Subscribe
    Oct 21, 2016, 2:05 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #126

The correct version of the M1 helmet is the Vietnam era style, lower profile helmet. Hope this is helpful.

If your looking for the Correct version here are the things to look for;

Curve of the Helmet, left is the 1970's M1, right is the WW2 version.

rpf member BobZurukle

The seam around the bottom of the helmet is joined at the back, If you find one with the seam at the front its a WW2 version.

Your straps may vary and could have been repaired with a plastic rim for the strapping to fit to the inner helmet, its your choice to decide how authentic you want your build to be. here is an original inner with original strapping.
    Close up of the strap and screen shot of the trailer helmet.

screen capture Rogue One trailer.
  2. RPF Premium Member PropReplicator2's Avatar
    From
    Abilene,TX
    Oct 21, 2016, 2:07 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #127

And if anyone is interested in kids m1's I found a bunch of plastic ones with fabric on them recently and will pick them up if anyone wants to buy them!

Alex

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk
    Oct 21, 2016, 3:09 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #128

So I agree with the torch ideas, the clip looks like the go.

here are some renders that I've made up, Thain looks like you have it sorted too.
    I beveled the edge of the 13 rounds on the cylinder and made the front end beveled with a lip for torch like end. Made two as the first one I made before, when I could not tell if it was a clip or flat surface with a couple lines.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	torch%u00252Bangle.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	669.9 KB 
ID:	675507

you can see afew small differences. the right one is the one Im thinking is more correct.
    starting at the top, both 100mm long/20mm dia.
    end cap - left one flat edge - right one clip with hole 1mm longer. I think thats what I see.
    main body - left beveled edge at top - right one 2mm shorter, and rounded top edge.
    end cap - right one 1mm longer.

Name:	front%u00252Bview%u00252B-%u00252BCopy.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	357.1 KB 
ID:	675508

If there are any suggestions pour them on. at the end of the day I will make suggested changes and share the files for printing, and print one myself to see how it looks.

looking at the poster I already think the clip should be a few mm longer or lower to the cylinder (currently 1mm space).
    Last edited by canister; Oct 21, 2016 at 3:18 PM. Reason: lenght of clip
    Oct 21, 2016, 4:10 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #129

Sheeple or anyone could I please get the a couple of dimensions from the helmet. Just planning out the lay of the fabric cover, Im after the lenght from the top vent straight down to the rim/lip of helmet and then from the center front around to the side right angles to the middle of the top vent. Pic below

Name:	dimension vent.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	228.6 KB 
ID:	675529
    From
    Cincinnati, OH
    Oct 21, 2016, 4:17 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #130

canister said: View Post
    So I agree with the torch ideas, the clip looks like the go.

here are some renders that I've made up, Thain looks like you have it sorted too.
    I beveled the edge of the 13 rounds on the cylinder and made the front end beveled with a lip for torch like end. Made two as the first one I made before, when I could not tell if it was a clip or flat surface with a couple lines.

Name:	torch%u00252Bangle.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	669.9 KB 
ID:	675507

you can see afew small differences. the right one is the one Im thinking is more correct.
    starting at the top, both 100mm long/20mm dia.
    end cap - left one flat edge - right one clip with hole 1mm longer. I think thats what I see.
    main body - left beveled edge at top - right one 2mm shorter, and rounded top edge.
    end cap - right one 1mm longer.

Name:	front%u00252Bview%u00252B-%u00252BCopy.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	357.1 KB 
ID:	675508

If there are any suggestions pour them on. at the end of the day I will make suggested changes and share the files for printing, and print one myself to see how it looks.

looking at the poster I already think the clip should be a few mm longer or lower to the cylinder (currently 1mm space).
    Woah, great job on the render! Way better than mine haha
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Oct 21, 2016, 5:46 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #131

The correct version of the M1 helmet is the Vietnam era style, lower profile helmet. Hope this is helpful.

If your looking for the Correct version here are the things to look for;

Curve of the Helmet, left is the 1970's M1, right is the WW2 version.

The seam around the bottom of the helmet is joined at the back, If you find one with the seam at the front its a WW2 version.

Your straps may vary and could have been repaired with a plastic rim for the strapping to fit to the inner helmet, its your choice to decide how authentic you want your build to be. here is an original inner with original strapping.
    Close up of the strap and screen shot of the trailer helmet.

thank you for sharing how to tell the difference. i dont think ill be able to head out this weekend because of work, so next weekend I'm going to take the hike and check out the military surplus a few towns over see if i can't find one

btw guys all these 3d renders look amazing!!!
    From
    Salt Lake City
    Oct 22, 2016, 12:58 AM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #132

Sheeple or anyone could I please get the a couple of dimensions from the helmet. Just planning out the lay of the fabric cover, Im after the lenght from the top vent straight down to the rim/lip of helmet and then from the center front around to the side right angles to the middle of the top vent. Pic below

Name:	dimension vent.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	228.6 KB 
ID:	675529
    My fabric cover is a bit different than that one, but the measurements you're looking for are around 5.5" for the height and 6.5" length. Hope this helps!
    Oct 22, 2016, 3:43 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #133

Thanks Sheeple

Just started printing the right model made some adjustments to the front in the pic below you can see the inside lip and reflector part of torch. I have made the internals big enough to fit a AA battery and a 15mm reflector (OD) with the option of two end caps one with a hole for a tac switch and one thats flat.

Name:	Torch23-10.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	675818Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frontHelmetMeasurements.png 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	675822

once the two parts are printed I will take some snaps and post, and send files to Elr02 so he can print too.
    Last edited by canister; Oct 22, 2016 at 3:44 PM. Reason: thanks
    From
    South Carolina
    Oct 22, 2016, 4:21 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #134

@canister sounds good. Then I'll print with probably 100 microns and primer-bondo the whole thing to make it smooth. Then it goes to halliwax for casting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. RPF Premium Member canister's Avatar
    Oct 22, 2016, 6:01 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #135

Printed for your inspection, you can see this could work as a real tourch. I have not wired it just slid in a 15mm reflector and led then pulled the rubber on off cap from a $2.50 torch.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sideview.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	675849   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	top.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	675850  
  11. RPF Premium Member canister's Avatar
    Oct 22, 2016, 6:26 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #136

Printed for your inspection, you can see this could work as a real tourch. I have not wired it just slid in a 15mm reflector and led then pulled the rubber on off cap from a $2.50 torch.

ID:	675849Click image for larger version. 

I will post some more pics once its sanded, primed and painted. I will be a bit easier to see then rather than all white. Also how do you delete a post. double posted.
    Last edited by canister; Oct 22, 2016 at 6:54 PM.
    From
    Cincinnati, OH
    Oct 22, 2016, 6:37 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #137

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-9HkYYnaR7.../s1600/end.jpgClick image for larger version. 

ID:	675849https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-F6wOhDfDt...1600/front.jpgClick image for larger version. 

I will post some more pics once its sanded, primed and painted. I will be a bit easier to see then rather than all white.
    Awesome! Looks great, and I love that you've made it a functional piece. Great to see a prototype on a real bucket...this project is coming together!
  13. RPF Premium Member canister's Avatar
    Oct 23, 2016, 5:01 AM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #138

So box on the side of helmet, looks like there are 2 types. One with a rounded rectangular cut out and one plane. worked out it has a clear bevel o the edge 3mm ish and dimentsions are 50x75x15mm. Printing the plain one now and will print the one with the hole in it tomorrow and post for you guys once done.

Name:	box2.jpg.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	675956Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R1helmet.png 
Size:	177.6 KB 
ID:	675957Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rogue one helmetonly.jpg 
Views:	898 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	675958

on a side note do you guys think cutting a bike inner tube up to stretch around the helmet would work? That could be an easy option to get that part, Going to be pretty hard to get hold of the band from the missile's that got mentioned earlier.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Oct 23, 2016, 11:40 AM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #139

The torch came out amazing!!!
    From
    South Carolina
    Oct 23, 2016, 11:52 AM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #140

halliwax said: View Post
    The torch came out amazing!!!
    I second that. I can't wait to see how it comes out on mine later this week

16. RPF Premium Member canister's Avatar
    Oct 24, 2016, 1:59 AM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #141

Hope you guys are pumped!
    A little SBS paint guide for the torch.

sanded all the high points off the plastic and primed it. Added some test pot paint to the cracks to fill up some of the harder to get print lines. You wont have to do this because the cast will be smooth already.

After another round primer and sanding with 250-400 grit looking much better. Once I was happy that it was super smooth I painting it matt black, this gives a good base to the boltgun metal I used.

Bolt gun metal.

After that I used a bit of mayonaise and a size 1 brush. Using the tip to brush on some streaks so they looked like scratches, normally you would use some masking fluid but applying masking fluid with out letting the previous layer of paint dry off hard (over night) usually results in peeling off the layer under with the fluid. So mayo creates an oil barrier between the paint layers and you can wipe it off with a damp cloth once the top coat is dry in my case 5 mins.

Weathering I used some stone wash, dark sepia and some brown ink (watered down), I also used a brush and carfully edge highlighted some of the scratches with some crome paint to make it look like fresh knocks.

Test look beside the box thats just come off the printer and the helmet.

How do you think the torch is attached to the helmet? maybe a clip that comes down off the armor?
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Oct 24, 2016, 7:22 AM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #142

it looks awesome!!!

18. RPF Premium Member NeoRutty's Avatar
    From
    Vancouver, BC. Canada
    Oct 24, 2016, 11:12 AM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #143

This is a great build btw... glad I'm following and taking part...

Before we get toooo far ahead of ourselves, shouldn't we leave a little breathing room for the onslaught of reference we'll be getting in the next two months. I'm sure Disney will display this helmet somewhere we can get crips clean pics of parts...

And then I'm sure there's a book coming out with all the parts broken down...

I guess it's all about upgrading later...
  19. RPF Premium Member canister's Avatar
    Oct 24, 2016, 1:55 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #144

@NeoRutty totally agree

yeah I tried to see if I could find any more pics of the helmet from any source, think the books come out 16 dec. I hope there will be more pics in the next few months because its an awesome looking helmet.

http://www.howmanydaysuntilstarwars.com/

Im trying to get things made up for prototyping so people can comment on size and details, Im away next week. As of now if your wanting to wear/take your helmet to the movie there are 51 days to get it done. It will dissapear fast with all the steps we need to do to get interested people sorted with the items they need to turn their helmets into rebel buckets.

what else need to be done?
    prototype 3d prints
    pattern for Helmet cover - Alex/Me?
    Printing from Elr0
    Prep for casting
    casting X amount items from Halliwax
    sewing X amount of covers - Alex?
    Sending them out to interested parties
    painting them up

Who is interested in actually having an accurate as possible helmet for the release?

For those who are keen to stick around after R1 we can contine to develope the helmet details as more info comes forth.
    Last edited by canister; Oct 24, 2016 at 4:27 PM.
    From
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Oct 24, 2016, 5:01 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #145

I am in to put one together. This is a great build thread.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Oct 24, 2016, 8:19 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #146

I was finally able to see the to ch on my iPad. I was stuck with my little phone screen until now. That torch is awesome!! I love it!
    From
    Manteca, CA
    Oct 25, 2016, 11:35 AM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #147

Who is interested in actually having an accurate as possible helmet for the release?

For those who are keen to stick around after R1 we can contine to develope the helmet details as more info comes forth.
    I'm interested in a helmet I don't need one before the release, just curious as to what it might cost
  23. RPF Premium Member canister's Avatar
    Oct 25, 2016, 1:57 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #148

I think the main cost is going to be with Halliwax and Alex (casting and fabric + sewing), Im guessing we wont know too much about that until they have something to cast/sew.

Hi guys just started playing around with a pattern for the cover, Thanks Sheeple for those measurements.
    Front view was pretty handy gave me a good indication of width and you can see its got the seam and a stitch down also. Im guessing the baffles or what ever they are called start just before the armor. After having a look at the endor rebel helmet builds Rebel Legion. I figured I could have a play to see how they look.

Views:	65 
ID:	676809Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fabric layout.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	676810Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test piece 2.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	676811Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test piece.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	676812

There's going to be a long strip for the center every baffle is double the top width 15mm (30mm total). other than that getting the cover to sit nice means getting the side pannels cut at the right angle. I have noticed that I will need to cut a hole for the buckle/strap. Anyone with a real cover could you take a pic of how that part is done please and I will intergrate it.
    Last edited by canister; Oct 25, 2016 at 2:13 PM.
  24. RPF Premium Member PropReplicator2's Avatar
    From
    Abilene,TX
    Oct 25, 2016, 6:14 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #149

I think the main cost is going to be with Halliwax and Alex (casting and fabric + sewing), Im guessing we wont know too much about that until they have something to cast/sew.

Hi guys just started playing around with a pattern for the cover, Thanks Sheeple for those measurements.
    Front view was pretty handy gave me a good indication of width and you can see its got the seam and a stitch down also. Im guessing the baffles or what ever they are called start just before the armor. After having a look at the endor rebel helmet builds Rebel Legion. I figured I could have a play to see how they look.

There's going to be a long strip for the center every baffle is double the top width 15mm (30mm total). other than that getting the cover to sit nice means getting the side pannels cut at the right angle. I have noticed that I will need to cut a hole for the buckle/strap. Anyone with a real cover could you take a pic of how that part is done please and I will intergrate it.
    Nice job so far! And as of now I'm looking at using tan suede for the fabric cover. Looking like the best option for fabric right now.

Alex
    From
    Salt Lake City
    Oct 25, 2016, 6:19 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #150

No problem! And here's some detailed images of my helmet cover that hopefully will help with the strap.

Name:	IMG_0036.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	676896 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0037.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	676899

The helmet comes in two pieces, the steel bucket and an inner kevlar bucket which has all the harnessing in it.

Name:	IMG_0038.JPG 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	676897Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0039.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	676898

The kevar bucket pulls out fairly easily to reveal how the cover lays inside the helmet and around the buckle.