ANH R2-D2 Build (Weathered CS:R spec)

Not a lot of progress lately. I've been cutting out the panels on the skins with my dremel. There's a lot to cut out and all the little tabs need to be filed down afterwards. It's slow going.

But at least I have help!

r2_hug_zps9rgeqkex.jpg

Looking really good. Got my skins fitted today so now I can take them back off and cut out which panels and doors I am having. What are you doing for legs and feet?

I've got the holoprojector moving around. I'm using a REON board and it's programmed to twitch and move randomly. I'm using springs as the linkages and they seem to be working great. The board came with an RGB led that lit up all kinds of colors. I'm not really into that so I replaced it with a plain white led. Not only does it light up only white but it doesn't light up nearly as often now, which I like. You can see it blinking off to the side in the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had the holo back in the dome for a few days now and it's been running with no problems. I used springs for the linkages and they're working perfectly. You can grab the holo and wrench it all around, the springs will just bend. I'm really pleased with this. Still have to clean up the wiring and what not, but R2 is really coming to life.

From one R2 builder to another, I just want to tell you great job so far.
I also want to warn you that while the springs will definitely help with grabbing and wiggling, the thing kids do the most is twist it. They will spin that thing until it twists the wires up and pulls them out of the sockets. I highly recommend adding a mini slip ring to your REON so they can spin to their heart's content without worrying about the wires twisting.
There's a thread on the club forum about it. Search for "holo slip ring". Best couple of hours I've spent on modifications. After 4 events and 4 times repairing the HP, I haven't had to touch it since installing the slip ring.

Last edited by a moderator:
From one R2 builder to another, I just want to tell you great job so far.
I also want to warn you that while the springs will definitely help with grabbing and wiggling, the thing kids do the most is twist it. They will spin that thing until it twists the wires up and pulls them out of the sockets. I highly recommend adding a mini slip ring to your REON so they can spin to their heart's content without worrying about the wires twisting.
There's a thread on the club forum about it. Search for "holo slip ring". Best couple of hours I've spent on modifications. After 4 events and 4 times repairing the HP, I haven't had to touch it since installing the slip ring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4VYiNor4Yk

Thanks Trent! I've seen the slip rings and I agree, it's a great idea. I'm sure I'll be putting one in at some point. The whole holo assembly just pops right out so it's easy to work on.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back