ANH R2-D2 Build (Weathered CS:R spec)

Welcome to the club :).

Not sure which one mine most looks like. but i'm happy to say it's all metal ( don't go this route unless you want to be broke, but i found the material easiest to work with).
and it still works after a few years, which is rather amazing. mine is just basic though. he doesn't even have a light up HP.

This is his second head. as the first one used JB weld that leaked all over the place. the second one uses E6,000 and it's MUCH nicer to work with and just as strong.
It's also his second batch of frames. we took these frames to a car place to be painted. I forget what they did to it, but it came out GREAT compared to what I could do to the thing.

I went though one head rotator after the wires got ripped out somehow, as well.

It's an interesting journey, but it was fun and nothing beats getting r2 parts in the mail.
Now, if only i can find a manquin to fit threepio, i can finally get him done )

Oh, and if you go on astromech, do NOT get discouraged by some of the people who you meet there. they WANT you to succeed, but sometimes i've found can get kind of combative if you make a mistake, or choose to try something different than recommended. oh, and not fans of people messing up and needing to buy second part sets to cover for it ;o)....that was my second set of skins, but i'm glad i replaced them because they look that muc better :)
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=60f733c07efa0792ef2f0112f52c7013&oe=58901209

i have to agree with you on the 100% aluminum build. i've been collecting aluminum for 3 years now... and still missing a dozen or so parts

if i were to do this all over again i would go styrene with a hydro dome, and some how figure out a way to use steel foot shells so little kids won't damage r2's feet while being excited. seems like the foot shells take the most beating

i like the way Matty matt is going, if i were to do it all over again i would have gone a route like his

matty do you have all the pieces to put him physically together? what parts are you hunting?

i have started alittle text circle were if someone is looking for a part i write it down and when it goes live shoot them a text.

in this hobby there's some parts that don't have sign up lists and just status updates saying they are in stock and first come first served basis. which makes it tough for a lot of people

if i can ever be of service don't hesitate to ask! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have to agree with you on the 100% aluminum build. i've been collecting aluminum for 3 years now... and still missing a dozen or so parts

if i were to do this all over again i would go styrene with a hydro dome, and some how figure out a way to use steel foot shells so little kids won't damage r2's feet while being excited. seems like the foot shells take the most beating

i like the way Matty matt is going, if i were to do it all over again i would have gone a route like his

matty do you have all the pieces to put him physically together? what parts are you hunting?

i have started alittle text circle were if someone is looking for a part i write it down and when it goes live shoot them a text.

in this hobby there's some parts that don't have sign up lists and just status updates saying they are in stock and first come first served basis. which makes it tough for a lot of people

if i can ever be of service don't hesitate to ask! ;)

I've got a leg kit coming, so the only big thing I'm waiting on is aluminum skins. I'm waiting for Guy's to become available again. After that, it will be a lot of body stuff (vents, utility arms, data port). But I'll probably wait for resin CSR options to become available for those. I'm not in any hurry. Thanks for the offer. I'll keep it in mind!

Last edited:
I've got a leg kit coming, so the only big thing I'm waiting on is aluminum skins. I'm waiting for Guy's to become available again. After that, it will be a lot of body stuff (vents, utility arms, data port). But I'll probably wait for resin CSR options to become available for those. I'm not in any hurry. Thanks for the offer. I'll keep it in mind!

i have guys v1 skins. very nice product!

Mine is also built with different materials, the frame is wood, dome is all alum, skins are styrene, legs are wood, boosters are alum, feet are plastic. I started collecting alum parts to replace them eventually but just recently sold the lot because I am actually more fond of my original build to tear it apart and replace the parts.
IMG_1958.JPGIMG_0208.JPG

something i JUST learned which would save a ton of time. is when glueing the legs together you can use a sponge paint brush roller! greedo just used this on his chopper build, i would have never thought of doing it that way. works great!

im a carpenter by trade and i love titebond3, holds like iron!!

cant wait to see some more progress pics! keep up the great work! :thumbsup

something i JUST learned which would save a ton of time. is when glueing the legs together you can use a sponge paint brush roller! greedo just used this on his chopper build, i would have never thought of doing it that way. works great!

im a carpenter by trade and i love titebond3, holds like iron!!

cant wait to see some more progress pics! keep up the great work! :thumbsup

Thanks! The foam roller is a good tip. I usually use a brush to spread glue but maybe I'll try the roller this time.

I've been working on assembling the dome some more. The idea is to use hardware to attach the various parts instead of glue or silicon. Here I used mirror clips to hold the front logic display and they worked great.

I've also been weathering a little as I go. Mainly chipping the paint. He'll get dirtied up real good eventually. I've been hitting the dome with a hammer but it's not very noticeable. I'll have to take things up a notch.

IMG_2150_zpssolcg3tw.jpg

0210071119386779_9157296216566326086_o_zpsany56y2v.jpg

You have to be careful where you drill holes. Everything needs to be covered by the outer dome and the panels.

Some progress photos of the dome. These things are laser cut and amazing. The laser cutting process leaves sharp burrs on all the edges and it took me about two weeks to smooth it all out by hand.

IMG_2034_zpsfaujuvvy.jpg

I used a mini hacksaw to remove the panels.

IMG_2050_zps0tvvjvxf.jpg

Panels all cut out and ready to be cleaned up.

IMG_2051_zpsgmlkngzq.jpg

Lining up the inner and outer dome to drill the holes for the radar eye.

IMG_2066_zpsbaspggim.jpg

Everything lined up great. The panels on the inner dome can be removed if you want them to open with servos. I left them intact.

IMG_2067_zpsks597axf.jpg

Panels ready for paint.

IMG_4526_zpsoqpybru2.jpg

Three coats of purple.

IMG_4527_zpshbazhq2v.jpg

Three coats of blue and three coats of clear.

IMG_4533_zpsphexijkb.jpg

After the paint cures, I wet sand the clear coat and polish it all up.

I've been working on the holos for the past week or so. Got them all painted up and received three 1.5" acrylic cabochons in the mail today. They look really cool with the lenses in. I also got the servo mount fitted on the front holo. This is where you mount the micro servos that will make it twitch.

IMG_2171_zpslumtwuhb.jpg

IMG_2174_zpsfp1yfgjq.jpg

I also picked up a carriage bolt and washer to make the dome topper. I made the dome bumps out of carriage bolts and they worked great. I just have to reshape the bolt and contour the washer a little.

IMG_2175_zpsevyknc9l.jpg

really coming together. i like the color choices of the HPs!

It took me a while to decide on that. Before this project I had no idea how different Artoo was throughout the movie! A lot of decisions to make for sure.

Man this makes me want an R2 so bad, I've had to avoid the astromech forum to prevent temptation. Beautiful work, very very jealous.

I avoided that place for years for the same reason. Do not go there unless you're ready to build. I thought I'd just have a look around and an hour later I was ordering parts and planning things, lol.

IMG_2176_zpscxuatykz.jpg

IMG_2177_zpsgm7qundm.jpg

A small update, but I thought it was neat. I made a dome topper out of a carriage bolt. Turned it down in my fancy lathe (hand drill and file) and countersunk it into a washer. I also rounded the edge of the washer so everything would be flush with the top of the dome. I had to remove a lot of metal from the head of the bolt so this took a while. Probably pretty easy to do with the right equipment, but now I have a nice threaded topper.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back