Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet

It should work.
I'm used to the fiberglass mother molds.

From some projects my costuming group has done in the past, we went the more traditional route like in this video.

The up side of the brush on silicon is getting in all the detail areas so there isn't any bubbles in the mold.
The down side is having to keep brushing more on over hours, pour in version is pretty much one or 2 pours and your done.

If you plan to slosh cast then maybe something more like this will work.
helmet mold.jpg
Having the inside more hollow so you only have to cast the outer edges.

Or you could just do a 2 part mold (inside & outside) and solid cast them.

If you plan to slosh cast then maybe something more like this will work.
View attachment 677233
Having the inside more hollow so you only have to cast the outer edges.

Or you could just do a 2 part mold (inside & outside) and solid cast them.

exactly what i was planning at first. but with your diagram, the hollow area, do you fill that with as well, to block off the top? i was just thinking that would be a lot of clay and cost a lot more money. i was debating on finding something like a bowl, to shove in the hollow area then use clay to fill the gap between the dome shield and the bowl. i was even thinking of sacrificing a M1 helmet just to fill the hollow area, but then got to thinking of finding some kind of Tupperware bowl

i really appreciate your advice!

the tupperware container would be upside down, simulating the curved shape of the m1 helmet. i could fill that whole thing with clay but that would be a lot of money in clay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i would also do a 2 piece mother mold, i would try to keep the rebound 25 in 1 piece, depends i think the dome shield will have enough shape to pull out without ripping. basically something like this. i would prefer to keep the silicone mold 1 piece but we shall see

14672549289_073dd698fb_c.jpg

Still trying to think of a way to avoid wasting material on the casting side.

If you do mold it with the M1 inside, do a single open face (with mother mold) then you could just pour resin in then place a greased helmet inside pushing the resin up the sides and leaving it hollow cast for the most part.

Once cured just remove the M1 then remove the mold from the mother and pull out the resin copy.

With the original idea I posted (bunt pan like shape) the cone would go through the middle so less material is used.
No need for the tupperware bowl.

All these plans look awesome will throw this in the mix too, how bout roto casting it?

that's my goal, i don't have the tools right now to do it otherwise. i'm practically starting all over.

these will be roto cast, also known as slush casting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just chiming in so I have quick access to this thread later on. Very interesting. An M1 helmet is probably a lot easier and cheaper to get (also iirc there are NATO variants from different countries available) than the WWII thing used for the donut helmet in RotJ. So it might be within my reach to actually build one (even if not a screen-accurate replica)
I was wondering if the shield assembly could not be directly handcrafted from styrodur (hard construction foam) or cosplayflex or any of those fancy new materials. Might be easier, but who am I to know.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Just chiming in so I have quick access to this thread later on. Very interesting. An M1 helmet is probably a lot easier and cheaper to get (also iirc there are NATO variants from different countries available) than the WWII thing used for the donut helmet in RotJ. So it might be within my reach to actually build one (even if not a screen-accurate replica)
I was wondering if the shield assembly could not be directly handcrafted from styrodur (hard construction foam) or cosplayflex or any of those fancy new materials. Might be easier, but who am I to know.

Yes maybe, but it would suck to mass producw them like that.

Alex

Not for mass-production. For production of a master which could *then* be used to create a mould for mass-production. Maybe more efficient than to try and mould around a full helmet first.

Oh ok misunderstood then. I thought you meant makr everyones individually by hand.

Alex

The outer layer of the helmet reminds me alot of a 1970s Cooper SK 600 hockey helmet maybe used that as a base of its molds and concepts.
$_1.JPG

$_3.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back