Do3D 3D Printed C-3PO Build

TKCC71

Well it's time that I move over from the Marvel to the Star Wars Costumes and Props forum (Just finished the Iron Man Mark 46) as I am getting ready to tackle 3D printing the Do3D C-3PO suit. Do3D is currently in the process of updating the C-3PO helmet so I will probably start with the chest.

I've learned quite a bit from my first project (Iron Man suit) so this one should be much quicker and more improved in the build process/techniques etc.. I will look forward to sharing this journey with everyone and those who have built there own C-3PO's here as well. I will be open to any suggestions/tips you might have.

0C88612B-F42A-4EE5-B584-C1B0D92203BD_zpsfsstywsr.jpg

(Here's the Iron Man)

37CA201F-0D2E-4202-8B8D-69BE8C94D8E1_zpserszpwqu.jpg

Nice job! Take it there where lots of tears ... I'm doing the do3d shoretrooper, theres more bondo add on parts and replacements than do3d. really nice work on the IM build though and good luck with 3po

Thanks Johnojodo.

So I decided to start printing with the chest first. Was wondering if any knows how most C-3PO builders attach his chest and back together? Magnets, screws? Would like to make this suit as close as possible to the new movie print and have been using this photo as a reference.

A81E9C38-42A5-4FA2-997B-BC6332F59CB0_zpsc9tnmhrx.jpg

0C7EAE76-EE5C-4515-8909-AD010A038AA2_zpsgadned1c.jpg

The chest and back pieces are bolted together near the bottom sides (you can see the knob of the bolt in pictures) and on the top of the neck piece. There were also rings that go around the arms that help keep them together. I have pictures of mine as I was getting suited up; let me know if you want me to share them. I think a few might help you.

Also I'm curious to know how your Do3d files came out. I picked up a few from them and have noticed they need a bit of work before printing (ie some bad surfacing and walls too thin).

The chest and back pieces are bolted together near the bottom sides (you can see the knob of the bolt in pictures) and on the top of the neck piece. There were also rings that go around the arms that help keep them together. I have pictures of mine as I was getting suited up; let me know if you want me to share them. I think a few might help you.

Also I'm curious to know how your Do3d files came out. I picked up a few from them and have noticed they need a bit of work before printing (ie some bad surfacing and walls too thin).

Thanks Oblagon. Would absolutely love to see them. I was just reading through your thread on your 3PO build and based on the comments/feedback, it sounds like you have an incredible 3PO. Unfortunately for some reason all the photos on your thread are gone? Any tips, close up shots you can provide as I build this would be greatly appreciated. I want to try and do this one as accurate as I can. :)

So far the Do3D files seem to be pretty good, I've only started printing the chest and have a long ways to go. I've have a pretty good working relationship with the Do3D team and they have always been pretty helpful in making changes when needed. I expect I will be working with them to update a few things on this build as I go along as well (details, wall thickness etc..).

Yeah, that thread was probably years ago. Not even sure if my account is still active on photobucket. Glad to hear you have a good relationship with Do3D; maybe I caught them at a bad time as I found their CS to be lacking to resolve the problems in their models.

The link below should take you to my C3PO folder. Feel free to use whatever you think will help.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j44r51qr2k38hzq/AADWnaxx4NCvX6hALs4bcwvZa?dl=0

Also I still have my CAD and detail drawings for all the pistons and metal greeblies that I had machined out for my suit. If you'd like a copy PM me your email and I'll send it your way.

Oblagon, Wow!!!!That is awesome!! Will definitely PM.

Just added the glazing putty on the chest to smooth out the print lines.

47BF9795-02AA-42B7-8925-3E18742C0A34_zpsgn3uzrnm.jpg

Also, Do3D just sent a draft of some of the details they have been working on for the helmet. The question is, should they encororate a male thread on these parts to screw into the helmet? Or should they be left as is and then later add the male thread and attach to them via epoxy or some other method?

B932A7B4-97C1-4868-9EC0-01834487335B_zps05baywki.jpg

8BFEC27C-F281-456C-84B0-5E63BD1A693B_zpshm2nb33l.jpg

Of the two CAD pictures only the bottom disk has a thread attached to it for the helmet. I'd wait until after it's printed and attach a metal thread to it; you can pick them up at Ace hardware. Then glue a nut inside the mask for the threaded part to attach to.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Progress is a little slow due to a family vacation and an issue with the printer extruder. The problem has been resolved and working much better now. So far much of the time is in the post finishing which is taking forever. Still have a long ways to go. Anyways the goal for now is to finish the front chest and right shoulder. The additional chest details will come later. Here's what I have so far.

20C78EF8-82A6-4990-A9D8-4C63CE0B9A05_zpsawvllnme.jpg

Nice work. Will be following.

So, obviously 3D printing Iron Man didn't put you off doing another 3D print suit?

Will 3PO be wearable or a static prop?

Thanks Sith Lord. This one will hopefully be wearable if I re-scaled it correctly. I'm 5'8" and I believe the files are for someone slightly over 6ft.

Looks like it's coming along nicely. Something that might help you out with filling the print lines; try Duplicolor Scratch and fill primer. I've had good luck with that on 3D prints in the past and it'll probably be easier than putting spot putty all over it.

Thanks oblagon,
I do use the DupliColor (awesome stuff!) pretty much did most of the iron man with it. I found the spot putty helps cut down the costs a little. It's a royal pain but it does end working itself out.

Still trying to get out the imperfections but it's coming along. Here's what I have so far.

Question, do you think those chest lines need to be rounded out a bit? They seem pretty sharp to me?

61DB60BD-CED3-48FB-AA58-001EC9D12B86_zpsby9lveb8.jpg

Last edited:
I think you're right. Seems to be very sharp edges. I think all edges/changes in height are a lot rounder and more subtle. Plenty of pics over on the C3PO builders club for reference.

Any more progress?

So, I'm in the process of buying a 3D printer. Is a project like this as achievable on a lower spec printer or do I need a top of the line printer to do it? Can I ask what printer you have, bed size?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back