prop chainsaw

grimreaper

hey everyone i apologize for my spelling and grammar. this started with a idea couple years ago about parts of chainsaws put together into one and i wanted smoke for exhaust and sound effects triggered by buttons but looks like someone in a barn build it. so i started gathering parts and fabricating . first i cut up the original handle and bent some bar stock to extend the handle and wrapped in camo material.
parts in bucket.jpg
i knew i wanted it light so i had to fab a side plate for muffler after i found a aluminum bar cover and made muffler mount out of styrene
side plate fab.jpgside plate fab 2.jpg
next was the bar, to keep it light i made it out of some display polystyrene. the story of the chain is i wanted it to look real so i knew i either had to mold a silicone flexible copy of a real chain and that would be a lot of work, or hand fabricate out of styrene a plastic chain but then it wouldn't be safe. So i was at a Halloween store getting ideas and i saw the 50 buck plastic fake chainsaw on the shelf busted up and a employee swooped in to grab it off the shelf and said "some kids broke this yesterday, i'll get it out of your way" thats when i saw the chain and offered to buy it,well she gave it to me for free and i ended up buying some fake blood. so when i designed the bar i made a track for the chain to slide into so it would epoxy all the way around.i made a bracket out of license plate to screw to chainsaw to mount 3 bolts to fasten the bar.
bar fab.jpgbar fab 2.jpg
so then i started gathering parts for the guts. i used a $10 amazon bluetooth speaker in which i soldered a remote play/pause button to be in the handle and soldered a on/off switch in between the battery and the board. i ran a usb cord out of the side to charge it when low. for the smoke machine i used some parts of ecig tank and a 3volt air pump hooked to a momentary switch and on/off switch so u can turn off power to both circuits and momentary to trigger it next to handle, both using a ecig 4v battery.
wiring.jpg
during final testing of circuits i had problems with the ecig smoke machine so i have left it out for the time being to diagnose the problem, hopefully i can get it working. after working on the wiring and problem solving for half a day i decided to assemble and weather it to make some progress
pre assembly.jpgpre weathering.jpgweathering.jpgweathering 3.jpg
so its not done yet, still a work in progress just wanted to get it up on the site. hope everyone likes it and hopefully i can narrow down problems with ecig smoke machine but it still sounds awesome with the loud speaker and i can run a playlist of chainsaw sounds from my phone and control it with the button next to the handle where the tape is. I wrapped the handle with some suede scraps to give it a raw look. oh btw i added some gore by soaking tissue in liquid latex to add near the bar and the body, still working on color for blood. all of the weathering is acrylic paint, rub-n-buff and spray paint misted on. its taking me this long to do it cause i love working with hand tools, only used a grinder and a dremel for the fabricating of side panels to fit otherwise it was hand files sand paper and patience lol. thanks for looking.

Last edited:
well i got the smoke machine to work turned out the voltage was off and had to use vegetable glycerin instead of fogging fluid and now works great . still doing some weathering and building battery pack to put inside. just wanted to get a video up and show what it looks like so far. almost done. btw this started off a mcculloch 110 and misc. parts of a couple poulan

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back