Westworld Costume Thread

does anyone have a line on the chemical resistant sleeves? I can't seem to find a company that makes red ones.
westworld-cleanup-tech-costume-e1478440804220.jpg

Long time no post...I'm here to revive not only my username but this thread!

I'm in the process of making both Hector and Dolores for my s/o and myself this year. I kicked off the process with what will inevitably be the hardest costume piece; Hector's hat!

I documented my process via my Youtube channel in a 3 part video. Part 1 is up, located here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5ZG-xeqtgM

Here's the completed veg tanned, hand sewn, tooled and fully lined hat:

hat4.jpghat5.jpghat6.jpghat7.jpghat8.jpghat3.jpghat2.jpghat1.jpg27657020_10100976012320975_5731257559673833309_n.jpghatstart2.jpghatstart.jpg

Part 2 of the video will be up next Friday and then the 3rd part the Friday after that! I already have my fabric for Dolores, and probably will be doing dye tests at some point next week. I'm waiting on my screen accurate coutil for the corset to arrive, as well as the screen accurate buckle, which I ordered a few weeks ago.

Hoping to start posting my progress over here again!

dyetest.jpg

Ran a dye test for Dolores today. I used 2 Rit dyes in Evening Blue and Denim Blue.

Evening is far too bright, where as Denim is far too purple. I mixed 2 parts of the Denim with 1 part of Evening and did a quick dye dip for 3. I left 4 in the same ration longer for a deeper hue.

Looks like #4 is the top contender! It's hard to capture the colors through photography, since they're all a smidge lighter in person and in natural lighting. I'm afraid #3, being a shade lighter than 4, might wash out in photos.

Here's the dye tests next to one of my main color reference photos. There's so many different screencaps and stills with about 20 different color grading changes. But this one is the one I'm going with.
test.jpg

Last edited:
Alright I may need to employ a little bit of background help here...

I have hunted the internet and local fabric stores (including one that has a pretty sizeable button collection), and I can not find a good match, even remotely close to Dolores' buttons.

I'm assuming they're painted/enamel or glass inlayed in antique gold metal, with a painted flower. I have searched through gilted buttons, enamel buttons, glass, hand painted. Nothing close or ones that seem similar that are far too big.

Anyone have any ideas?

button.jpg36f764a44cb9f67b4a1d9009f8baeb41.jpg

Well I've hand painted dye/paint with textile medium (because I didn't have the correct shade of yellow dye...), on about 5 yards of gimp trim!

The general consensus seems to be that it's ric rac, but with further investigations, it looks far closer, if not exact to upholstery gimp trim that was very popular on Victorian furniture and lamp shades. I had found a gimp trim from the UK that was near exact as a base to dye, but they wouldn't ship to the US :|. So the 2 threads of nylon, instead of 3 will have to do.

28471552_1627791383934929_1933280232945483776_n.jpg
28450244_10102745081636319_1938806968_n.jpg

A friend also found a pretty good vintage button via Ebay that I snagged. It's antiqued brass with a mother of pearl center. It looks pretty close, save for the scalloping on the outer edges and it might be a few mm's too small. But it's splitting hairs. I'm thinking of sculpting the outer scalloped edge directly on to the button.

Since there was only one, I'm going to mold it and cast it in clear resin with PearlX powder and rub n buff the outer edge to try to replicate it.

IMG_8015.JPGIMG_8017.JPG

I also received my order from Abbey England....and they're chrome plated from a website hiccup...-_-...They're shipping me the correct brass ones as soon as the foundry makes an extra.

nice work guys

- - - Updated - - -

This is amazing! probably the best costume from the series, keenly awaiting more updates and season 2!!

Long time no post...I'm here to revive not only my username but this thread!

I'm in the process of making both Hector and Dolores for my s/o and myself this year. I kicked off the process with what will inevitably be the hardest costume piece; Hector's hat!

I documented my process via my Youtube channel in a 3 part video. Part 1 is up, located here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5ZG-xeqtgM

Here's the completed veg tanned, hand sewn, tooled and fully lined hat:

View attachment 794500View attachment 794501View attachment 794502View attachment 794503View attachment 794504View attachment 794508View attachment 794507View attachment 794506View attachment 794505View attachment 794510View attachment 794509

Part 2 of the video will be up next Friday and then the 3rd part the Friday after that! I already have my fabric for Dolores, and probably will be doing dye tests at some point next week. I'm waiting on my screen accurate coutil for the corset to arrive, as well as the screen accurate buckle, which I ordered a few weeks ago.

Hoping to start posting my progress over here again!

Honestly I'd advise against the Abbey England buckle, for accuracy sakes. Obviously the link posted a few posts above is the correct buckle, and although the Abbey one is similar, their advertising is false.

The buckle you receive is different from the buckle pictured on the site. Notably the end points are far more prominent in the end result, and the notch detailing is absent. The buckle is also far more raised than the site picture, and beveled instead of laying flat.

I'm slightly ticked, since it took so long, you had to buy multiple and they screwed up my order and sent me chrome ones on the first go. Meh...at this point I'll use it until I can justify dropping $50 on one buckle...

MakeThumbImage.jpgIMG_8036.JPG

Dyed my Dolores fabric yesterday and am super happy with the results!
Here are a few shots in natural lighting, straight sunlight and darkened lighting, compared to different screencaps plus a shot of Evan Rachael Wood in front of the actual dress.
The fabric changes shades of denim blue with every lighting, which is exactly what I wanted!

fabric1.jpgfabric2.jpgfabric3.jpg

fabric1.jpg

fabric2.jpg

fabric3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Shift, corset and bum pad are complete! The last photo is just the fabric draped, to see how it looked. Now I need to transfer my mock up to paper and cut into my fabric. The under skirt is under the corset and bum pad for right now to show the construction of the pieces. Totally forgot to take a pic with the skirt properly over the pad.

IMG_8111.JPGIMG_8105.JPGIMG_8108.JPGIMG_8119.JPG

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back