My 3D Star Wars Props

mightyjebus

Thought I'd share some of the 3D printed props I've made. I'm not the owner of the designs (thanks to the original creators for giving them away for free especially the5thhorseman on whitearmor.net).

These have all been printed out on a budget Prusa i3 3D printer which cost me about 240 quid including import fee's from China. Most are made in PLA as I find that ABS warps a lot so I loose a lot of time reprinting in ABS.

Anyway on with the pictures........

finished2_zps7zxcslmg.jpg

both_zpsysmaed4f.jpg

3d%20star%20wars_zpsgoxh16b1.jpg

finished_zpsors3wubu.jpg

darth%20vader%20lightsaber_zpsqdzz5tqk.jpg

palpatines%20lightsaber_zpsmnoaf7fl.jpg

currently printed out and awaiting sanding, painting etc is Mace Windu's lightsaber and Poe's pistol from TFA. Next thing to be printed will be the F11D standard blaster followed by a TFA stormtrooper helmet.

I've got Poe's pistol printed out which needs finishing and I've printed out all the parts for Mace Windu's lightsaber but both of these might go on hold as I want to make the F-11D standard blaster to finish off the trio.

I've also downloaded the files for the TFA stormtrooper helmet so that's going to be made as well.

These look amazing! I've recently gotten into 3D printing and would love to see your finishing process if you're willing to share. Especially on the helmets. Is that classic storm trooper the one that's on Thingiverse?

The stormtrooper helmet was downloaded from thingiverse.

To finish the helmet to the same standard as mine you will need:
p38 body filler
filler primer
white primer
a rough file
80 grit sandpaper
1200 glass paper

I print the parts off and quite roughly file them and sand them with 80 grit paper to smooth the print lines. I then give it a coat of filler primer and once dry sand it again. I then apply a layer of p38 body filler.

Once this is dry I sand again with the 80 grit and spray with filler primer and once that has dry I look to see if the finish is acceptable. If the print lines are still visable or any marks are seen I'll add some more filler and sand again. Once the part looks ok I'll sand with 1200 glass paper and water to get a nice smooth finish. It's worth making the helmet in parts (for instance the 4 parts of the crown should be done as one piece)
I reinforce the inside joints with epoxy resin and mesh. The epoxy is from the poundshop and the mesh is from Halfords and costs £1.50 for a sheet which will do a couple of helmets.

Once all the sub assemblies are complete I put it all together and then use p38 on any parts that I'm not happy with.

I coat the whole thing in filler primer and use the 1200 paper and water to get a smooth finish. If I'm happy with it at this stage I'll give it a coat of white primer and once dry I'll give it a coat of gloss white. All the paints are from halfords and come in a spray can.

Once it's completely dry it's just a case of masking up and spraying the different coloured parts. I used a vinyl stencil from ebay for the blue lines and the lenses where made using 4mm dark green transparent acrylic I got from ebay. I shaped them with a heat gun and moulded them into the sockets. Use gloves when you do this and once they have slightly cooled and are holding the shape i run them under cold water to fix them to this shape.
The black lines where applied with a black sharpie pen.

Thanks for the WIP pics! I've currently got a minoprice select mini, so my build area is a little small, but I might give that trooper bucket a whirl.

it is the Anet A8 kit that I use. I've just added a TronXY printer as well which is the same standard.

oh and I know the feet are on the wrong way. I noticed just after I took the picturee and corrected my mistake.

Current project - hope to have it finished in a day or 2.
I downloaded the Shore trooper helmet from thingiverse (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2073634)

Printing was straight forward and the parts fit well together.

Parts fitted together and filling, filing and sanding almost done.

I tried to use XTC-3D to give a smooth finish but I had a nightmare and the epoxy didn't set right and ended up all bubbley. I had to hand scrap it all off and reprint the 2 lower checks and the face plate.

After a lot of extra work I'm getting close to finishing it off. below are the finished greeblies and forehead part.

and the main helmet almost ready for white primer.

Hey, I've got an Anet A8 as well, did you print all this with a stock anet or did you do any upgrades? I've been thinking about getting an e3d v6 bowden setup to print larger pieces faster, wondering what you're using.

Hey, I've got an Anet A8 as well, did you print all this with a stock anet or did you do any upgrades? I've been thinking about getting an e3d v6 bowden setup to print larger pieces faster, wondering what you're using.

Only upgrades have been to add a couple of 3D printed belt tighteners and spent a bit of time printing calibration cubes to get it working just right.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back