Any one good with circuits and electronics?

Drac,

<snip>
''it seems I can just hook the LEDs straight to the speaker''
<snap>

Since early on, you chose to go with the EL light source, what LEDs are you wanting to connect to the MP3 player speaker output?

The MP3 player output to the speaker is indeed a fluctuating voltage/current from the on board amp designed to drive a 4-8 ohm load
coil in the speaker at 10W.
Adding any number of LEDs straight to the output will effect it's function and sound quality by putting a different output load on the amp.
Not to say it can't be done.
However, the LEDs would require a specific series resister in line so as to not overload them and possibly driver transisters to further
isolate them from the amp output and lesson the load on it.
Also, the volume set by the amp will effect the speaker loudness AND the LED brightness at the same time.
Even with all the precautions, it still would be a bit risky.
Having a separate amp/speaker and light setup would be the best and not effect each other.

Ah so not the best idea then, I am happy to go with the EL light source but I can't figure a way to connect the sound side to the light side using the parts I found, as I say I know nothing of electronics.

ill possibly get the EL and the following:

https://www.quasarelectronics.co.uk/Item/cebek-tr-21-mp3-player-module-for-micro-sd-card-5w-rms

and conmect a speaker and a sensor see what happens

Drac,

I think for now, you could get the Sound activated EL driver and EL panel and see how they work together.
The sound input to the driver would be through the internal microphone, amplified and sent out to the panel.
It of course would pick up any sound in the room, so by placing the MP3 player speaker near the microphone,
it would cause the EL panel to pulse to the sound.
At least this will get you started and completing the initial build to see how it all works together :^)

Drac,

I think for now, you could get the Sound activated EL driver and EL panel and see how they work together.
The sound input to the driver would be through the internal microphone, amplified and sent out to the panel.
It of course would pick up any sound in the room, so be placing the MP3 player speaker near the microphone,
this will cause the EL panel to pulse to the sound.
At least this will get you started and completing the initial build to see how it all works together :^)

yeah I think it will be the best way forward for now, and I'll see what I can change at a later date if needs be, thanks for your help with this, it's turned out to be a nightmare lol

As another thought and to really complicate things:

If you do decide to go with LED's as the light source, you could find a small 5'' or so, battery operated tap light cluster and
tie that into the speaker output signal. But......, you would have to do a little detective work and component soldering on a perf board.

Since the amplifier feeds a fluctuating signal to the speaker coil and one leg of the speaker coil is probably referenced to the power
supply ground and the other leg of the speaker is most likely the amplified, fluctuating signal from the MP3 sound file it could theoretically
power a white LED tap light power supply. It would be low voltage DC.

If you where to use your single added battery supply which drives the whole circuit, you could connect the positive side
of the tap light cluster to the positive battery terminal of your added battery supply and then connect a 'three legged NPN power transistors'
(Emitter - Base - Collector) Emitter leg to the ground side of your battery and the Collector leg of the NPN would go to the negative side
of the tap light cluster. You could then connect the Base leg of the NPN in series to an isolation capacitor, 1k resistor and 100k potentiometer.

(The potentiometer would be to tweek the signal down at the Base of the transistor so as to not OVER DRIVE the LED cluster).

So as the signal from the amp/speaker fluctuates through the NPN power transistors Base leg it acts like a proportional switch and drives
the LED Cluster directly causing it to pulse with the sound.

Just thinking out loud :^)

propmaster2000

Here is a sample video of what I explained above:

Last edited by a moderator:
<snip>
''Wow you just said a lot of words I don't know lol''
<snap>

Sorry about that.
I didn't want to leave any stone un-turned :^)

Can't wait to see the results.

propmaster2000

Last edited:
Looks good, to be honest I'll try anything at this point lol

So i kinda went over with what you need..So let me see,you want,for example to have a sound board and LEDs conected to an motion sensor and when someone walks by light and music will come one,for example a ghost to scare people?

So i kinda went over with what you need..So let me see,you want,for example to have a sound board and LEDs conected to an motion sensor and when someone walks by light and music will come one,for example a ghost to scare people?

Well basically I have a few voice files that when activated (by a sensor) will play and at the same time a light source will flash in time with the voice. Each time activated it will play a different voice file. Kind of like a Dalek but instead of speaking into a microphone it will be a sound file instead. Make sense? Lol

Well basically I have a few voice files that when activated (by a sensor) will play and at the same time a light source will flash in time with the voice. Each time activated it will play a different voice file. Kind of like a Dalek but instead of speaking into a microphone it will be a sound file instead. Make sense? Lol
but you want the sensor to be activated by motion,or with a switch? and the LEDs you want them like a strobe light?

but you want the sensor to be activated by motion,or with a switch? and the LEDs you want them like a strobe light?

Would be activated by motion waving your hand over it. The light source would be flashing as you speak like when lights flash to a beat.

Would be activated by motion waving your hand over it. The light source would be flashing as you speak like when lights flash to a beat.

ok,I think I have an idea//By when do you need it,also what color of leds are you looking to use..any idea of the lumens (super bright or not too bright).I think I can help you out,maybe with a way for you easy to understand to make.

- - - Updated - - -

A proximity sensor,,when someone is close to it, it will activate sounds and leds,every time it turns on,a different sound will come out,right?

ok,I think I have an idea//By when do you need it,also what color of leds are you looking to use..any idea of the lumens (super bright or not too bright).I think I can help you out,maybe with a way for you easy to understand to make.

Theres no major rush on it as of yet, they would be white leds not super bright or anything, the original prop had a small regular bulb in it so it had that typical old yellowish white to it before these bright energy saving bulbs came out.

https://youtu.be/1OFyyB5bBPk

about 40 seconds into that vid you will see the effect I mean when he speaks you see the top dome lights flash in time with the speech that's basically the effect I need.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

A proximity sensor,,when someone is close to it, it will activate sounds and leds,every time it turns on,a different sound will come out,right?

Pretty much yeah :)

Theres no major rush on it as of yet, they would be white leds not super bright or anything, the original prop had a small regular bulb in it so it had that typical old yellowish white to it before these bright energy saving bulbs came out.

https://youtu.be/1OFyyB5bBPk

about 40 seconds into that vid you will see the effect I mean when he speaks you see the top dome lights flash in time with the speech that's basically the effect I need.
And you want the audio to be sync with the lights ,right?..
I will try to do something with what I have see what I can come up with..Can you send me one audio file,mp3 or wav..
maybe tomorrow or the day after ,if i cant and i give up i will let you know!

And you want the audio to be sync with the lights ,right?..
I will try to do something with what I have see what I can come up with..Can you send me one audio file,mp3 or wav..
maybe tomorrow or the day after ,if i cant and i give up i will let you know!

sounds great, any help is appreciated. Unfortunately I have no way of sending the files at the moment, I have no access to a computer as my laptop decided to give up on me, the files are on USB :-( I've been having to make do with my iPhone and iPad until I get a new laptop :-/

- - - Updated - - -

I toyed with the idea of getting one of these:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=APTC7_nlMIw

as that's exactly what I need, taking it apart etc but I have no way of changing the audio files lol

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back