172.JPG

Buddy this is really coming together! The done looks wicked!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks man. The dome is really coming together.

Thanks for that, hopefully it will help me track down some.
I'm building a mostly aluminium CS-L R2 although I have mainly been collecting the parts for the last couple of years but it's now time to start building it :)

Got the wiring in the dome finished up. I'm trying to keep things as simple as I can.

Here is the battery and the switch. I spent a lot of time brainstorming ways to mount the battery. I eventually realized what I should have right away and simply made a bracket that tightens with wing nuts. Holds the battery securely and is easily removable for charging.

All that's left is to permanently attach the panels, but I might hold off on that just in case.

Looks great. I did something similar by adding a self contained battery system in the dome. I'm using an 8.4v RC car battery pack that runs the lights for a good 18-20 hours. Only difference is I have one of the side panels hinged to reach the power switch without taking his head off.

Excellent work so far.

beautiful! i have never worked with the VHB tape, I've used 3m double sided tape. im curious to experiment with VHB. the dome looks perfect buddy, i sure hope i can make something 1/2 as good as yours. this things a piece of work! :thumbsup

Thanks Danny. The VHB tape is cool. Its very sticky, almost like a silicon adhesive but you just stick it wherever you want. Do you have a dome yet or is that still on the list?

This is all really great - very nice job! I'm super jealous - wish I had the room and work area to be able to start a project like this. I'll be watching and cheering on your progress...

Dan

This is all really great - very nice job! I'm super jealous - wish I had the room and work area to be able to start a project like this. I'll be watching and cheering on your progress...

Dan

Thanks! My work space is actually pretty small, but yeah, it's a big project to have around the house.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back