EVA foam Stormtrooper (OT) build - "Rebels! Blast 'em"

Ruglud

First time poster, long time lurker (although only recently signed up...)

I decided to dive in and build an EVA foam Stormtrooper (ANH style) after I found Kirk0's build from a few years back; http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=200623

So, using the pep files from JFCustoms; http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=148889 I went and purchased 6 pink yoga mats from Decathlon (£1.99 each), a couple tubes of Bostik contact adhesive, a fine point Sharpie and a new retractable knife. Dug out my heat gun (not a euphemism ;) ) and then set too...

So far, I've pretty much done the chest and back armour - next up will be the shoulder bells and then I'll strap these all up for a proper test fit
836907_sm-.jpg

836906_sm-.jpg

I also made a start on the bucket - although went the cardboard route, following the template and build guide from Dali Lomo: http://dali-lomo.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/star-wars-stormtrooper-helmet-diy.html
Version 1; unfortunately the template is not really sized for my noggin and I realised that I wont be able to easily rectify this, so... my son will get this one... for my bonce, I'll need to print a version 2 bucket at 5-10% larger...
833918_sm-.jpg

833919_sm-.jpg

833920_sm-.jpg

833921_sm-.jpg

Or.... I have a Black Series Stormtrooper helmet that arrived today - hopefully that will fit and I'll just use that - gotta wait for Xmas though as it's a present from my kids (even though I bought it...) :)

So that's it for today, might do a bit more work tonight and hopefully some more progress tomorrow.

Last edited:
Re: EVA foam Stormtrooper (OT) build - or, How not to do it...

Didn't get much done today, but did at least get the shoulder bells cut and glued, still need to put the middle seam on, but I need togo outand buy some thinner sheets of craft foam for that I think... I guess though, getting to this stage means a test fit is just round the corner :)

837114_sm-.jpg

Nice work :thumbsup, glad to see one of my builds has inspired someone to give it a go.
I enjoyed building this one, it was relatively quick and easy, only part I wasn't overly happy with was the helmet but I've bought a plastic 2 piece helmet since then.

Cheers mate, I have your thread saved in my favourites and found it to be a mine of useful info while I was researching how to do this... This is my first foray into pep / foam build and I'm sure I'll learn a lot from the mistakes I'll no doubt make along the way :)

This is a really good build to try for a first attempt at pep as jfs files for this are really simple. I'm actually Planning to do a couple of these again next year for the kids for halloween.
That helmet file looks almost identical to the one I used for my foam helmet.

Yeah, those files are just great,my hat's off to JF for doing the work and sharing them to the community... Makes it easier and less intimidating for newbies like me to make a start. I am also though kind of modifying bits as I go to make the build (hopefully) easier...

Funnily enough, my son now wants me to build him a suit as well after I do mine... Will have to a bit of re-scaling though, he's a small 12 yr old (although will be closer to 13 by the time I get to his suit no doubt...)

I made a few adjustments to make some parts a little easier. The only major adjustments I can remember having to make was to make parts fit a little better. I'm 6'3 and the thighs where to long even for me so I had to trim a little off the top. I also had to make the forearms and shins a little wider.

A bit delayed but progressing none the less (albeit slowly...)

moved on to the bicep armour and gauntlets. Gauntlets are a little tight to get on and I've had to split one of the seams, but I'll use a bit of velcro on this I think to make it usable without further modification. Have also made a start on the ab-plate, lower back, codpiece and buttplate armour pieces, need to do the ammo pack and belt. Still lots of detailing to be done though - have marked out the panels on each piece and will layer these on with a mix of the 6mm yoga mat foam and 2mm craft foam... Have also started the thigh armour - think the templates could be a little tight so will probably add some extra foam to expand them...

840302_sm-.jpg

Hopefully get some more done this weekend...

Update? Oh, go on then...

Thigh armour glued together (had to add in extra foam so I could fit my thighs in as the template was a bit snug) Made a start on the shin armour ( bottom left of pic)

841274_sm-.jpg

I also remembered I have the starting of a Blastech E-11. So dug that out from the garage and found the templates I printed a few years ago. Will move on that build once the armour is done :)

841275_sm-.jpg

Last edited:

Had a bit of a hiatus from any progress, but back to it now as am off for work for a few days...

Concentrating on the E11 blaster pipe build today;

created the muzzle, bolt, end cap, wooden handle and started on the magazine housing (made from 1mm styrene)

846543_sm-.jpg

EVA foam Stormtrooper (OT) build - plus E11 pvc pipe scratchbuild

Realised that I made a big mistake on the magazine housing in that I got all the angles mixed up... Currently in the process of remaking it from scratch... Pics to follow...

Subscribed! Been looking for a build like this forever

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Thanks for watching - it's sloooow progress, but progress none the less.... More done on the E-11 (with rebuilt magazine housing plus more;

Grip has now been epoxy glued on, with some pins drilled into the barrel and grip to help and keep it all nice and sturdy. The long bolt will be cut down and become the charging bolt 'cocking' handle (that's not me being rude, that's what it's called...)
848749_sm-.jpg

Close up of the grip and attached magazine housing. Grip has a working trigger using a simple technique of pin through the trigger to hinge and a spring from a pen to make it, err, spring back into position... Also have created the selector switch with 'safety', single shot and full auto
848750_sm-.jpg

Trigger release lock close-up
848751_sm-.jpg

Return spring is a length of solder that I twisted round a thinner tube to fit the barrel - it's a bit too thick though so may look for an alternative
848752_sm-.jpg

Close-up of front sight and barrel - need to add some hex nuts to the front
848753_sm-.jpg

Trigger guard made from 10mm wide, 2mm thick aluminium strip and bent to shape
848754_sm-.jpg

Scratchbuilt 'cut down' magazine
848755_sm-.jpg

848756_sm-.jpg

First time poster, long time lurker (although only recently signed up...)

I decided to dive in and build an EVA foam Stormtrooper (ANH style) after I found Kirk0's build from a few years back; http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=200623

So, using the pep files from JFCustoms; http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=148889 I went and purchased 6 pink yoga mats from Decathlon (£1.99 each), a couple tubes of Bostik contact adhesive, a fine point Sharpie and a new retractable knife. Dug out my heat gun (not a euphemism ;) ) and then set too...

Did you use all 6 mats?

I've used 4 of them so far, pretty sure i'll partially use the 5th. The wife wants the last one though, for her yoga/exercise - yeah, I know, weird use of an exercise mat right ?

No pics yet (I keep forgetting to take photos!!) Will though post an update with photos later this week or over the weekend - stay tuned... There's been finishing touches, such as Velcro, occur, not far now from getting the paint applied I reckon :) Have also got some black running gloves and been removing the glow in the dark logos, stripes, etc from them with nail varnish remover and cotton buds (Q-tips?) - very smelly...

Looking good Ruglud, actually thinking of giving this a try again myself using the black decathalon mats to make a Shadow Trooper.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back