Blade Runner 2049, old and new blasters!

If recent history is any indicator, the reason Gosling has Deckard's blaster may be Ford is continuing his plan to kill off all his iconic film characters, so Deckard probably gives Officer K his gun right before he dies (probably saving K) in the movie.
That might be why they didnt put much effort into making the new gun look like much, is they planned to have K end up with the PKD all along.

Adam Savage just dropped this shot from Comic-Con. I dunno guys, seeing a detailed shot of it finally... it's no OG blaster, but I like it.

pkJBr0c.png

Also, there's ANOTHER one!

j5LZJvQ.png

You beat me to it @veektohr ! These look great for sci-fi blasters but they just dont look like they belong in the BR world.

I get where people are coming from... but I'm coming around. I mean if the COP is able to exist in the BR universe while being a completely unmodified real-world pistol, I can make room for these in my heart. Especially the second one. I just wish it had a little more going on in the grips!

It seems like I am in a select few... but I actually like the Gosling blaster. Its not as meaty as the PKD, but I dig it, especially with that new photo.

The second blaster falls short for me though. Not detailed enough, reminds me of a cheaper nerf toy pistol.

Does Not flip any of my switches at all. drop the hero In silicone and offer them up tomorrow. and I would pass.

If you look at a comparison of the two high resolution pictures we have so far I believe you can see that the SDCC picture is of a stunt gun, probably a high-definition 3D print or cast piece.
I say this because on the Empire Magazine front cover picture the gun seems to have actual 'wire mesh' panels on the sides of the barrel whereas the SDCC gun has what appears to be a moulded or printed representation of wire mesh.
Also, the Empire shot shows the LED, or red button, on the front of the trigger guard in a small depression whereas the SDCC shot shows it as being just a bump on a flat surface.
Add to this the weathering and metal show-through on the high points in the Empire shot which are missing from the SDCC shot tells me this ain't the hero!
Many thanks to Adam for getting the pics though. It's growing on me!

2049-D.jpg

2049-D.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just unimpressed and uninterested in these blasters. They look like toys. They look like video game light guns to my eye. In the new trailer when Gosling sets his gun down it has to be the least intimidating moment in cinema history. Beyond the fact that Gosling is not scary, his weapon looks like a hair curler.

I have to wonder who it was that said "Over and under double barrel pistols are the wave of the future, obviously!"

I'm hoping that there is some context for the double barrel/over under style of the weapons in the story. But I doubt it.

Have you seen Drive ? I was unimpressed with Gosling before that movie, but he's got chops. If he can bring any of that to the role it should be fine.

:) I hated Drive. I thought Gosling came off like a man with mental illness. I liked him in other films where he was not supposed to be tough. The Nice Guys was fantastic. I thought he did great in that film. I really liked him in Crazy Stupid Love. He's got a knack for comedy.

I'm not sure he's supposed to be a tough guy in this film either. The trailers don't really come off like that, so I'm hoping in the context of the film he's not supposed to be intimidating.

If you saw these out of context nobody would think Blade Runner universe.
Pieced together on a computer screen no doubt and not a bench with numerous firearm parts begging to be fit together.

I get where people are coming from... but I'm coming around. I mean if the COP is able to exist in the BR universe while being a completely unmodified real-world pistol, I can make room for these in my heart. Especially the second one. I just wish it had a little more going on in the grips!

See, I think they are a sleek design but they lack the practicality of the Blade Runner universe for me. I think the reason the unmodified COP works is that it was real. I can't see any practicality to his blaster, I see no magazine, wheel, or even "battery" or something. It looks like something without any logic behind it. Really cool design and I like it for that, I just like it for Star Trek or something of that nature.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back