Custom Mandalorian costume for my son.

animator

Sr Member
My 10 year old boy wanted a Boba Fett costume, but I suggested a custom Mandalorian might be more fun. So we worked together to design the helmet, trying to mix Mandalorian style with some Vader technology and a hint of Stormtrooper. We made the visor area really large so he would have great visibility when wearing the helmet. I have been slowly learning the skills needed to do the actual work. I am now realizing it will take me another year to fully finish his costume. Here is my shameful progress so far...

This was my first time trying any of these materials. The fantastically talented folks on this forum make it look easy... I did not find it easy! Not at all. I started by buying Monster clay and doing my rather amateurish sculpt. I then molded it with Rebound 25 and a Plasti -Paste II mother mold. Smooth-On was great, answering the many questions I phoned in.
JackCaliper_web.png
SiliconeMask_web.png
SculptAndMold_web.png

I then roto cast the helmet with 65D.

HelmetCast3_4_web.png

I made the chest armor with Worbla black. Many thanks to the scalable templates I found on the Mandalorian Mercs site!

Armor_primed_web.png

I'm having fun and learning a lot, but both inspired and saddened by the amazing projects I see posted on this site.

I love the helmet design! It looks very versatile too - depending on how it's painted it could also work as a specialized Clone Trooper or custom R1 Death Trooper. Given the silver armor are you going more for a Jango Fett / Death Watch era look overall?

Looking good so far, actually historische kit loods great. Much better than the kits I'm making for my kids. But I'm just making the neckplate, torso plates and shoulder plates using EVA foam. Once I'm sure they really want a mando kit like their dad I'll go for a harder material, the oldest is 4 years old. I use EVA to keep it play safe.

-R-

Jack picked blue, gunmetal and black for colors. I painted the armor with the helmet design to try and tie everything together.

BooMandalorian01_web.png

BooMandalorian02_web.png

I'm adding a few lights for Halloween, then over the next year I will finish off the rest of his costume and add electronics. I'm going to cast some more helmets and paint different versions for the rest of my boys as well.

Here are my boys with some 501st members at the Atlanta Zoo today. My middle boy has a Hasbro Black Edition Stormtrooper helmet which is AWESOME! (Isn't he a little short for a Stormtrooper?) I made the Minecraft Diamond armor with EVA foam.

StarWarsGang01_web.png

BooBoys01_web.png

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back