Show off your lightsabers....there's a twist though.

DARTH SABER

Master Member
THE LIGHTSABER REFERENCE PHOTO REPLICA PROJECT -

I've noticed that for quite some time there have been less and less saber discussions (probably due to the discoveries of pretty much every lightsaber part) so rather than just posting a saber "showoff" thread, I thought it might be fun to add a creative twist .

Remember those old, blurry, crappy lightsaber reference photos that we all used to study over and over and over again, hoping to find clues or detail that would lead the next big discovery?
Well, I thought that it might be fun to try and recreate these old reference pics using our own lightsabers. (Rather than creating our accurate lightsabers using reference photos, we'll be creating accurate reference photos using our lightsabers).

If you guys have the time, and would like to participate, here are a few basic guidelines I came up with -

PROJECT - Replicating a known reference photo

1) Using a lightsaber from your collection reacreate a popular reference photo of the original lightsaber.

2) A Each individual poster can reacreate as many reference photos as they want...But don't post several versions of the same photo.
(Example - Joe Shmo recreates Luke's ANH saber using the "Toe pic". Once he posts his reacreation of that specific photo he must move on to another photo.

3) Photoshop -
YOU MAY use Photoshop (or other graphics programs) to help make your photo look like the original reference photo.

-YOU MAY use Photoshop to make your photo look old, out of focus, grainy, dark, light, torn etc.

-YOU MAY use Photoshop to mess around with background elements, or elements AROUND the saber...But not the saber itself.
(Example - if you want to reacreate a "screen cap" of a lightsaber hanging on Lukes belt then you can use a scene of Luke standing in the back ground and paste you saber on hios belt, etc.)

- YOU MAY NOT use Photoshop to alter the details of your lightsaber
(Example - adding an extra grip, removing grips, creating dents or scratches, fixing innacuracies, etc.)

4 Along with YOUR photo you must also post a comparison of the original reference photo.

Well, that's about it

This thread will probably die a quick death :lol, but it doesn't hurt to see if people are interested.

Hope to see some posts!

DS

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Show off your lightsabers!....there's a twist though!

I'm sure Serafino will win 1st place for the Obiwan saber!! :lol

FB

I guess Ill start off with Vaders ROTJ saber (reference pic from The Best of Lucasfilm Archives book)

DVROTJtwins.jpg

DS

Wow, Nice...
I'm game, I'll have to give this a little thought.

"Remember those old, blurry, crappy lightsaber reference photos that we all used to study over and over and over again, hoping to find clues or detail that would lead the next big discovery?
Well, I thought that it might be fun to try and recreate these old reference pics using our own lightsabers. (Rather than creating our accurate lightsabers using reference photos, we'll be creating accurate reference photos using our lightsabers)."

"-YOU MAY use Photoshop to make your photo look old, out of focus, grainy, dark, light, torn etc."

doesn't that defeat the purpose?...or i completely missing the point?...skott

I think the point is to replicate the old photo's from your own prop rather than replicate the prop from the old photo.
Sounds like good fun to me look forward to seeing some more entries

"Remember those old, blurry, crappy lightsaber reference photos that we all used to study over and over and over again, hoping to find clues or detail that would lead the next big discovery?
Well, I thought that it might be fun to try and recreate these old reference pics using our own lightsabers. (Rather than creating our accurate lightsabers using reference photos, we'll be creating accurate reference photos using our lightsabers)."

"-YOU MAY use Photoshop to make your photo look old, out of focus, grainy, dark, light, torn etc."

doesn't that defeat the purpose?...or i completely missing the point?...skott

YOU MAY NOT use Photoshop to alter the details of your lightsaber
(Example - adding an extra grip, removing grips, creating dents or scratches, fixing innacuracies, etc.)

DS

i guess i did miss the point then...i had read it as trying to recreate the old crappy pictures but less crappy...now i get that it is more of an art project than a reference project....very cool idea..i hope it works....skott

Dammit! I can't find the picture I wanted to submit. Its something I knocked together a few years ago. I seem to have lost the CD it was on. :wacko

So I'll do another one later time permitting...

Here's a fresh one I just did. Not exactly right, plus I could never get the lighting spot on. But you get the idea.

toepic2.jpg

Holy cr@p guys :eek

Your pics are MOST impressive. It's amazing how accurate your sabers are, not to mention the angles and lighting.

Well done:thumbsup

Cheers,

Kraig

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back