Boba Fett Empire Strikes Back Build Thread

Re: Boba Fett (EMPIRE) Build Thread

The prep work before being able to lay down any kind of layers with an airbrush are so extensive and time consuming it can be frustrating at times. But I was finally able to lay down some Green/Blue/Grey for the dome. I really, really like this color! I always start lighter than what I want the finished product to be because it will naturally get darker with the extensive weathering. However, I'm having second thoughts about my mix. This almost happens every time. Pictures can be funny too because it's all about lighting and balance. Colors can play tricks on your eyes based on the colors surrounding that color. That's why I usually give my eyes a days rest after making a decision.

If you know anything about the ESB Boba Fett Hero Helmet you know that throughout the film it looks to have slightly different coloration, brightness and depth based on the lighting for the scene. A lot of people like to skew their suits a certain way based on a screen shot from the film or from a reference photo of the ESB helmet.

For this helmet my inspiration came from a TDH member named Ruibo95. Shout out to him he did an amazing paint up. He took a reference photo to an expert in digital imaging and had him color correct a reference photo of the actual screen used helmet. That color corrected image I will post below, I hope that's ok Rubio95! If not just let me know and I will take it down.

Color corrected reference photo provided by Rubio95.

IMG_1030a_zpsbt3invtz.jpg

And this is the mix I've come to which is a pretty light, minty turquoise color.

2e886382-ac3d-40e5-83f4-8e925fa60e98_zpssj9nelfv.jpg

7b2d58fb-ecd0-4896-8e2e-7421e4259c50_zpsljuv50ru.jpg

fc4ed724-414f-4656-b77e-8a0644e11a91_zpsnz3dkdgr.jpg

Anyways, I'm still on the fence about my mix but if I try and look past all the other colors in the reference photo and just focus on the green/blue/grey base color I feel like I'm pretty close just a bit lighter which again will darken after weather. This is all subjective anyways having to look at pictures on computer screens lol.

Last edited:

Color looks good! You're right, it's a little light but that will change with weathering. I like the approach you're taking. No one knows what the true colors are so you might as well experiment.

Alrighty!!! It's moving along! My deadline for this lid is December 14th and it's coming oh too quickly. I had a minor setback...I had planned to have the killstripes done this past weekend and the entire dome completed...but my eagerness got the best of me. I spend almost two hours prepping the masking tape and masking fluid for the killstripes. I even used a blowdryer between coats...but...YELLOW ACRYLIC PAINT IS THE WORST!!!! Lol. It somehow found it's way in between non existent and merely impossible crevices. This isn't the first time I've had problems with the killstripes too. So I ended up sanding the area down, started over and blended the section. Two days later it's as if it never happened. I am re-thinking my technique on these dang killstripes.

Anyways, I'm going to wait on the killstripe area to fully cure for a couple days and have finished up the rest of the dome grey damage and have moved on to the cheeks. I'm planning on hopefully getting the red on tonight. "I'm not afraid"...."oh....you will be....you will be." In my best Yoda voice ;)

thumbnail_FullSizeRender%201_zpsxlawnpej.jpg

thumbnail_FullSizeRender%202_zpsxxmubtrd.jpg

thumbnail_FullSizeRender%203_zpsolzw39at.jpg

thumbnail_FullSizeRender%206_zpsrvcwgwka.jpg

thumbnail_FullSizeRender%205_zpsktzz5ldr.jpg

thumbnail_FullSizeRender%204_zpslsupnh06.jpg

thumbnail_FullSizeRender%207_zpsrzmnfh6i.jpg

I decided I had better mask of the rest of the silver and airbrush on the maroon red before I do any more work to the upper and lower cheeks. Mainly because I didn't want to be putting tape a top freshly painted cheeks. So now that I have the maroon red on I will remove the masking fluid later today and finish up the lower cheeks and move on to the mandibles.

Maroon%20Red%201_zps1pnviwd4.jpg

Maroon%20Red%202_zpsidtyuirp.jpg

Maroon%20Red%203_zpscdymo1ma.jpg

Maroon%20Red%204_zpsffvyc4eq.jpg

Maroon%20Red%207_zpsdfv4hjb7.jpg

Maroon%20Red%206_zpsoyiuqrzo.jpg

Maroon%20Red%208_zpsikptykdu.jpg

Perfect! The kill stripes are tricky to get right. Don't get discouraged. You'll get it to work.

Perfect! The kill stripes are tricky to get right. Don't get discouraged. You'll get it to work.

Oh, It's discouraging Matt lol. I've done killstripes I think 4 times now, and every single time there is something I have to fix. I'm waiting for the day when I can buy a helmet kit that already comes with killstripes on it...nothing else...just killstripes. Then I can just mask around them and never touch them again! Can you hear the bitterness in my literature? :lol

Looks awesome. So that's your buddy's Fett on the first post?

No, that's me and my Fett so far. I have since made a few upgrades and as soon as I'm done painting the helmet I plan on posting my new inventory...Hopefully I'll have my EE-3 finished too :)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back