ANH R2-D2 Build (Weathered CS:R spec)

I hooked up a servo just to do a basic test. There will eventually be two servos working together to push and pull the holoprojector but I just wanted to see if things worked. I have never worked with these kinds of electronics before so this is all new to me! The servo will only move in one direction for now so there's not much travel, but it's enough to get the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
every day i enjoy the fact that i've got a life sized r2d2 :)..
I just wish i had the skill to do an advanced dome. with lit up HPs and moveable parts.

it took all i had just to get the one i have now looking that good.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been working on assembling the dome some more. The idea is to use hardware to attach the various parts instead of glue or silicon. Here I used mirror clips to hold the front logic display and they worked great.

I've also been weathering a little as I go. Mainly chipping the paint. He'll get dirtied up real good eventually. I've been hitting the dome with a hammer but it's not very noticeable. I'll have to take things up a notch.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/mattycairns/IMG_2150_zpssolcg3tw.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j...9386779_9157296216566326086_o_zpsany56y2v.jpg

You have to be careful where you drill holes. Everything needs to be covered by the outer dome and the panels.

How did you get those lights? I Thought those where long out of print and replaced with the far more annoying to assemble LED versions?

I thought the LED idea was nice until i tried to put the things together.

every day i enjoy the fact that i've got a life sized r2d2 :)..
I just wish i had the skill to do an advanced dome. with lit up HPs and moveable parts.

it took all i had just to get the one i have now looking that good.

- - - Updated - - -

How did you get those lights? I Thought those where long out of print and replaced with the far more annoying to assemble LED versions?

I thought the LED idea was nice until i tried to put the things together.

It looks like he's using the older style Teece joymonkey light kits. NeilT you talking about the joymonkey teece lights or his new version? All of them use LEDs and all of them generally require assembly. You can still gather the Teece light kits yourself and buy the PCB, either version isn't actually that hard, its just the teece version you have something like 100+ LEDs to solder (I used to sell completed kits) where as the newer joymonkey kit, you just need to use the fiberoptic cables. I help folks build them up and program them, if you need assistance on it just let me know.

I got my leg kit a couple days ago. CNC cut baltic birch. Really nice stuff. Should be rock solid once they're built up.

IMG_2187_zpsua5kuixc.jpg

Last edited:
baltic birch, the only way to roll!! :cool you are seriously making great progress. roughly how many hours a night do you get in?

Liking be me a good R2 build. Mine has been done since 2012. I'll be happy if his feet make it through Rogue One. The one spot where I went budget and shouldn't have.

Your progress looks great! Look forward to more updates.

-Eric

Last edited:
They're the Teeces lights. A ton of LEDs. A couple of guys over at the Astromech boards sell completed kits. I wasn't about to solder all those up if I didn't have to.

Yep, if you search for me under the same username over there too, I used to sell completed kits as well. They are VERY time consuming as well ya, you know seeing them now and eventually just wasn't worth it doing the kits anymore for the price I was selling them at.

i also like how u painted the frame. not only does it look good, but it helps keep moisture out of the wood. great thinking!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy Crap Matt! This is stellar work!!! I like the xbox controller idea too and I hope that works out! Curious on why you chose ANH?

Holy Crap Matt! This is stellar work!!! I like the xbox controller idea too and I hope that works out! Curious on why you chose ANH?

Thank you! ANH Artoo is just the one that I think of when I picture Artoo. It's just my definitive version I guess. Same thing with ESB Fett. Artoo doesn't really change that much from film to film, but the original always seemed like he had a little more character to me. A little more rough around the edges.

Usually an hour or so. Some nights I won't do anything but if I really get into something I can work for a few hours. It's actually going together much faster than I thought it would!

The toughest part is waiting 4 months for parts.

That's just about the limit for me with specialty parts. Threepio was a real killer.

I'm toying around with doing a second Death Star R2. Black and Red, but just the Body and head to have around the house.
I'm still waiting for some one to 3D Print some lighter leg parts that are just as accurate as the metal parts so he's lighter and easier to transport. The legs are the heaviest part and make it REAL tough to transport him places.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, if you search for me under the same username over there too, I used to sell completed kits as well. They are VERY time consuming as well ya, you know seeing them now and eventually just wasn't worth it doing the kits anymore for the price I was selling them at.

I didn't find them that hard. they took a while yes, but i found the Fiber Optic ones almost impossible to do.

I'd rather pre do 10 of the older tee cee kits than one of the fiber optic ones :).

- - - Updated - - -

It looks like he's using the older style Teece joymonkey light kits. NeilT you talking about the joymonkey teece lights or his new version? All of them use LEDs and all of them generally require assembly. You can still gather the Teece light kits yourself and buy the PCB, either version isn't actually that hard, its just the teece version you have something like 100+ LEDs to solder (I used to sell completed kits) where as the newer joymonkey kit, you just need to use the fiberoptic cables. I help folks build them up and program them, if you need assistance on it just let me know.

yep, that was it ... fiber optics. wrong term :).

I found the older kit with the 100 LEDs easier than the fiber optics to do. I also don't find the fiber optics as reliable as they can slide out even if you measure them correct.

One would think there has to be a way to do that light setup far easier than 100 LEDs or fiber optics :)

4 months is nothing, i just got a part i have been waiting for for 2 years. i wasn't out the money for the 2 years but just had to wait 2 years before the parts runner ran the part again. i hear 3po parts is a living nightmare time wise. i want a complete left arm to paint red, but it looks like people are waiting close to a year and 1/2.

its at the point im willing to pay someone to print me a arm, but it takes so long to print i haven't found anyone interested

Matts gone the right route with this build. and doing a lot of the fabrication himself, with the way he's going he should be done in no time. like I've said before, if i were to do this R2 build again, i would follow Matts instructions. 100% aluminum r2's cost too much, weight too much, and take too long to collect

matt keep up the great work buddy, im rooting for ya!

4 months is nothing, i just got a part i have been waiting for for 2 years. i wasn't out the money for the 2 years but just had to wait 2 years before the parts runner ran the part again. i hear 3po parts is a living nightmare time wise. i want a complete left arm to paint red, but it looks like people are waiting close to a year and 1/2.

its at the point im willing to pay someone to print me a arm, but it takes so long to print i haven't found anyone interested

Matts gone the right route with this build. and doing a lot of the fabrication himself, with the way he's going he should be done in no time. like I've said before, if i were to do this R2 build again, i would follow Matts instructions. 100% aluminum r2's cost too much, weight too much, and take too long to collect

matt keep up the great work buddy, im rooting for ya!

Time: the commodity 2016 has shown us we do not get enough of :unsure

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back