Studio Scale B-Wing Build Thread (and decal question)

Docmani

So, I've been working on this Nice-N B-Wing kit for the past few months. Its a good kit and I've been making slow but steady progress. I thought I might share how its come along and (at the end of the post) I have a decal source question.

Photo Jun 25, 11 07 15 PM.jpg

(Sorrry for the sideways pics, I'm not sure why they are being posted that way. If anyone knows how I can turn them 90 degrees, I would appreciate the help)

I love that this kit was engineered to allow for a hollow rectangular square tube for mounting and running the electronics.

There were a couple things I changed as I built the kit. Some of the recessed areas of the main wing were hard to clean out, so I decided to go ahead and cut everything out and backstop it with some styrene sheet.

Photo Jun 25, 9 26 54 PM.jpgPhoto Jun 25, 9 26 46 PM.jpg

Other than that (and the dozens of detail parts) the kit goes together quite well.

Photo Jul 31, 9 41 32 PM.jpgPhoto Jul 07, 4 26 27 PM.jpg
Photo Jul 06, 9 13 35 PM.jpgPhoto Jul 08, 10 02 07 PM.jpg

The other big change I made to the kit was the original kit had a fixed mount for the cockpit (it was not meant to spin)

Photo Jul 03, 12 26 41 PM.jpg

So, I sourced the original treads for the part above, cut the part up, 3D printed some mounting inserts...

Photo Jul 09, 1 38 55 PM.jpgPhoto Jul 09, 1 39 06 PM.jpg
Photo Jul 08, 4 10 00 PM.jpg

I also made a 3D printed insert for the cockpit mount that allowed it hold some axial bearings.

Photo Jul 09, 1 39 17 PM.jpgPhoto Jul 09, 1 39 35 PM.jpg
(The gap at the bottom allows for the wires to the cockpit light to rotate.

Photo Jul 08, 8 25 09 PM.jpg
The result allows for 180 degrees of smooth cockpit spin....

So in recent weeks, I've finally gotten some paint on this thing.

Photo Aug 26, 7 21 24 PM.jpg

Photo Oct 02, 3 04 05 PM.jpgPhoto Oct 02, 4 40 41 PM.jpgPhoto Oct 02, 4 40 47 PM.jpgPhoto Oct 02, 8 25 12 PM.jpgPhoto Oct 06, 6 33 10 PM.jpg

So this leads me to my current dilemma. I have this really nice decal sheet I got from Jason:

Photo Oct 09, 3 36 04 PM.jpg

It has all of the major decals found on the B-Wing, except these little triangles on the leading edge.

triangle_decals.jpg

So, I was wondering if anyone had any idea what kit those little triangles come from? They are small and trivial yet now that I see in the in the B-Wing reference pictures I can't get them out of my head.... :) There a little under 1/8" in size.

Anyhow, suggestions and comments are welcome.

Nice to see you posting again, and it's a shame I have to tilt the laptop sideways ;)

I am gonna crib from you on this one, as it looks really wonderful!

That's a great looking B. I did the F&M one and loved every minute of it.

With regards to the triangles, that is a new discovery for me! Now I'm with you on trying to discovery the source and going back to add it in!

Speaking of spin, any idea how the original studio model did it? With the armature mount being in the middle of the crew 'pod', a straight axial shaft between the front and rear wouldn't work. Jason, did you ever see underneath the cover plate?

R/ Robert

I did not, but I did spin it around when photographing, giving the archivist on hand a heart attack. She had no idea it was supposed to do that, lol!

I also begged her to let me push the mount cover back into place (it was too far forward) but that was met with a big solid "no" ;)

I did not, but I did spin it around when photographing, giving the archivist on hand a heart attack. She had no idea it was supposed to do that, lol!

I also begged her to let me push the mount cover back into place (it was too far forward) but that was met with a big solid "no" ;)

That was your mistake - asking permission. Just do it like you know what you're doing (which you did, after all) then ask forgiveness afterwards. Which is very easy when nothing bad happens! ;^P

R/ Robert

I count at least four of the triangles on the one wing alone (on surface with the actuator fairing which I think of as the 'top' of the s-foil wing.)

Oh, and two on the opposite s-foil, but again only on the side with the actuator fairing.

R/ Robert

Update----------------------------------------------------
Been looking for suitable dry transfer sources for the little triangles which show *no apparent decal film*. I found that Chartpak used to make a shapes sheet in black for tri's and squares, plus other shapes, but the one example I found imaged the lines were too narrow, However, as Chartpak is apparently defunct (at least for DT sheets) that doesn't mean this option is eliminated. Another option might be that they were drawn on using a template (of which Chartpak also made.) Looking closely at the marks, there is a slight irregularity at some corners, plus the inside of the corners seems to have a tiny radius not visible on the outer point. So the source may have been drafting tools!

Last edited:
That's actually a good call. The other decals are peeling all over the model with edges very visible while the triangles are very flat with no edges.

I found a set of dry transfers on eBay with many different sizes that might work. It's in Canada so shipping is crazy.

ffc9a707530562b7a62042d79f72c4d9.jpg

Meanwhile this just arrived. I'm going to give it a try making them on my own.

Your idea will be my backup. :)

Thanks for the research. You are definitely on the right track!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's actually a good call. The other decals are peeling all over the model with edges very visible while the triangles are very flat with no edges.

I found a set of dry transfers on eBay with many different sizes that might work. It's in Canada so shipping is crazy. <snipped image>
Meanwhile this just arrived. I'm going to give it a try making them on my own.
Your idea will be my backup. :)

Thanks for the research. You are definitely on the right track!

I also got looking for letters where the "A" might have been used by trimming off the 'legs'. One of the triangles has a segment that is narrower than the others, implying perhaps it was trimmed a little too 'high' up the letter. But most fonts have the A with too narrow an angle to produce a equilateral triangle in this manner. So, again, they may have just been 'inked' in using a template, which could also account for the slight irregularities in their form. Drafting pens (fine line markers) were certainly around during the period and may have been used for other things such as the black dash marks on the Falcon. Fast and easy with clean results...

Regards, Robert

I just bit the bullet and purchased that Letraset on EBay. I noticed the sheet itself was dated 1980 so there is a good chance they are the ones used.

I will send pics and I'd even be happy to cut some off and drop them in the mail to you for pointing me in the right direction!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back