Jakku Star Destroyer diorama (Bandai) - build thread

luke182w

So I;ve just started my Jakku Star Destroyer diorama. My first model build/paint in 20 years and first ever diorama...go easy on me!

First of all, the kits arrived. I ordered three; one for this diorama, one to keep intact and one to possibly light up (but I;ll see how this build goes first...).

Image-1.jpeg
Image-2.jpeg

The kit itself is VERY well made. I'd read good things but it's better than I expected. Amazing quality for something so small. Everything fits together perfectly. I've made one kit already, just to see what it looked like as normal. Glued the front slightly as there was a tiny gap. Then I used Tamiya fine surface primer - grey. Looks pretty sweet.

Here is the 2nd SD and a couple of pictures the battle damage. I'm going to do a little it more and then prime it. I'm using my iPad with a picture of the scene from Jakku to get it as close as possible as what's on screen, but I'm not aiming for it to be perfect. More pics up soon once I've finished wrecking it and primed it.

This is great fun!

Image-3.jpeg
Image-4.jpeg
Image-5.jpeg

(really sorry the pics are the wrong way round, for the life of me I can't get them the right way..but you get the idea...I'll figure it out for the next update)

A little more work to the battle damage, a little weathering with some black panel line wash, shaved pastels and a brush. I think I'm heading in the right direction at least. IMG_6770.JPGIMG_6773.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6774.JPG
    IMG_6774.JPG
    842.7 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
Just testing some methods of creating the sand dunes. I'm planning on using polyfilla. I'll make marks in the surface and then blow hard on it to soften the edges up and create a small sweeping effect. After I'll sand down if required and then coat it with some shaved pastels. That's the plan anyway...

IMG_6801.JPGIMG_6802.JPG

I've used an IKEA frame, reinforced it and sealed the edges with clay so the polyfilla won't sleep through. Made a couple of mounds as well just to help create some shape but nothing major.

IMG_6803.JPG

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back