Project Lemondrop...Moebius Flying Sub 1/32 scale

I worked the pieces of the inner frame (structure) and assembled it. After finish priming and dressing, I painted it with Tamiya's Italian Red. When dry (overnight), I filed off any paint that was on the base tabs. After installing the frame, I started fitting the inner rear wall and the two forward walls. After securing them, I had to stop and make up the fire extinguishers, then mount them. Finally, I could put in the two reactor wall (the pictures below are of a test fit before the extinguishers are installed). The front console and the outer rear wall will be addressed later.
I must admit that the orange floor works well with the Aura-Foil's interior.
IMG_1945.JPGIMG_1943.JPGIMG_1942.JPGIMG_1946.JPG IMG_1957.JPGIMG_1958.JPG IMG_1952.JPGIMG_1953.JPGIMG_1955.JPG

Last edited:
A quick point... the interior set for the Aqua-foil had no ladder for the upper hatch. The concept seemed to have access through the rear door when docked at Pacifica or when landed on Mother Earth. There is no ladder and the notches were filled in.
IMG_1574.JPG

As things progressed, I had to get the stand details finished. I wasn't happy with the silver disk and blue ring that the stand came with. I had made a new one piece disc that was like the one in Lemondrop's stand. I thought of making a graphic from the movie based from what I could find on the web. However, the subject is somewhat limited and the computers at my disposal are the same. I was going to see a graphics guy I know to help out and then , I came up with an idea. I would ditch the 'City Beneath the Sea' logo under the stand disc (I would put that in a stand-up placard instead), and instead go with a variance of the VTTBOTS radar scope.
I decided that I would go back to the original disc and ring. Turning over both pieces, I painted the outer ring white and the center disc Krylon Banner Red. I then chucked the disc in my lathe and cut equally space rings into the face. To top it off, I then reset the cutting tool and (using the cross-slide of the lathe carriage) scored out the sweep arm. The silver on the back of the disc shows though the rings and I highlighted the sweep arm with Valspar Bright yellow. Once mounted in the outer collars, the whole thing complements the Auqa-foil nicely.
IMG_1606.JPG IMG_1935.JPG IMG_1936.JPG IMG_1937.JPG
IMG_1938.JPG IMG_1939.JPG IMG_1944.JPG IMG_1940.JPG
IMG_1941.JPG IMG_1963.JPG

And now some time for the figures. The ships crew consists of Commander Woodie Patterson (in Khaki) and Admiral Micheal Matthews (in White). The Crane and Nelson figures can be modified for these rolls. The first thing is to smooth out the flight jackets (mainly their lapels) to look more like the futuristic garb in the movie. This called for some micro-file work. Once the garments are smoothed out. Some more modifications were needed. The figure with one joystick had to have the 'V' between his lapels deepened. The guy with two joysticks has a more casual look and the lapel area needs some filling in, which some of the Bond-stick UV activated plastic worked nicely for that. I base painted the Admiral with Gloss White and the commander with Gloss Khaki. The pictures show early stages of detail painting... figures are not my forte'.
IMG_1573.JPG IMG_1896.JPG IMG_1895.JPG IMG_1959.JPG IMG_1960.JPG

Love the new handle you gave me mrchester: joubert (love it, sounds French instead of Joberg:D) Yes, as precise as you are with the detailing of that sub (lighting, painting, etc) the figures/pilots should be as well tended as the rest. I know that figures might be daunting for some (especially the eyes) you should take care of them as you take care of the rest: it'll be the cherry on the cake;)

Greetings folks, a lot has happened since my last post. My hobby store of thirty years closed, celebrated another anniversary with my wife Monique (31 years), Damned Hurricane Irene, and another Modelpalooza show. Now back to the Aqua-foil. I decided to mold and cast spare front windows. The plan was to remove the clear portion and leave the frames. I did this with Lemondrop but I overlooked one thing on that... I didn’t remove the locator tabs then. I did this time. After making the molds, I used Alumi-lite to make several copies of both panels (since I will probably be building a third Flying Sub in the near future...Will have this step taken care of). The pieces that I would use were prepped and fitted into their holes. I would paint them and install them at the beginning of final assembly. Clear window panels will be installed at the end of the project.
38C07EC6-586C-42C7-837E-09F10ACE2A71.jpeg A1DA410C-D0D6-433F-90CA-EEDA09E3C9A5.jpeg C6BF9475-7D3C-4DED-8EF9-7C9385CE42E8.jpegC7721699-9B6F-4E35-A94E-989395A4983D.jpeg

The kit has an enclosed walkway that leads from yield flight deck to the rear access hatch. It is a four piece construct that consists of two halves that make up the tube and two hand rails that are mounted inside. I painted the inside Aluminum silver and detailed the textured walkway in Flat black. The hand rails are Banner red. there is a single light for the inside of the passage.
View attachment 681531

The kit has an enclosed walkway that leads from yield flight deck to the rear access hatch. It is a four piece construct that consists of two halves that make up the tube and two hand rails that are mounted inside. I painted the inside Aluminum silver and detailed the textured walkway in Flat black. The hand rails are Banner red. there is a single light for the inside of the passage.
View attachment 681531
I love what you did with the tunnel, can you tell me how you painted the floor? I tried masking but couldn't get my fingers in there, then I tried posca markers but it looked like crap.

Thanks.

Yes, I realize this post is old, still an awesome model and people are still making it. Cheers.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back