Do3D 3D Printed C-3PO Build

Sorry guys, unfortunately very little progress at the moment as I have been traveling for work and working on building a larger 3D printer (Rostock Max V3) which will definitely speed up my process. However I might have to remake the chest piece again to better fit me. Also been in contact with Do3D to modify a few more pieces to be more like the suit in photo in post#5.

As far as printers go, Any printer will work since you will be doing lots of post finishing after its printed. I would recommend for these type of projects to try and find one with a good print volume. The Iron man suit I did above was all done with a $400-600 printer (RoboR1+). You can also find some good deals on refurbs out there on occasion as well. I currently have a Robo R1+ (10x9x8 inch print volume) and will soon will have the See me CNC Rostock Max V3 (11X14 inch) up and running once I get it put together. Hopefully by the end of this weekend.

Cool, thanks mate. Will keep checking back. Someone else has started Do3Ds Deathtrooper, so will be interesting to watch that one too.

I saw this thread start last year and it got me wanting my own C3PO, so I purchased the files from Do3D also. I think the price is fair for what you get. I wouldn't have spent any more than what they quoted though. I have been mostly satisfied with the models so far. My biggest issue has been with the lines on the chest as has already been pointed out in this thread. The pectorals and collar bone lines seem way to sharp to me. I asked the Do3D guys if they could change these lines to be smoother and sent some reference photos to show how much different they looked. They responded within about a day and said that different reference photos show the lines on the chest sharper and they referenced those photos. I guess that is fair, even if I disagree. For me, this was too different to ignore so I used Meshmixer to smooth the lines to my preference. While I was at it, I also increased the angle of the underside of the pec's so they look more "lifted" and I rounded out the pointed areas in the center where the collar bone meets the pec's.
C3PO Chest.jpg

Im looking o get some files from DO3D, but are they Worth it? Looking for some feedback :) thanks

That depends on what you want. If you are looking for something that is 100% accurate, Do3d is not going to be for you. If you want something "close enough" that you can print and finish all on your own, then Do3D may be for you. It is a lot of work to print and finish a whole suit though, but you will spend a lot less doing that than buying parts from TK409 or others. If budget is not an issue or you don't want to put as much labor into it, I would suggest buying parts from some of the reputable makers.

Ok, been almost a year due to the War Machine Build MArk III and now finally back on this build again full force. Just had a highly detailed full body laser scan of my body, so now I can match the files exact. Just finished printing the helmet and the arms.

Was wondering if anyone out there might have Blueprints they could share specifically for the Arm pistons? Was going to have those done at a local machine shop?

oh boy, I always wanted to be a C-3PO, but since I'm 6'7" there was really no way to make this happen... but when I saw this 3D-print thing, a hope is born... :)

I saw this thread start last year and it got me wanting my own C3PO, so I purchased the files from Do3D also. I think the price is fair for what you get. I wouldn't have spent any more than what they quoted though. I have been mostly satisfied with the models so far. My biggest issue has been with the lines on the chest as has already been pointed out in this thread. The pectorals and collar bone lines seem way to sharp to me. I asked the Do3D guys if they could change these lines to be smoother and sent some reference photos to show how much different they looked. They responded within about a day and said that different reference photos show the lines on the chest sharper and they referenced those photos. I guess that is fair, even if I disagree. For me, this was too different to ignore so I used Meshmixer to smooth the lines to my preference. While I was at it, I also increased the angle of the underside of the pec's so they look more "lifted" and I rounded out the pointed areas in the center where the collar bone meets the pec's.
View attachment 719997

I totally agree. Comparing some random screenshots to the 3d-files is offering quite huge amount of discrepancies if you suffer of detail-addiction the way I do since I made my own Darth-Vader-costume...
So when you write and even show that you modified the model/ file (no lock to the files prevents them from being modified, right?) there is a feeling of hope that I can make the files match more to my idea of screen-accuracy...

Hey guys, I couldnt agree more. I will definately be doing some modifications to the files to make them a bit more screen accurate. I have been slowly building up my Zbrush skills to make it so. I smoothed out the chest and started all over. In the meantime I have been working on sanding and smoothing out the helmet. Lots of work to do. Hopefully I will be chrome washing this in the next few days after the first clear coat.

Would love to share some photo's of the progress but having difficulties trying to load them directly in the RPF? (It always times out and nothing loads). In the past I used Photobucket but they changed their policy and want a fee, are there any photo hosting websites anyone here would recommend?

Second question, does anyone have tips for making the lenses in C-3PO's eyes? I tried using the dop pannel for florecent lighting but it always seems to crack when I try to dill a hole in it. I am half tempted to make a silicone mold of the drop pannel texture and then casting it in clear resin, but before I venture in that territory I would like to see if anyone might have some better ideas?

Backpart circle looks bad...i can look if i have a resin circle left and send, if can wait

OMG your right. I was just looking at some reference photos in the "C-3PO helmets: some observations thread", altough there are so many different versions, none of them come close to matching this. I wish I would of seen that eariler. I was just about ready to chrome it today.

I would be interested in one if you have laying around. Im really dreading the idea of cutting this out and patching it up. Almost half tempted to buy a helmet kit at this point and using this as a test for the chrome wash.

Well figured I need to make an update to this.

I had decided to take a different approach with the C-3PO Model. I ended up making my own files based on 3D scans of the actual suit from the Empire Strikes Back found on CGI Trader. I had taken the scans and modified them in Zbrush. (Do3D is currently working on a new Empire Strikes Back C-3PO model as well which will be sold seperate from the previous model due to the amount of work involved in remodeling) This time they will be making it much more accurate and cosplay friendly. I will probably use a few parts from them once the files are complete.

I have since made a throat valve that is available to the community on Thingiverse. I made the valve due to the scans missing the high detail in those areas.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2743149

Here is my progress to date. Still lots of sanding to go. Also I did a test Chrome wash of the helmet as well. 26551109_10215395234499123_339005897_n.jpg26543534_10215399066714926_1280574874_o.jpg26551278_10215399151277040_1787693706_n.jpg26235580_10215399150837029_1541305591_n.jpg26234470_10215399148996983_808141579_n.jpg

Know when the new Do3d Empire C3PO will be out? There is so much to fix on the current C3PO to get it accurate. Or are you going to be selling files back on your C3PO scans?

so I am super curious about this glazing putty. can you explain. I have been using Primer filler + sandable.

Also, I came here to find a file to print a c3p0. Not to wear but for my garrison to display at events. I might even Put a voice box and moving parts if I can find a decent file.

so I am super curious about this glazing putty. can you explain. I have been using Primer filler + sandable.

Also, I came here to find a file to print a c3p0. Not to wear but for my garrison to display at events. I might even Put a voice box and moving parts if I can find a decent file.

The best files are here:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2776877

And there have already been some more 3D printer friendly versions made from this.

Congrats on the progress so far! I hope it's not wrong to ask, but about how much were they asking for the STL file sets? Just a ballpark figure as they don't list prices on their site.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back