New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit

On another note, I'm trying to get my head around how best to tackle the angle of the bridge. I'm thinking in general any trimming should tilt the assembly forward, hinging at the aft-most edge, rather than raising that rear edge, but I'd love to see anyone who has come up with a solution throw some pics up!

I don't have my own ZSD just yet - a week or two out, based on others' luck, but I did play with one of the images that was posted of the tower sprue.

Tower Angle Adjustment.jpg

While the aft most point of the tower is a logical spot to begin, I think that results in losing too much tower overall, and would be a harder edit. On the other hand, a rotation about the upper aft corner of the slot for the upper edge of the superstructure seems to be a bit better, in my opinion.

On the gripping hand, this does mean that the bottom aft corner will need a bit of plastic added, and whatever other adjustments as may be needed.

The numbers shown only reflect the relative difference between the two options - I just took the image and threw it into Rhino to play with.

Hope you get your SD soon WarpeD, on the other hand it's good to have insights on your build planning, which often flies out the window when one gets his hands on the styrene.
If you need some measurements please feel free to ask;
included a pic of the back face of the piece, which isn't flat, there's a small 2-3% angle decline at 6mm from the base.
OtaSD-14.jpgOtaSD-15.jpgOtaSD-16.jpg

Last edited:
It's not necessary to tip the whole tower, just the bridge structure.

I don't have my own ZSD just yet - a week or two out, based on others' luck, but I did play with one of the images that was posted of the tower sprue.

View attachment 706499

While the aft most point of the tower is a logical spot to begin, I think that results in losing too much tower overall, and would be a harder edit. On the other hand, a rotation about the upper aft corner of the slot for the upper edge of the superstructure seems to be a bit better, in my opinion.

On the gripping hand, this does mean that the bottom aft corner will need a bit of plastic added, and whatever other adjustments as may be needed.

The numbers shown only reflect the relative difference between the two options - I just took the image and threw it into Rhino to play with.

View attachment 706499

Once you get yours in hand, you may find that complicating the geometry puzzle is the fact that, as far as I can tell from dry fitting the pieces, the tower doesn't actually sit on the upper hull, but on a teeeeeeeny-tiny angled ridge that runs fore-aft from the back of the cake layers. My reasoning for tackling it from the back edge is that I THINK you can tilt the whole thing forward, making the bottom of the tower assembly parallel to the hull, without cutting into those rectangular details at the bottom-back edge, and just dropping the forward end closer to the wedding cake. I think the space between the bridge module and the wedding cake is a little too large now, so....perfect?

It may be that it's necessary to remove a bit of material from the bottom of the tower as well. The key will be to alter the interface angle with the superstructure while correcting the overall height at the same time. So it won't be just a matter of analyzing the pieces - I'll have to do some serious review of images of the studio miniatures.

I'm about to order the ZSD from a seller called Bentley stanislav who sends the kit with no box, if any of you guys ordered from him did your kit arrive undamaged?

I'm about to order the ZSD from a seller called Bentley stanislav who sends the kit with no box, if any of you guys ordered from him did your kit arrive undamaged?

I ordered mine from Bentley back in December. It took about three weeks to arrive.My kit was shipped in the standard Russian pillow case. The box was beat up but the parts were perfectly intact. You have a 50/50 chance of your box arriving in good shape but the parts should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still waiting on my Stanislav to arrive.

Paid back in the first part of December, showed "accepted" on 12/19, and last report was it was in Moscow on 12/29. No sign of it anywhere on tracking since.

He stated that it will arrive eventually and that mine is one of 12 he shipped then, apparently all but mine and one or 2 others are "lost" in the system but "did go to a foreign carrier". He did say that the Moscow Post was "investigating" but I rank that as solving my problem of no kit in hand up there as even less likely that the US Postal Service doing much of anything on one of their packages, which is close to zero. I give my odds at this point at far less than zero any "investigation" will reveal anything, other than "We lost it? Maybe?".

Not sure it ever will get to me at this point.

And way way past any recourse for refund at this point, so . . . I'm out the $$$.

Just wanted to drop this here in the Zvezda thread. A new set of shield generators from Tony, aka 308bits, on Shapeways. You will need to modify your bridge to fits these as they are screen accurate. They will not fit the hexagon base of the Zvezda kit.

Those shield gens from 308bits are sure pretty, but the supports don't seem slanted so you'll have dig a circular trench in the bridge's roof through the octagonal bases which will not be easy or replace some roof sections entirely .
On my build the inner supports aren't as nice, but vary from 8mm on the outer edges to about 6.5mm on the inner side. ... sOoo many rejects .
OtaSD-20.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe Tony or someone could design a slanted "cup" with a flange that the generator would sit in? The modeler would just need to cut a hole, drop the cup in and then drop in the generator into it.

Pardon my crude drawing skills.

2w7rgnb.jpg

I don't know if anyone bought one back in December and is still waiting like me, but mine finally arrived in the states. It was sent from Russia on the 19th of December and has just shown up at my local post office this morning. I had given up so I bought another one that was sent from Russia on the 5th of February. That one just arrived in New York and will be here in the next few days. Anyone want to buy a Star Destroyer?:lol:facepalm As much as I'd like a fleet, I don't think I have the room for more than one! Anyway, hope anyone waiting still also gets good news!

- - - Updated - - -

Read my above post. I think you'll be happy!

Still waiting on my Stanislav to arrive.

Paid back in the first part of December, showed "accepted" on 12/19, and last report was it was in Moscow on 12/29. No sign of it anywhere on tracking since.

He stated that it will arrive eventually and that mine is one of 12 he shipped then, apparently all but mine and one or 2 others are "lost" in the system but "did go to a foreign carrier". He did say that the Moscow Post was "investigating" but I rank that as solving my problem of no kit in hand up there as even less likely that the US Postal Service doing much of anything on one of their packages, which is close to zero. I give my odds at this point at far less than zero any "investigation" will reveal anything, other than "We lost it? Maybe?".

Not sure it ever will get to me at this point.

And way way past any recourse for refund at this point, so . . . I'm out the $$$.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back