R2-D2 WIP - Studio 49

holy crap that was fast!!
I've even surprised myself actually!
These years of messing with 3D printed parts is starting to pay off!

How do you plan on making the dome look metal? Rattlecan?
I plan to donwhat some of the other R2 guys have done spray paint him silver followed by Rub and Buff to make it more realistic
This is going to be a some to just get me off the mark since down the line onece incan actually afford it I'll be upgrading to
an Aluminum dome :)

If you'd like some input: The radar eye sits way too high, it should be a lot closer to the lower panel with the red/blue PSI.

ANH
star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-93.jpg

ESB
star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-4078.jpg

ROTJ
star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-498.jpg

TPM
starwars1-movie-screencaps.com-3197.jpg

AOTC
starwars2-movie-screencaps.com-13612.jpg

ROTS
starwars3-movie-screencaps.com-395.jpg

TFA
sw-force-awakens-movie-screencaps.com-14318.jpg

I've had my droid for ten years now, and in all this time people always place it too high, I keep asking myself what makes them do it? No onscreen droid looks like that and it changes the "face" of R2 drastically.

If you'd like some input: The radar eye sits way too high, it should be a lot closer to the lower panel with the red/blue PSI.

I've had my droid for ten years now, and in all this time people always place it too high, I keep asking myself what makes them do it? No onscreen droid looks like that and it changes the "face" of R2 drastically.

Input is always more than welcome and thank yo so very much for the photos mate :)
I think I mentioned it in one of the posts above but with the pictures of Mock ups so far have all just been loosely placed on with painters tape so it's by no means accurate with the way I put them on haha

When I eventually do get around glueing these dome parts on those reference photos you posted will be incredibly helpful so thank you sir! :)

God bless you buddy that's a lot of sanding!!

Haha thanks mate, it's a good thing I enjoy doing this! And these past 4 years of working with 3D Prints are finally coming in handy, this is easily the biggest thing I've ever printed parts wise! I'm hoping to 3D Model up a frame in the coming weeks that I can get CNC'd as well for reasons you'll see in the next update post ;)

Ok so yesterday was big brown box day!
Which meant I received my aluminium skins! These skins are a thing of beauty, and I've given them a once over and measured the and they're up to snuff which is awesome
1B_zpscxswyw0y.jpg

Last edited:
"3D printing is cheating, you just press a button and out comes a perfect replica"

Not exactly true is it? :p
Still looks like a lot of work :) nicely done so far Jonah. Keep it up!

exactly!!! i just started playing with 3d printed objects now... there is A LOT of work involved getting it to look right. i hate how people say that kind of stuff, like it takes away from being a artist. im glad im not the only one who supports 3d printed props.
:thumbsup

exactly!!! i just started playing with 3d printed objects now... there is A LOT of work involved getting it to look right. i hate how people say that kind of stuff, like it takes away from being a artist. im glad im not the only one who supports 3d printed props.
:thumbsup

Thank you guys, 3D Modelling to me is no different to hand sculpting
It takes just as much time to learn, even more to master it properly. Just as much artistry goes into it as it does by hand
I've started to slowly play with hand sculpting parts, both methods have their place, pros and cons and are more apprise in certain situations. Don't mind me going al grey Jedi on you, light and dark, 3D and Sculpt haha :D

Then next I started working on my skins while waiting for filler to dry and I started by using the chisel method to pop out those panels with hairline cracks
28_zpsxzyyypkq.jpg

Major printing progress was made of the legs, both booster covers were printed out
29_zpsoadmc2w7.jpg

And then more sanding! Surprise ;;)
I was able to host a small Armour party/Astromech party a little bit back so we were able to power through some of the more fiddly sanding
30A_zpsl6d7d7ol.jpg

Last edited:
sanding sanding sanding, it is going to pay off! thats what i keep saying when im working with 3d printed pieces, lol. it looks great buddy! keep cracking away!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back