1/48 scale Gravity Falls Mystery Shack miniature model scratch build

Howlrunner

Sr Member
Two of the pupils at the school I teach at are huge Gravity Falls fans and got me interested in the show - I LOVE it now. Thought I'd have a go at changing scales (I usually work with 1:1 props) and try going miniature for a Mystery Shack build. I just started making it to a size that looked nice (not too big or too small), I'd say now that I'm further on with it that it's probably roughly O gauge scale (1/48th).

One thing to note, this is a kind of "best of" the shack - there's loads of reference images available, but being a cartoon, the shack doesn't always look the same! There are windows that disappear and reappear, windows that change height and shape from triangular to rectangular, chimneys that move from one roof to another, walls that change height and length, lamps that change from oil lanterns to electrical lights, a totem pole that is located in at least 3 different positions, signs that appear in one view, but are gone in another, shape and font changing signage, etc, etc, etc....

Anyways, basic construction, just 2mm sheet styrene, hobby knives, superglue and dremel with all measurements eyeballed and in a lot of cases, averaged out...

Where I stopped last night:
Za078KA.jpg

And today's progress (takes FOREVER to etch in all the brickwork, planks and "logs" with a hobby knife):

YHBRdd6.jpg

If anyone knows of any cheap sources for a 1/48th scale toilet or washing machine (which are dumped outside the back porch), please let me know. :)

Last edited:
Re: 1/48 scale Mystery Shack scratch build

Check out Plastruct's website for useful stuff:
https://plastruct.com/product-category/interior-architectural-parts/?filtering=1&filter_scale=465

For the clothes washer, recommend making it since it is basically a box... use thin plastic sheet to make a open ended box, add a bit of tubing with a matching hole in the top, then a bit off detailing on the back for the drain pipe and power cord. You can really go to town if it needs to be on its side and open. Looking forward to your efforts!

R/ Robert

updated-----------------
Here is a site that has printable scale accessories (aka paper models) in various scale, including 1/48:
http://www.printmini.com/printables/pq.html

Last edited:

Thanks. Yeah, I probably will have to scratch build most of the small accessories.

A bit more progress. Just a couple hundred more tiles to cut out and glue on....

ndDntzm.jpg

4HezFNI.jpg

Thanks for that. Will keep looking.... :)

Tiles FINALLY finished, now for some paint....

rQiE5wD.jpg

Jk8Ptzh.jpg

As you can see, I had to cheat the chimney and roof windows a bit. If you look at the angles they're drawn at in the show, there's literally NO WAY they could have those dimensions and still have vertical sides, as the angle they sit on is not actually the same angle as the roof!

YGLxLW9.png

qy1jP9z.png

So, of what are the shingles made? The dark color, is that its original color? Very effective shingling, btw. Tedious work, but always looks good.

Regards, Robert

The tiles were cut from some old plastic CD A-Z index cards (slightly thinner than the thickness of shop gift vouchers). This sort of thing:

6722.jpg

I grabbed a stack of them from my old retail job when they were getting thrown out and they've been sitting in my box-o-bits for years. The ones I have have a particularly nice very fine grain-like texture to them. And yes, the black is just the black plastic - these haven't been painted yet.

Pretty terrible lighting here at this time of night, so the picture is really not the greatest, but I've now got the house painted up (there ARE different shades washed and drybrushed on, but they don't show too well in this pic). Started adding some details too (Gift Shop porch cut from a baked bean tin).

t8gURMv.jpg

Me likey!!...;)something different that the usual prop building.....looks good, great work so far.

Still working on this one. Lots of details added, all hand cut (except for the MYSTERY SHACK letters above the door, which are from modified metal charm bracelet letters). Adding up to plenty of mess:

kXTs8rd.jpg

Still LOTS of details to add, but it's starting to look like what it's meant to now:

KG3IGbO.jpg

Am back at work now (this was my holiday project) so the amount of time I can spend on this has been cut WAY down. I'm still slowly working away on the details though.

xT3yqT6.jpg

DGjFMDA.jpg

Cheers guys. :thumbsup

And last bit of detail from today:

kerAOcg.jpg

3Xz5vPf.jpg

ctffG24.jpg

Thankfully I managed to find tiny pre-cut letters for the weather vane thanks to a nail decorating kit from my local Poundland, although there was no A, so I had to make one from a V and a TINY sliver of another letter. Had to hand cut the question mark though.

Work on this has slowed to a crawl, but I did get some stairs done!

1NODxaJ.jpg

Now I'm waiting on miniature fake grass now so that I can get the final couple of things done....

XP7Qyp3.jpg

1NODxaJ.jpg

XP7Qyp3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Been a while since my last update, but I FINALLY finished the last major component of my Mystery Shack - the back porch couch! I've been putting it off for ages as there were no miniatures the right size/look, so I knew I'd have to make one from scratch myself. Basic structure made from pieces styrene sheet, with additional Milliput detailing. Then sanding and painting.

BlYLcqN.jpg

w03fVPo.jpg

efEMZqC.jpg

Just some tiny details left now - couple of leaning planks, washing machine, tyres, roof moss, 2 log barriers, lantern, "Mystery" sign lights and the damn totem pole (I KNOW that the one in the show is based on a real totem pole, as I've found pics of the real thing online, but I can only find scale replicas on the wrong style - I need the bird sitting on a beaver, and the closest available ones or the bird sitting on a bear!).

One more piece for the Mystery Shack done today (painted it, I didn't make it!) - a vaguely accurate lantern for the porch. It actually changes from a lantern to a light from time to time (as you can see in the 2 pics of the couch above).

qcm8VTj.jpg

TxcPXKj.jpg

Absolute must-sub. I am subbing. So subbed. Maximum subbage.

Great work, Howlrunner! I am loving this! Can't wait to see more :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back