R2-D2 WIP - Studio 49

R2 has sat dormant for the past month and half as I've been focusing on Uni, but I had a chance to do some work on him with it being Easter break and I've finally completed the texture/finish for the aluminium Dome!

None of the panels are attached just yet as I still need to get funds together for the hinges however, slowly but surely he's getting there. And of all things to do the brushed Aluminium Effect with, it was a kitchen scourer that was the perfect choice!

14A_zpslpwyrdvb.jpg

14B_zpslsndhzw9.jpg

14C_zpscbodc6dz.jpg

14D_zps1qhh5awu.jpg

14E_zpsptbit87k.jpg

14F_zpsxcheulli.jpg

14A_zpslpwyrdvb.jpg

14B_zpslsndhzw9.jpg

14C_zpscbodc6dz.jpg

14D_zps1qhh5awu.jpg

14E_zpsptbit87k.jpg

14F_zpsxcheulli.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Small update but good progress, got the dome ring fitted today in preparation for getting my Frame cut soon. So now when I get my frame I'll be able to make sure fits and tolerances work as expected

I made sure to the position the dome plate like I did blow as it will allow me to have the greatest amount of flexibility with upgrade down line, For instance it would allow me to be able to a life form scanner, Lightsaber Launcher and periscope should I so desire :)

15A_zpsa4aicdi0.jpg

15B_zpstmlrzuhm.jpg

15C_zpsvo6pt6jl.jpg

15D_zpszp3zllna.jpg

15E_zpszw1mxrar.jpg

15A_zpsa4aicdi0.jpg

15B_zpstmlrzuhm.jpg

15C_zpsvo6pt6jl.jpg

15D_zpszp3zllna.jpg

15E_zpszw1mxrar.jpg

I see those have not gotten any cheaper since I last visited the boards. :(

Yep you're unfortunately correct on that one :(
The steep price is why I'm going for the bare hinges just so i can get them installed, then when I have money I can install servos later on

Well darn, another one of the threads I still need to fix thanks to photobucket :(

Hopefully I'll have it all fixed up by a few weeks time. In etc meantime I bought myself a present over the weekend ;)
This should prove enormously helpful in my build!

It's been a long while since my last update, mostly since I just haven't had the time to fix all the broken image threads (still working my way through my SLD threads...)

Anyway, I have managed to make some progress!

- I've placed my order for my set of dome hinges!

- Finished de-burring the all of the dome! (Still had a lot of slag left on the inner dome)

- Built myself a sweet travel box/cargo case for my R2 dome! Will post a video when I get a chance ;)

- I'm hoping to have my Aluminium frame and foot shells CNC cut in the not to distant future

- Will be placing my order for an Aluminium Radar eye hopefully next pay day

- I also was also able to do a decent mock up of R2 as a whole (with the parts I have thus far) and do a pretty good mock up of my R2 legs as well! (See pics below)

36645456022_dc9138c975_b.jpg

36007048673_21a32cb04d_b.jpg

36007047513_247a1fba72_b.jpg

36645457662_2b6f7d786c_b.jpg

36816236075_56f2920ef6_b.jpg

36645455622_aab90e3122_b.jpg

Did you ever get your hinges and get them installed? I just sold a chunk of stuff on Ebay to make room and considering getting the rest of my dome parts before the money goes somewhere else. :)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back