Texas Chainsaw Massacre (03) WIP Halloween sculpture!

Mr Mold Maker

Master Member
Hey folks. Been kind of on a Texas Chainsaw Massacre kick these last few days, so I decided to whip up a quick Halloween mask... I chose the 03 Leatherface, and am using WED clay. First time in a pretty long time actually! This isn't really meant to be a tutorial, I'd consider it more of a build log... I will be showing you day by day (mostly) progress as I work hopefully right up until we've got a finished pull.

This by no means will be a perfect replica, I'm referencing the movie mask here and there, but for the most part I'm just choosing to "wing it!" If this is not your style, you've been warned!

Here is how the sculpture started: (Day one) It is WED clay with a small foam armature. Small enough that I can make a simple one piece mold off the sculpture. So everyone has a different sculpture style, I like to call mine "awful," but here is what I've got after three or so hours pushing clay.
IMG_6788.JPG

Day two was a little bit more fun, I began refining forms a little and carving away a little more here and there. At this point I was referencing what I believe to be a Urethane master from the movie mold, but as I sculpted I was finding small innacuracies here and there between the two. My sculpture is definitely favoring this master over the movie sculpture. This was about 2 and a half more hours into the sculpture.
05550AB6-8423-454E-B727-A58ADE6A9B91.jpg

Day three was tonight, or I guess "this morning" because I am on a total night schedule lately.. I want this thing to look NASTY once it's finished, so I've really kicked the wrinkles up to 11. They are, at this point, rather crude and carved in, but tomorrow I will begin softening them a bit more. I am still changing and refining forms here and there, which you typically want to have 100% done before the detailing takes place, but we are just having fun here and seeing where it takes us. :) This added about 3 more hours or so to the sculpture. I am sculpting in little "bite size chunks" if you will, because it gives my eyes time to rest between sittings and pick up on stuff perhaps I'm missing. Sitting here typing this, I can already see many things needing changing on my next go.. it just keeps me on track and motivated.
5911148F-9AED-4462-88DB-F5A70F1AB7D8.jpg

Tomorrow will mostly be softening forms and addressing a few problem areas I want to touch up. I'll also be extending primary detailing onto the rest of the scalp, and perhaps working in some more texture. We'll see! I hope you enjoy looking as much as I've enjoyed sculpting, and I'll be back with updates, real soon!

The advancements in digital technology are seriously mind blowing. I took a photo of my sculpture and was able to digitally "sculpt" it on my iPhone to reflect changes I wanted to make so when I sit down later, I can make the proper adjustments.

I know it isn't really mind blowing or special to anyone else, but I thought it was damn cool! Technology for the win! Now to push the clay...

2A2682C7-5752-471C-8EE8-831B8F35FB65.jpg

If anyone has any other suggestions feel free! Input is always welcome. :)

looks a good sculpt, I've sculpted this before, its a hard one to get the look just right, your doing a great job

looks a good sculpt, I've sculpted this before, its a hard one to get the look just right, your doing a great job

Thank you Ian. I don't think I've seen yours, would love to see it sometime.

This one got wrapped up tonight and is currently under stone. I got it as close as I think I can, and am happy with it. :) Pictures soon.

Update! The mold turned out very well and I've got some Monster Makers RD-407 on order. Once it's in I'll update with the first pull.

Since I had nothing else to do while I was waiting, I banged out a fun paint job on this amazing sculpture I picked up a few months back from eBay. I still haven't decided exactly what I'm doing with the eyes and teeth, but I'll figure it out later. May be fun to do up a pull of the Leatherface in fun colors!
IMG_7184.JPG

Next post should hopefully be the finished Leatherface pull! See you guys soon. :)

619880B9-BF1C-4502-B0D0-12D63E8BCAE5.jpg

My latex got here today, UPS late as always. "Kung Fu" is drying as we speak. Did a quick Texas Chainsaw 3D mask "Jiu-Jitsu" and just got it molded. I should actually be scrubbing right now, not typing. :lol There is very little reference on this guy and that's why I think it's left relatively unreplicated. There are a few replicas here and there but I don't believe one of this exact mask. I got as close as I could with what little reference I had and I'm pretty happy with it. Once I clean out the mold I'll probably cast myself a silicone copy.

Working up "Karate" right now... at this rate, I guess I should just do ALL of the masks, haha.

Hopefully we'll have a good pull of Kung Fu and I can start paint tomorrow. See you guys then!

IMG_7799.JPG

Here is the first pull with a very quick paint up. I'll be honest with you guys and say this isn't the paint job I wanted..
I'm thinking for the next one I'll switch up a couple things up and get a better finish.. closer to the movie mask.

I'll still stitch this one up and hair it as time permits, so when that comes around I'll be back!

Here is a little bonus shot of 3D raw silicone casting. Will be fun to paint when I get a chance! Pulling a latex copy of it now.
IMG_7834.JPG

Last edited:
So here is the Halloween lineup! TCMII mask from Jeff Death of Death Studios. Slight alterations to the paint by myself. 03 and 3D masks by myself for this years Halloween. Just got to glue down the hair and stitch up the 03. I'll definitely get around to painting one up more to my liking as time permits. They both fit very well, maybe I'll throw up some costume shots if I get any tonight!

I'll also be working on the final mask he wears in 3D, I expect that to be done soon. If anyone is interested feel free to contact me for details! I know this board isn't exactly huge on the horror stuff but figured I'd throw it out there. :)

IMG_8098.JPGIMG_8099.JPG

The advancements in digital technology are seriously mind blowing. I took a photo of my sculpture and was able to digitally "sculpt" it on my iPhone to reflect changes I wanted to make so when I sit down later, I can make the proper adjustments.

I know it isn't really mind blowing or special to anyone else, but I thought it was damn cool! Technology for the win! Now to push the clay...

Hey i'm working on my own mask currently and i was wondering how do you do your wrinkles on the skin?
I'm almost finished with my very first mask(made out of plasticine) and my mask is in no way perfect and i have a ton of things i'd like to change on it.(but since it's my first mask i want to get the wrinkles as best as i can and actually finish the whole process, since i've never completed a mask like this before.)
20170702_102811.jpg

I can't get the left side of the head to give this wrinkle effect
20170702_102822.jpg

Hey i'm working on my own mask currently and i was wondering how do you do your wrinkles on the skin?
I'm almost finished with my very first mask(made out of plasticine) and my mask is in no way perfect and i have a ton of things i'd like to change on it.(but since it's my first mask i want to get the wrinkles as best as i can and actually finish the whole process, since i've never completed a mask like this before.)

I can't get the left side of the head to give this wrinkle effect

So I am about a year late.. sorry about that! I don’t know how I missed your reply. I was just stopping by to post some new photos and saw it.
I sculpted this in water based clay, so the wrinkles were pretty much just carved in and rounded over with a brush and some alcohol. Looking back now, I wish I spent more time on them, letting the clay firm up a little and tooling them down, knocking off the belly, etc. When I sculpt in oil based clay, I will usually carve out my lines, and then use a wooden tool dragging gently across the wrinkle to knock the edge off. You can also fold up a plastic sandwich bag and carve wrinkles through that too. Hope this helps, but you’ve probably got it all figured out by now!

Last edited:
95FF0991-67E3-475D-8852-7618580934F4.jpegEA11DBA8-D9B7-49AF-B1A5-D680ED1CE277.jpeg7D34A57F-7CC4-4789-9980-70AC970D09BA.jpegE0ADAE82-609B-42FC-966E-D209DAF27909.jpeg

I can’t believe this thread is from 2016! It’s amazing how quickly time flies. It’s been a while since I’ve updated this thread, because I haven’t really done much with the sculptures. I happened to find a flawed casting I had set a side and decided today was a great day to paint it.
Rubber cement paint base, Tim Gore’s Bloodline on top. Photos look a little washed out on my monitor but they are perfect on the phone. Not sure how to find a happy medium there but I hope the colors come through.

I feel like I need to dig these molds out if I still have them, maybe give the Texas Chainsaw 3D Mask an updated paint job. What do you think? :)

I think the paint job is great. I like the dark colors. Did you use the rubber cement base as a tack layer? Do you find that your paint cracks at all after painting over it? I really like the colors you did. Great work as always

I think the paint job is great. I like the dark colors. Did you use the rubber cement base as a tack layer? Do you find that your paint cracks at all after painting over it? I really like the colors you did. Great work as always

Thanks!
Yes sir, I used a RCP base. Lightly tinted brown with oil paints to help see where I was applying it. Sealed with Flex Gloss or V-Gloss.. I forget what I have in that bottle. I’m using Best Test Paper Cement and it doesn’t stay tacky, but the Bloodline paints love to bite into it. Just checked it, no cracking when flexed or stretched.

I prefer this method to a PAX base by a long shot.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back