Blade Runner 2049, old and new blasters!

Sir, I love the grphics work you did for Tomenosuke's boxes. i think you added a value to Tomenosuke's Blaster. Sincerly, Works of art are works of art, CHAPEAU!

Michelle

- - - Updated - - -

I am pleased you agree with me for some of my point of views. This will be a loong post, but understand...seems I am a cat in a big arena. A toy is a toy and Tomenosuke made a good toy blaster, he did something better than Mattel, Sideshow or factory enterteinment. Probably if master replicas never stopped the business, today, I would not be here to talk about a toy!?! Now I'm not explaining my point of view but the facts. Japan is: "The cradle of toy guns"I mean Airsoft or caps guns. Then there are blank firing (for a strange act after WWII the japan could not make blank firing gun) , However, blank firing guns are made almost in steel, so the blank firings can't be called toys, but replica fire arms. Tomenosuke didn't make a replica fire arms either an airsoft replica or a caps firing gun.I understand that a lot of people payied a lot of bucks for a tomenosuke blaster and they would like all people say it is a work of art, "an highly technological hand made props". Someone, lucky collectors, bought a blaster pro kit for few dollars, this said eethan; I was unlucky! I payeid mine $690 plus shipping plus tax for a total of $920.So, in the most of cases, be a owner of a tomenosuke blaster (kit or build up) is an investment, well done, I don't say Tomenosuke Blaster is crap, it is the best toy blaster ever made...for now.I like show to my friends the Tomenosuke's blaster near my Sidkit Blaster. I think that all people here know the words: "Die-cast". The metal parts of a tomenosuke are die-cast.What does it mean? You sure bought a model car, metal model car, the scale may vary, 1/43, 1/24, 1/25, 1/18 they are all made by zama or zamak the name of the inventor of the alloy. Zama is used to made a lot of things ;we use it every day. You probably unkorked a beer with a zama's made bottle opener, and how many times you opened a door with zama's knob handle?But the zama is used, overall, to made toys, for mass production. The upper barrel of the tomenosuke' gun is made of zama die-cast process. also the trigger, hammer and so on......Also the injection plastic machine is used to made plastic toy parts too....and what say about electronics, I received my kit with a well done printed circuit board to light up the five red leds located on the ammo clip, but the side view with two green leds has not wiring, this would includes a guy that do that. At the end... there are a lot of talented (with minor visibility) workshops, in japan, that made a great replica toy guns. One of this toy gun customizer is www.mule.co.jp they made a fantastic charter arms buldog, with plastic, metal parts and wood grips, really an exact replica, it is a caps firing gun, I bought it times ago, I spent $200 if they will make a blaster would cost about $600-$700, built and with firing caps too.But the surprise is that mule buldog is made in the same way the tomenosuke blaster buldog parts are conceived, the same cilynder with round washer at the end, an the steel metal blockage on the main barell......but....Tomenosuke didn't make caps firing bullets. Why? he could made it, believe he could easily make it. As I wrote on precedent post, he tought to sell hundreds of Blaster instanctly and the most them shipped out of japan, so a caps gun firing could be a problem for other countries, better something declared as a toy. If you think I am wrong, show me another popular japanese toy gun maker that sold an accurated gun replica that can't shot bb's or firing caps. I am not pratical of rpf but I will try to include images. About the credits, I worked for a lot companies, in europe, they all asked me to make prototypes. My contracts every time report:" You agree that we will do what we want with your model". So, you are making a crusade for Tomenosuke. The solution is very easy. Ask Tomenosuke scan his contract and show it on the forum, if in the contract is wrote clearely the studios promise the credits, I will stay in front of you for lapidation.

Michelle

View attachment 762292View attachment 762291View attachment 762294View attachment 762293

Michelle, One thing that sets the Tomeu and Sidkit blasters is the weight. The Tomensu blaster might look the part, but the second you pick it up....the illusion is over. A Sidkit is a heavy, beauty.

Thanks, what I mean by match is good enough, both look really good, but I'm wondering which looks more like the one from the 1st film. Based off the image and videos the new 2049 one seem to have a darker tint on the barrel. Like it's almost black.

But it's hard to tell off video and promo pictures what it really looks like.

I know if I get the pro one I'm gonna be spending quite a bit more then the new one.

But I'm trying to figure which one looks more like the original movie and which one is better quality. Is it worth spending double to get the first one.

In my opinion again based off video and pictures the pro looks more worn and more like the original film. But again it hard to say via photos.

Also my worry about the 2049 one in quality, I saw a video comparing the two and he said the 2049 on has more plastic parts, is this true?

Hey Kinkoman1337
I have purchased all the Tomenosuke PRO blasters (completed assembled models only). The upcoming 2049 blaster in October will be the same as the July release 2049 blaster, from what I have been advised via the Tomenosuke and HCG websites. If you want a Tomenosuke blaster 2049, then you will be pleased with the October and the July release.
The TomPRO blasters previous to the 2049 models are very nice well built blasters as well. The 2049 does not have less plastic parts, and while it is painted a dark charcoal black with a grey-blue subtle hue, it looks and feels great. You will not be disappointed. If you want a lighter coloured blaster paint colour then try to get the TomPRO WORLD-CON version. That one was released in about 2012-2013 I think.
In any case, especially if you buy a TomPRO on the secondary market, make sure you ask the seller to check the trigger operation, the LED lights are working OK, and check the bullet cylinder compartment opens and closes correctly. There was one TomPRO a few years ago when I purchased it brand new, the trigger got jammed most of the time and the bullet cylinder door kept jamming as well so Tomenosuke sent me a new replacement. Nowadays, Tomenosuke are very careful about checking all their blaster's mechanical & electronics before they a released for sale.
All my Tomenosuke blasters have been sold to collectors. I do not own any at the moment.:)

I've just gotten this written response from Wired:

Hi Jakob:

Thanks so much for your note to WIRED—I am one of the editors who worked on our Blade Runner piece. We have reviewed the prop master’s comments to our writer, and he doesn’t make any mention of any inspirations other than the original that he borrowed from its current owner. We confirmed this information with the studio, Warner Bros., which leads me to believe that there may be some misunderstanding between Tomenosuke and the production.

However, I’ve reached out to Warner Bros. with this information to see if they can shed some light on the confusion, and I’ll let you know once I hear back from them. If you have any other questions or concerns, please let me know.

Thank you,

Richard Dorment

(see above comments by michelle, long post).....

Hey Michelle. You make and are involved with a great product, the SIDKIT blaster. It is not a toy. Tomenosuke likewise makes a great product also and it is not a toy.
It is as simple as that. One could class it as a "toy" in order to seek Customs and other regulatory authorities' approval, or for safety product compliance certification etc. But that is as far as this "toy" reference goes. You say that some of us here are on a crusade to champion for Tomenosuke. To a small extent this may be true but not overstated like you are purporting. Get over it, live long and happy.:popcorn

Michelle, One thing that sets the Tomeu and Sidkit blasters is the weight. The Tomensu blaster might look the part, but the second you pick it up....the illusion is over. A Sidkit is a heavy, beauty.

Yes... I would envisage the all cast metal SIDKIT would be very heavy compared to the Tomenosuke.
I had an "all metal" COYLE blaster and that was pretty heavy (4 pounds), so the SIDKIT having a metal steyr ammo casing as well would make it very heavy indeed....nice.
The lighter Tomenosuke blaster is still a formidable gun in terms of heft and weight though (about 3 pounds). Feels a good weight in the hand and that is no illusion.:)

Last edited:
Yes... I would envisage the all cast metal SIDKIT would be very heavy compared to the Tomenosuke.
I had an "all metal" COYLE blaster and that was pretty heavy (4 pounds), so the SIDKIT having a metal steyr ammo casing as well would make it very heavy indeed....nice.
The lighter Tomenosuke blaster is still a formidable gun in terms of heft and weight though (about 3+ pounds). Feels a good weight in the hand and that is no illusion.:)

The Tomen is 3 lbs? Thats some heavy plastic. Funny thing, is I replaced my Sidkit Magazine with the correct plastic Steyer one.

The Tomen is 3 lbs? Thats some heavy plastic. Funny thing, is I replaced my Sidkit Magazine with the correct plastic Steyer one.
Yes. The Tomenosuke is about 3 pounds in weight....nice. The Sidkit with a plastic mag' will still be very heavy at around the 4 pounds...very nice.
Some heavy plastic for the Tomenosuke you say?.... It is made of various Metals, Special HW plastic (composite metal - plastic mix), ABS plastic and other plastics.
Tomenosuke_PRO_2015_Blaster.jpg

Last edited:
The Sidkit with a plastic mag' will still be very heavy at around the 4 pounds...very nice.

Sidkit with the pewter mag, a Teddz steel barrel and an empty cylinder; 4lb 2.6oz or 1.887kg.
Waiting for some dummy cartridges to add more weight. I love heavy guns.

Photo 29-09-2017, 11 46 39.jpg

Photo 29-09-2017, 11 46 39.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I thought it was more plastic than metal.

No I don't think this is accurate. The only reason the Tomenosuke has less metal is that Japanese law does not permit the barrel or cylinder to be metal. It not like they set out to make it all plastic. You can replace the barrel and cylinder quite easily with metal once you have it.

I shall do :) I also have the 2049 version. It's worth the money if you can get it, it's pretty much the holy grail of my collection :p

Just what I wanted to hear :) I have pre ordered the new 2049 from HCG and cant wait. I just hope I don't have any bother from customs!!

In 1998 I had the resin PKD kit and in 2007 had the Sidkit but had to let them both go. I have both types of the water pistol to work on but I still wanted the blaster of all blasters...........This is it!

Last edited:

Not going to debate anything you said - except: To me "toys" are to meant be played with, and are not the same as collector's replicas or prop replicas, regardless of the material used to create them. I have a degree in industrial design and am somewhat familiar with various materials and processes, but appreciate your very detailed explanation. I understand why Tomenosuke could not, for various reasons, create all parts in metal. Never having owned a Sidkit version, I can't compare the two, but my all metal Coyle version didn't seem THAT much heavier (before I modified it). Glocks are very light and are mostly polymer, so the weight issue wasn't a problem with me at all. Frankly, my blaster is so heavy now, it feels nearly unusable if it were an actual sidearm.

The Tomenosuke is far from perfect. The oversize grip is my biggest complaint as it is not accurate to the original prop. I have replaced the cylinder with one from a real CA Bulldog and replaced the barrel with a steel one. I hated the black plastic barrel and cylinder with the metal disk in it. The win for me is the fit and finish and the smooth/clean "firing" action. I like the fact that it looks and feels professionally manufactured. A caps firing version would be great, but I don't see myself going around firing blanks to add to the experience.

If it falls into some strict category as a "toy", I don't really care. It just seemed that you felt it nec. to label it as such because of your own personal feelings about Tomenosuke and their product. My apologies if that is not the case.

As to the fact of whether or not the Tomenosuke is being used in the Blade Runner 2049 film or not, I'm still waiting to hear back back from Dan Lanigan about his knowledge (please see Mark's @KramStaar response above) regarding the use of the original blaster. But again, even without a certified copy of any contract with the studio, the blaster the production is showing as the actual prop used in the new film, EXACTLY matches the Tomenosuke and NOT the original BR prop. The blocked barrel and metal disk in the cylinder really give it away to me. Even if another manufacturer created the blaster Tomenosuke claims is their's, why haven't they spoke out against the prop master claiming they recreated the 2049 prop , "bolt for bolt" from the original. I' am not crusading for Tomenosuke as much as protesting a huge production that is clearly misinforming the public and not giving credit where it is due.

Check out Tomenosuke's blog http://tenshu53.exblog.jp/237784788/ if you have not already. I don't know why they would make this stuff up, especially when anyone can see it with their own eyes and know the truth.

201709%2F22%2F42%2Fa0077842_20491824.jpg

Last edited:
Almost all the pieces in my prop collection are all made from machined metal, most with electronics or moving mechanisms.
Most of them cost hundreds of pounds. But I still call them 'my toys'.
I have no problem with the phrase at all. It doesn't matter and I think we're focusing on the wrong part of the discussion here.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back