M19 telescope mhr 1942 build

Maybe because it's a periscope scope, not a telescope. BTW look at #31

Sherman.JPG

Maybe 3x ??? , ill have to check,,, I have a company looking into grinding these lens for the replica . I should know more this week.

- - - Updated - - -

I wish I had a poster size copy of that sherman diagram LOL

LOL ,,hopefully your hunch will be wrong. LOL I really hope to bring a affordable,all metal and functional replica to the prop world... So far its looking good.. M19 and m38 are all getting more and more costly and rare. Even the a2's on eBay are up to 200 and 300 dollars.. The military collectors are aware of there movie significance . Makes it a lot worse . It was nice to find a periscope in the army surplus store for 100 dollars , not any more ...Lucky are those that have a collected them years .

Wish you could get that post in a vector file... like to see it up close ..

JKNO , do you own many real ones?

Thanks for your input.

Yeah the prices are climbing but not like Graflex flashes which have gone silly but still seem to be plenty in number.

Field Marshall That is something you or someone else could look into. Very accurate C96 replicas would sell like hot cakes on here

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a pretty large collection of real broomhandle mausers ,, the denix and the mgc are very good copies.... Short of having the ability to fire something.. The finish and machining on the replicas is actually nicer than the originals... lol

- - - Updated - - -

when did you get the mgc sterling ,,, there were not many made right?

I got it right here on RPF a couple years ago. MGC Sterlings seem to be quite rare indeed, looked for one for a long time

MGC ROTJ Stormtrooper blaster 45.jpg

I still dream of having a MGC Broom handle in my collection one day. Probably far fetched. As stated earlier they're almost as expensive as the real deal LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The M38 and M19 scopes are both 1.44x exactly by default, along with all the other M series telescopes inside Sherman tank periscopes. I still have the original documentation that came with my scope to prove it. It also came with the included conversion lenses to convert it to a 4.4x telescope, or a 30x microscope. But 1.44x was the standard magnification for the M-Series scopes.

Also I wanted to point out that Rogue One does use the M38, however it is a 1943 version with the wide front foot,
NOT the 1942 version seen in ANH which has the narrow front foot. As Jnko pointed out on the previous page a 1943 M38 just went for $360 USD on eBay a few days ago. I tried bidding on that scope but I didn't win the auction.

Last edited:
The M38 and M19 scopes are both 1.44x exactly by default, along with all the other M series telescopes inside Sherman tank periscopes. I still have the original documentation that came with my scope to prove it. It also came with the included conversion lenses to convert it to a 4.4x telescope, or a 30x microscope. But 1.44x was the standard magnification for the M-Series scopes.

Also I wanted to point out that Rogue One does use the M38, however it is a 1943 version with the wide front foot,
NOT the 1942 version seen in ANH which has the narrow front foot.

In ANH they used both M38/M401942 and 1943 with both type of feet (curved or straight):

M38-M40 scope - curved foot 02.png M38-M40 scope - curved foot 03.png

M38-M40 scope - straight foot 01.png M38-M40 scope - straight foot 03.png

It would be cool if you'd be able to scan the documentation for the M scopes. I have a copy but is not too good alas

In ANH they used both M38/M401942 and 1943 with both type of feet (curved or straight):

It would be cool if you'd be able to scan the documentation for the M scopes. I have a copy but is not too good alas

Nice screenshots, yes ANH used both '42 and '43 scopes but Rogue One appears to ONLY use the '43 is what I meant. Not '42 scopes seen in ANH.
I was never really a fan of the wide front foot overhanging the scope rail, I prefer the 1942 narrow front foot but to each their own. Variety is a good thing and I'd still really like to have a '43 in my collection of blaster parts for future builds.

I will try to get a scan of the document and upload it, I sent a photo of it to Field Marshall already but I will get it digitally scanned for higher resolution.

Last edited:
Nice screenshots, yes ANH used both '42 and '43 scopes but Rogue One appears to ONLY use the '43 is what I meant. Not '42 scopes seen in ANH.
I was never really a fan of the wide front foot overhanging the scope rail, I prefer the 1942 narrow front foot but to each their own. Variety is a good thing and I'd still really like to have a '43 in my collection of blaster parts for future builds.

I will try to get a scan of the document and upload it, I sent a photo of it to Field Marshall already but I will get it digitally scanned for higher resolution.

MR also used the curved/narrow foot of the '43 for their E-11. Personally I like both. Curious if through RO we'll see wide/straight foot '42 scopes too

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back