Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    Oct 25, 2016, 7:03 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #151

Legend! Thanks Sheeple.
    Was wondering if it was a cut to thread the strap through, the pic says it all.

Alex I was thinking it might be made from the same material as the one on Sheepls pic? It looks like it could be weathered heavy drill.

Then again it kida does look a bit suede-ish. I will flick through the other pics we have. . .

Last edited by canister; Oct 25, 2016 at 7:13 PM.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Oct 25, 2016, 7:08 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #152

canister said: View Post
    I think the main cost is going to be with Halliwax and Alex (casting and fabric + sewing), Im guessing we wont know too much about that until they have something to cast/sew.

Hi guys just started playing around with a pattern for the cover, Thanks Sheeple for those measurements.
    Front view was pretty handy gave me a good indication of width and you can see its got the seam and a stitch down also. Im guessing the baffles or what ever they are called start just before the armor. After having a look at the endor rebel helmet builds Rebel Legion. I figured I could have a play to see how they look.
    Attachment 676809Attachment 676810Attachment 676811Attachment 676812

There's going to be a long strip for the center every baffle is double the top width 15mm (30mm total). other than that getting the cover to sit nice means getting the side pannels cut at the right angle. I have noticed that I will need to cut a hole for the buckle/strap. Anyone with a real cover could you take a pic of how that part is done please and I will intergrate it.
    i have no idea yet how the dome shields will cost. i know as of right now ill be into "setup" at just under 500 bucks. this includes, the smooth-on rebound 25. i like that because i dont have a pressure pot anymore, and think i can get away with rebound 25, the vex hardener, free foam air for the mother mold. i need to find a way to make a top/plug to the dome shield, some lexan to make a reenforcement plate. i am hoping this will be enough resin to cast 10 shields. but i will only know the exact number once i get the first one done.

i also have to become a premium member in order to post in the junkyard so thats 30 bucks or so. i am not into this project to get rich. to be honest i feel completely un easy even though i will have the permission from the 3d modeler and 3d printer to cast these off. i feel like I'm making money off their work, i dont want to make any profit off this run, so its probably going to be a small run of 10 or so. put it this way, the core group of guys who have contributed to this build, your golden

the hardest part is making and casting the mold. i bet you once i have it mocked up and plugged with clay, it takes me 2-3 days to finish the silicon mold and mother mold. possibility 2 days... with my work schedule i would have to start this friday night and work all weekend on it. the hardest part is waiting for the silicon to tack up in order to lay on the next layer. depending on the climate this can take up to a hour. if i do 7 lays of silicon ( at least 5) you can see where the time comes into being a challenge. if i can do the print layer, and silicone mold in 1 day, then the mother mold the next we will be in good shape.

then i can slush these suckers out probably 1 a day.
    Last edited by halliwax; Oct 25, 2016 at 7:14 PM.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Oct 25, 2016, 7:20 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #153

im not sold on the rebound 25 i still have a lot of options to weigh out...
  4. The good-looking one;) RPF Premium Member PropReplicator2's Avatar
    From
    Abilene,TX
    Oct 25, 2016, 7:25 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #154

I don't own a sewing machine so for the past number of years I have sewn everything of mine by hand so making these can take time. Just a heads up.

Alex

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Oct 25, 2016, 7:43 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #155

alexmiller1 said: View Post
    I don't own a sewing machine so for the past number of years I have sewn everything of mine by hand so making these can take time. Just a heads up.

Alex

yes, i cant see my dome shields being done before the premier to be honest
  6. The good-looking one;) RPF Premium Member PropReplicator2's Avatar
    From
    Abilene,TX
    Oct 25, 2016, 7:46 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #156

halliwax said: View Post
    yes, i cant see my dome shields being done before the premier to be honest
    Yes everything sounds good and looks fine on paper until it comes down to doing the actual work. Then you realize how long stuff actually takes.

Once you start the molds some time I'll buy the fabric and get to sewing

Alex
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Oct 25, 2016, 7:57 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #157

Yes everything sounds good and looks fine on paper until it comes down to doing the actual work. Then you realize how long stuff actually takes.

Once you start the molds some time I'll buy the fabric and get to sewing

Alex
    once the 3d prints are in my hands i can assemble them, and start filling and sanding. the smooth it is the easier to mold. it would be a push before december i dont know if i can make that kind of dead line. i sure will try
  8. The good-looking one;) RPF Premium Member PropReplicator2's Avatar
    From
    Abilene,TX
    Oct 25, 2016, 7:57 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #158

After looking into how much the suede and sewing materials are going to cost me, I'm looking at selling the fabric covers for somewhere around $20-$30 a piece.

Each one will take roughly 8-10 hrs a piece to sew by hand.

Alex

9. The good-looking one;) RPF Premium Member PropReplicator2's Avatar
    From
    Abilene,TX
    Oct 25, 2016, 8:09 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #159

Just seen this as well... looks more like the ROTJ version with a more FMJ look to it..

Alex
    From
    South Carolina
    Oct 25, 2016, 8:16 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #160

@halliwax I'm fine with doing the filing and sanding for the prints if you'd like. I'll be honest I have little experience smoothing prints. If you'd just like the raw prints that's good too. Just let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Oct 25, 2016, 8:19 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #161

elr02k said: View Post
    @halliwax I'm fine with doing the filing and sanding for the prints if you'd like. I'll be honest I have little experience smoothing prints. If you'd just like the raw prints that's good too. Just let me know

i have no problem with assembly and smoothing. its totally up to you
    From
    South Carolina
    Oct 25, 2016, 8:21 PM - Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #162

@halliwax I will definitely be able to get more prints out to you if I don't need to smooth them out. Do you need more than one print?

From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Oct 25, 2016, 8:24 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #163

@halliwax I will definitely be able to get more prints out to you if I don't need to smooth them out. Do you need more than one print?

no i think 1 is all i need. I'm just going to smooth the heck out of it and then cast it. once the casting is over all i use is the molds to produce more. I'm just hoping i can pull off this mold in 1 attempt lol
    From
    South Carolina
    Oct 25, 2016, 8:26 PM - Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #164

Alright awesome. I'm getting the flashlights printed later this week and I'll send them over to you soon. @halliwax

From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Oct 25, 2016, 8:53 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #165

you know... I'm wondering. when casting this the dome shield is holo. i plan on making a mold that i can slush cast. so its basically making this dome shield solid at the top and when turned upside down it acts like a bowl. i dont know if using that large amount of clay will give the silicone a hard time curing...

to be honest this would be the first time I've ever used that large amount of clay in any of my molds...

I'm wondering if it would be easier if the dome shield when printed had a top to it? it wouldnt have to be round it could be flat. i dont know how the dome shield is printed, if printed upside down you could use a flat foundation. again i dont know how its printed... I'm going to have to seek out a casting expert. see if that large amount of clay is going to give the rebound 25 a hard time

i have google search but haven't really found the answer. i know many people say not to use sulfur based clay and stick with water based. i just would hate to do a small test pour on a clay dome ( like using a plastic drinking cup, with a clay dome on top) as a test and it work because of the small amount of clay. but once i fill the 3d print with all that clay... i just fear the clay isn't going to cure. ill report back if i find my answer

- - - Updated - - -

Alright awesome. I'm getting the flashlights printed later this week and I'll send them over to you soon. @halliwax

i didnt know I'm casting flash lights?
  16. RPF Premium Member canister's Avatar
    Oct 25, 2016, 9:11 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #166

Not sure how I'm printing the bucket shield yet will start working out the design tonight. The cards have some good angles all I really need is a pic of the opposite side to the poster and the back. pretty sure there are some grooves on the back and 5 holes on the side you can just see them on one of the cards and easy to see on the lego figure.
    Maybe I just put the flash light up on myminifactory and shapeways and people can do their own?
    From
    Cincinnati, OH
    Oct 25, 2016, 9:12 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #167

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 10.09.21 PM.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	477.5 KB 
ID:	676928

I really think that the fabric cover is a cloth, rather than a suede leather. It's definitely hard to tell, but the stippling effect just below the dome shield here looks to me like a twill or something...
    From
    South Carolina
    Oct 25, 2016, 9:14 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #168

@halliwax I might have misunderstood then, as canister designed some files for the flashlight.

From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Oct 25, 2016, 9:17 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #169

canister said: View Post
    Not sure how I'm printing the bucket shield yet will start working out the design tonight. The cards have some good angles all I really need is a pic of the opposite side to the poster and the back. pretty sure there are some grooves on the back and 5 holes on the side you can just see them on one of the cards and easy to see on the lego figure.
    Maybe I just put the flash light up on myminifactory and shapeways and people can do their own?
    im in no rush. my wheels have been turning trying to think of ways to mold this. i agree there is one photo that looks like there is holes on the wearers right side. i also swear i see something on the very back on the russian poster.
  20. The good-looking one;) RPF Premium Member PropReplicator2's Avatar
    From
    Abilene,TX
    Oct 25, 2016, 9:17 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #170

Thain said: View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 10.09.21 PM.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	477.5 KB 
ID:	676928

I really think that the fabric cover is a cloth, rather than a suede leather. It's definitely hard to tell, but the stippling effect just below the dome shield here looks to me like a twill or something...
    What about the military standard issue blankets from Vietnam? My grandfather served in Nam and he says they look very similar to the standard issue blankets.

Alex
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Oct 25, 2016, 9:19 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #171

What about the military standard issue blankets from Vietnam? My grandfather served in Nam and he says they look very similar to the standard issue blankets.

Alex
    tell him i said "thank you for your service".
  22. The good-looking one;) RPF Premium Member PropReplicator2's Avatar
    From
    Abilene,TX
    Oct 25, 2016, 9:21 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #172

halliwax said: View Post
    tell him i said "thank you for your service".
    Will do. He served in Nam+10 additional years. Most of my family has served at least 10 years.

Anyways, here are some pics of the blankets:

Alex
  23. Member Since
    May 2013
    From
    Crownsville, MD, USA
    Oct 25, 2016, 10:06 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #173

I am enjoying the collaboration on this project but some of you may be working too hard to reinvent the wheel. There are a number of websites which may be on assistance. For example here is one specific to the M1 helmet and how it is "assembled" for the field.

https://lastpatrol.wordpress.com/fie...our-m1-helmet/
    Last edited by smithjohnj; Oct 26, 2016 at 12:02 AM.
    From
    Cincinnati, OH
    Oct 25, 2016, 10:10 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #174

Will do. He served in Nam+10 additional years. Most of my family has served at least 10 years.

Anyways, here are some pics of the blankets:
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...a6e70f40ba.jpg
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...5b78592688.jpg

Alex
    Yes, tell him and the others in your family thank you for their service from me as well! As for the blanket - I'm convinced
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Oct 25, 2016, 10:40 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #175

after all night comparing pictures... i have come to the conclusion in order to come out the cheapest. im going to just buy 2 M1 helmets. 1 for the replica, and one to cut up and use as a filler to fill the giant hole in the top of the dome shield. with cutting the M1 helmet up like this it will also allow me to add a skirt on the bottom of the dome shield real tight to it.

as for a plan, after a night of debating i got one!