Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet

@halliwax I'm fine with doing the filing and sanding for the prints if you'd like. I'll be honest I have little experience smoothing prints. If you'd just like the raw prints that's good too. Just let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have no problem with assembly and smoothing. its totally up to you

halliwax I will definitely be able to get more prints out to you if I don't need to smooth them out. Do you need more than one print?

Last edited by a moderator:
@halliwax I will definitely be able to get more prints out to you if I don't need to smooth them out. Do you need more than one print?

no i think 1 is all i need. I'm just going to smooth the heck out of it and then cast it. once the casting is over all i use is the molds to produce more. I'm just hoping i can pull off this mold in 1 attempt lol

you know... I'm wondering. when casting this the dome shield is holo. i plan on making a mold that i can slush cast. so its basically making this dome shield solid at the top and when turned upside down it acts like a bowl. i dont know if using that large amount of clay will give the silicone a hard time curing...

to be honest this would be the first time I've ever used that large amount of clay in any of my molds...

I'm wondering if it would be easier if the dome shield when printed had a top to it? it wouldnt have to be round it could be flat. i dont know how the dome shield is printed, if printed upside down you could use a flat foundation. again i dont know how its printed... I'm going to have to seek out a casting expert. see if that large amount of clay is going to give the rebound 25 a hard time

i have google search but haven't really found the answer. i know many people say not to use sulfur based clay and stick with water based. i just would hate to do a small test pour on a clay dome ( like using a plastic drinking cup, with a clay dome on top) as a test and it work because of the small amount of clay. but once i fill the 3d print with all that clay... i just fear the clay isn't going to cure. ill report back if i find my answer

- - - Updated - - -

Alright awesome. I'm getting the flashlights printed later this week and I'll send them over to you soon. @halliwax

i didnt know I'm casting flash lights?

Not sure how I'm printing the bucket shield yet will start working out the design tonight. The cards have some good angles all I really need is a pic of the opposite side to the poster and the back. pretty sure there are some grooves on the back and 5 holes on the side you can just see them on one of the cards and easy to see on the lego figure.
Maybe I just put the flash light up on myminifactory and shapeways and people can do their own?

Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 10.09.21 PM.png

I really think that the fabric cover is a cloth, rather than a suede leather. It's definitely hard to tell, but the stippling effect just below the dome shield here looks to me like a twill or something...

halliwax I might have misunderstood then, as canister designed some files for the flashlight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure how I'm printing the bucket shield yet will start working out the design tonight. The cards have some good angles all I really need is a pic of the opposite side to the poster and the back. pretty sure there are some grooves on the back and 5 holes on the side you can just see them on one of the cards and easy to see on the lego figure.
Maybe I just put the flash light up on myminifactory and shapeways and people can do their own?

im in no rush. my wheels have been turning trying to think of ways to mold this. i agree there is one photo that looks like there is holes on the wearers right side. i also swear i see something on the very back on the russian poster.

View attachment 676928

I really think that the fabric cover is a cloth, rather than a suede leather. It's definitely hard to tell, but the stippling effect just below the dome shield here looks to me like a twill or something...
What about the military standard issue blankets from Vietnam? My grandfather served in Nam and he says they look very similar to the standard issue blankets.

Alex

after all night comparing pictures... i have come to the conclusion in order to come out the cheapest. im going to just buy 2 M1 helmets. 1 for the replica, and one to cut up and use as a filler to fill the giant hole in the top of the dome shield. with cutting the M1 helmet up like this it will also allow me to add a skirt on the bottom of the dome shield real tight to it.

as for a plan, after a night of debating i got one! ;) :thumbsup

Even these are a new shape even thogh they look similar to the endor helmets, was scouring the rebel legion forum for info on the poster helmet.

What about canvas for the cover? thats looks like a good option too.

wow great link there Simthjohnj!

Awesome Halliwax, Even a plastic one for the 2nd one would work great I guess.

Last edited:
The cloth cover is just that, cloth.
Most helmets come with covers or you can buy one.
Try to match the material.

Instead of trying to cut up a helmet for your mold (good luck with that) cover the helmet with plastic wrap, place the outer shell on top then clay the edge's so there is no leakage.
You can get non sulfur Plasticine (oil based clay) at just about any art store including Michael's.

When I did the side light for my nieces Rey costume I cast the mold inside some tubing then once molded cut the tubing open to use as the mother mold using rubber bands to keep it tight when casting.
Since you will probably be hollow casting you may have to make the mold with removable plug center (2 piece mold) or have a greased tubing to drip in.
The finger of a latex glove over it with a bit of Vaseline should work.

When I did the side light for my nieces Rey costume I cast the mold inside some tubing then once molded cut the tubing open to use as the mother mold using rubber bands to keep it tight when casting.
Since you will probably be hollow casting you may have to make the mold with removable plug center (2 piece mold) or have a greased tubing to drip in.
The finger of a latex glove over it with a bit of Vaseline should work.

Thanks Division IM guessing something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkzFOFzQtp8

division what do you think of that video. honestly i was watching a bunch of his videos last night. I've never cast a object of this size before. i was planing on going the route like the video, making the mold the exact way. i was going to use free form air, but im thinking by the time i buy the FFA, then fiberglass over it i might as well just go with the paste in the video.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back