Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet

It should be pretty tight, got a cover from the this current run and they fit well, make sure you have it around the correct way. It has a slightly larger arc seam for the front to accommodate the peak.

Yes you can hot soak it and then put the cover on the helmet and hair dry it or even Iron it to get some of the ripples out. once its ironed it gives a slightly more stiffer look too.

Make sure if your going to weather it with acrylic paint do it first other wise you may loose some of the stiffness you get from the earlier process.
I highly recommend watching this tested video on weathering and distressing to get some great looking effects.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could jut wash it in the washing machine on hot and dry it hot. Should shrink it a bit.

The reason i shied away from that approach is that it might shrink too much and would not be able to fit the cover back on.

I went for the old tried and true method for those of you old enough for when shrink to fit jeans was the craze. I wanted to cover to form a custom fit therefore I wanted to keep the cover on the helmet.

Also once the cover fit the way I wanted it, I hot glued the ends of the ribbed section to the rest of the cover rather than it flapping around.

I would like to come up with another question. It was discussed earlier in this thread but I am not sure if this picture was already available back then. I think, they glued a magnet to the torch. What do you think?

View attachment 735377

And what is this thing?

View attachment 735519

Don't know what they did but that is basically what I did except i felt the wire basket was too problematic for mounting and adjusting. I went wit ha simpler method for the magnet mount.

As to if that is a magnet, it could simply be a a flat piece that attached the wire bracket too so that they had something flat to glue it to.

The mic stuff is interesting. I had seen a wire in that area but I thought it was some attempt to run some sort of light, or LED effect in the lamp. Funny how much more detail there are to these helmets that we first thought.

Also, I use the term "lamp" loosely as I do not think there has been any evidence as to what that real is supposed to be. I for one am trying to run a light through it, but that's just me.

Oh, shrink-to-fit :lol just buy your size hahah

However, back to the subject at hand. Got ahold of my 3d print guy who's printing up the strap camera and extra deathstick box, and flashlight.

Now to decide which helmet to do.... I'm thinking of the poster helmet just so I can display it from a wall mount below the framed poster.

Can I talk anyone here into making a lamp housing that will fit a small flashlight I have?

I have a great idea for housing to hold an existing flashlight that allows you easily to open and close the unit for battery changes but I lack the knowledge of 3D design,

The reason i shied away from that approach is that it might shrink too much and would not be able to fit the cover back on.

I went for the old tried and true method for those of you old enough for when shrink to fit jeans was the craze. I wanted to cover to form a custom fit therefore I wanted to keep the cover on the helmet.

Also once the cover fit the way I wanted it, I hot glued the ends of the ribbed section to the rest of the cover rather than it flapping around.

Hey Frank

So you put the cover onto the outer helmet and soaked it in hot water?
DId you remove the strapping before this?
Did you fix the cover to the helmet somehow...f.e. with clamps!?

thx

No, I left everything on it. I had preshrunk the chin strap ahead of time and I was not worried about the internal straps as they already looked weathered and figured they already seen their share of moisture.

I had four of those rubber bands so I used those (a couple around the helmet high and low and then the other two I put on vertical front and back. Once in the water, I would shift the bands slightly to ensure water got underneath.

I let it set in the hot water for about 15 minutes.

Once out of the water, I hit it with the heat from the hair dryer. I hit the bottom edge first. Once it looked like it was starting to dry, I took out the liner and hit the edge from the inside and towel dryer the liner and the inside of the helmet. I did not totally dry the cover from the inside, rather I put the liner back in and would come back to it now and then as I continued with the rest of the helmet.

I started drying with the two bands around the helmet, I would watch for any creases in the fabric and and adjust as needed. If there was a crease starting dry, then I would put water on the crease and re-dry.

About midway through drying process, i removed the last two bands and completed drying the cover.

I'm going to try to find an older model Zebralight H60 and mount it to my helmet and have something that looks the part and is functional.
ZebralightH60W.jpgny1yT.jpg

No, I left everything on it. I had preshrunk the chin strap ahead of time and I was not worried about the internal straps as they already looked weathered and figured they already seen their share of moisture.

I had four of those rubber bands so I used those (a couple around the helmet high and low and then the other two I put on vertical front and back. Once in the water, I would shift the bands slightly to ensure water got underneath.

I let it set in the hot water for about 15 minutes.

Once out of the water, I hit it with the heat from the hair dryer. I hit the bottom edge first. Once it looked like it was starting to dry, I took out the liner and hit the edge from the inside and towel dryer the liner and the inside of the helmet. I did not totally dry the cover from the inside, rather I put the liner back in and would come back to it now and then as I continued with the rest of the helmet.

I started drying with the two bands around the helmet, I would watch for any creases in the fabric and and adjust as needed. If there was a crease starting dry, then I would put water on the crease and re-dry.

About midway through drying process, i removed the last two bands and completed drying the cover.

Thx Frank! :thumbsup

This helmet makes me crazy. Its basically my first prop and I tought it might me easier then others, but this helmet has so many details...

Basically first version is done but I will get another fabric helmet topper and another blast shield just to try something else with color and weathering etc. I still have quite many open questions:

1) What color has the fabric cover? Most covers I saw as well as the one I am currently using are Tan. But on the picutes it often looks more like Coyote.

2) What color has the blast shield? I think its more blue then green and I have no idea how I can copy this realistic blueis dark steel look. I used some metal primer, Montana Black "Space" and some slik matte black. But overall I think it should look more shiny or less matte. I am thinking of spraying some clear vanish on it. Would that make sense? This is my current helmet:

Foto 10.06.17, 21 53 37.jpgFoto 10.06.17, 21 54 12.jpgFoto 10.06.17, 21 57 14.jpg

3) The helmet straps: As shown, do they have some leather on top of the nylon? Is this military standard or did the costume builders do it? Could be some old watch strap.

Unbenannt-1.jpg

4) And what could this "radio" on the strap be made of? I agree with others here that the long part with the cable is a part of a Aux Microfone Adapter. But what is the round part?

magnettorch.jpgstrapthing.jpg

theres definitely somthing there, check this picture out of the solider on the left

IMG_5706.JPG

It looks like it piece falls right over his left ear. I say it's got to be some one sort of ear piece for their coms or somthing.

So I just got the Mr. Hemming's helmet cover and there's no button holes for the chin strap to pass through. What have you guys been doing? Slicing holes in it?

Okay, I got my helmet cover yesterday, fitted it to my helmet and distressed it. All good except...
I watched the Scarif battle scene and paused it on every helmet that came up and one thing is for sure.
The helmets had flat tops, I mean FLAT.
And not all soldiers were wearing M1 helmets either. I saw at least one example of a helmet in profile that had literally no contour along the bottom, it was almost straight across but the chin strap swivels were plainly visible.

So I think maybe they dented the tops of the helmets in and made a flat spot on them that the ribbed cover hides but makes the helmet appear flat on top.

Look at this- my helmet looks nothing like this in profile-
IMG_5090.JPG

P.S. The helmet covers in the movie are (in my opinion) a completely different color than the Mr. Hemming's cover. Not even close. The movie covers are pretty brown or at least 'coyote brown' and not tan or light olive.

P.S. The helmet covers in the movie are (in my opinion) a completely different color than the Mr. Hemming's cover. Not even close. The movie covers are pretty brown or at least 'coyote brown' and not tan or light olive.

I totally agree with the color on the fabric colors. I saved this image so that when I get mine I can get a accurate color and match my shirt.
IMG_5703.JPG
Pretty dark in color.

All I know is that my M1 helmet and helmet cover look nothing like the ones in the movie. Hundreds of dollars for a kinda-sorta maybe from 100 feet away it looks like a Rogue One helmet? I'm more than a little ticked off. All I think when I look at my helmet is 'That's not a Rogue One helmet.'

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back