Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member Thain's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2013
    From
    Cincinnati, OH
    Messages
    410
    Oct 20, 2016, 6:29 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #101

    Wow, the teamwork going on here is making me smile big time. Love seeing the passion for this helmet!

    Canister, I can model the flashlight/torch if you want. My 3D modeling skills and time are very limited, but I can definitely handle that amidst my schoolwork!

    - - - Updated - - -

    halliwax said: View Post
    ...the biker helmet. or bike ring shield, we really need a official name for this piece lol.
    I agree! I'm down for calling it the "dome shield" that you called it a page or 2 back.
  2. halliwax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Messages
    8,411
    Oct 20, 2016, 6:45 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #102

    canister said: View Post
    It would still need to be 2 parts with the fabric between. A lighter than the steel outer would be great for Cons and stuff.
    i have worked with fiberglass before. I've made my own fenders, hoods etc for my race truck. and my dad has made his own fenders for his cobra. it takes a few dollars to setup a mold. i am finding real M1's on eBay for 25 bucks. i believe fiberglass resin, and fiberglass cloth would cost more then that for 1 helmet. i would have to double check but the glass i used for my fenders was stupid money... it was also the lightest stuff on the market to reduce weight.

    I'm looking at the russian poster now, i have an idea on how to cast it with the least amount of waste possible.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Thain said: View Post
    Wow, the teamwork going on here is making me smile big time. Love seeing the passion for this helmet!

    Canister, I can model the flashlight/torch if you want. My 3D modeling skills and time are very limited, but I can definitely handle that amidst my schoolwork!

    - - - Updated - - -



    I agree! I'm down for calling it the "dome shield" that you called it a page or 2 back.
    i love how everyone is coming together for this!! if we can pull this off it would be epic!
  3. RPF Premium Member canister's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2016
    Messages
    329
    Oct 20, 2016, 7:01 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #103

    Its going to be epic the team work, I think we can pull this off. International colaboration ftw!

    Right I will try model it and print some test pieces, once its good I will send the files to elr02k also, so we can print afew to speed up the casting. This will be better as I live in New Zealand and sending a printed piece would take ages and cost more. (when is the movie out?)

    what about resin Halliwax, is that cheaper.

    Cool Thain that sounds good I will moc one up to get the dimensions as close to what I Think is right.

    Cool its raining here today and Im a Carpenter so going to finish early and get to the surplus shot this avo. I know what Im doing this weekend hahahaha
  4. BobZurunkle's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2016
    From
    Vancouver, BC
    Messages
    16
    Oct 20, 2016, 7:11 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #104

    I would be more than happy to buy the "dome piece" and the cover if those two pieces would become available, I have a couple of M1s to use up.
  5. elr02k's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2016
    From
    South Carolina
    Messages
    342
    Oct 20, 2016, 7:11 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #105

    @alexmiller1 @halliwax @canister

    Alright so we need to make sure we all have the right helmets first off. Then make the files, send them to me for printing. Halliwax you live in the US right? That'll make shipping the pieces a breeze. Alexmiller1 can make the fabric and we can ship that with the cast. If we are doing a complete kit we'll have to figure out the box, the light and the straps


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. RPF Premium Member PropReplicator2's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    From
    Abilene,TX
    Messages
    1,513
    Oct 20, 2016, 7:20 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #106

    elr02k said: View Post
    @alexmiller1 @halliwax @canister

    Alright so we need to make sure we all have the right helmets first off. Then make the files, send them to me for printing. Halliwax you live in the US right? That'll make shipping the pieces a breeze. Alexmiller1 can make the fabric and we can ship that with the cast. If we are doing a complete kit we'll have to figure out the box, the light and the straps


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    Alex
  7. RPF Premium Member canister's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2016
    Messages
    329
    Oct 20, 2016, 7:41 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #107

    Just sent this off to my sister who works at a big print shop, I know I will either use a sticker cut out for a stencil or if Im pushed for time near the end I will use the sticker part. How much interest is there if I have more than afew made up. alternativly I can send the pic to any one who wants to make them in the states. If there is enough interest I will upgrade my account so I can list a them.
    Attachment 675206
    Happy days.
  8. RPF Premium Member NeoRutty's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2013
    From
    Vancouver, BC. Canada
    Messages
    3,865
    Oct 20, 2016, 8:01 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #108

    canister said: View Post
    Just sent this off to my sister who works at a big print shop, I know I will either use a sticker cut out for a stencil or if Im pushed for time near the end I will use the sticker part. How much interest is there if I have more than afew made up. alternativly I can send the pic to any one who wants to make them in the states. If there is enough interest I will upgrade my account so I can list a them.
    Attachment 675206
    Happy days.
    attachment didn't work....
  9. halliwax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Messages
    8,411
    Oct 20, 2016, 8:10 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #109

    i just did a stock list, a lot more then i thought. smooth on really went up on their prices from 10 years ago.
  10. elr02k's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2016
    From
    South Carolina
    Messages
    342
    Oct 20, 2016, 11:05 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #110

    halliwax said: View Post
    i just did a stock list, a lot more then i thought. smooth on really went up on their prices from 10 years ago.
    Is that something to do with the casts?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. RPF Premium Member PropReplicator2's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    From
    Abilene,TX
    Messages
    1,513
    Oct 20, 2016, 11:06 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #111

    elr02k said: View Post
    Is that something to do with the casts?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes. As far as I remember smooth on is the silicone used to make the mold so you can make casts of an object. Then again I may be wrong:/

    Alex
  12. halliwax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Messages
    8,411
    Oct 20, 2016, 11:07 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #112

    no, i just haven't done this in such a long time i can't believe how much the stuff has gone up.

    i have been looking at the russian poster all day today. it appears to me the dome shield is in 2 pieces... looks like the front part is bolted to the back

    when it comes to casting it would be cheaper and easier if it really was 2 pieces

    it sure looks like it to me now we have 2 pieces, a front and rear.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. halliwax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Messages
    8,411
    Oct 20, 2016, 11:09 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #113

    canister said: View Post
    Just sent this off to my sister who works at a big print shop, I know I will either use a sticker cut out for a stencil or if Im pushed for time near the end I will use the sticker part. How much interest is there if I have more than afew made up. alternativly I can send the pic to any one who wants to make them in the states. If there is enough interest I will upgrade my account so I can list a them.
    Attachment 675206
    Happy days.
    picture isn't working, if u need a host i can host it


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. elr02k's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2016
    From
    South Carolina
    Messages
    342
    Oct 20, 2016, 11:09 PM - Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #114

    halliwax said: View Post
    no, i just haven't done this in such a long time i can't believe how much the stuff has gone up.

    i have been looking at the russian poster all day today. it appears to me the dome shield is in 2 pieces... looks like the front part is bolted to the back

    when it comes to casting it would be cheaper and easier if it really was 2 pieces

    it sure looks like it to me now we have 2 pieces, a front and rear.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That shouldn't be so bad to print. I will already have to split the model into pieces to get it to print, then glue and epoxy the connections. Bonding putty works well to smooth the creases as well


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. halliwax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Messages
    8,411
    Oct 20, 2016, 11:14 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #115

    i retract my statement about it being in 2 pieces. further examination of the pictures in the bigger of the thread prove me wrong

    it appears there is a bolt or bump, like the head of a screw sticking out. not all the helmets have it. i think we will see many variants of this dome shield


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. halliwax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Messages
    8,411
    Oct 20, 2016, 11:16 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #116

    elr02k said: View Post
    That shouldn't be so bad to print. I will already have to split the model into pieces to get it to print, then glue and epoxy the connections. Bonding putty works well to smooth the creases as well


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    have u seen my darksaber build? i'm use to sanding and filling 3d prints now lol

    what a headache!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. RPF Premium Member Thain's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2013
    From
    Cincinnati, OH
    Messages
    410
    Oct 20, 2016, 11:19 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #117

    Are we planning on making the flashlight operational?
  18. elr02k's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2016
    From
    South Carolina
    Messages
    342
    Oct 20, 2016, 11:20 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #118

    halliwax said: View Post
    have u seen my darksaber build? i'm use to sanding and filling 3d prints now lol

    what a headache!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Isn't it? Did one for an arc reactor for a buddy of mine. What a pain that was


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. halliwax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Messages
    8,411
    Oct 20, 2016, 11:21 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #119

    elr02k said: View Post
    Isn't it? Did one for an arc reactor for a buddy of mine. What a pain that was


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    when u think you have the lines filled.. more show up!! i'm off for tonight my
    mind is racing a mile a minute trying to dig up more on this helmet. i'll catch up with u all tomorrow

    have a good night


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. elr02k's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2016
    From
    South Carolina
    Messages
    342
    Oct 20, 2016, 11:23 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #120

    halliwax said: View Post
    when u think you have the lines filled.. more show up!! i'm off for tonight my
    mind is racing a mile a minute trying to dig up more on this helmet. i'll catch up with u all tomorrow

    have a good night


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You too. Have good dreams of ridding the galaxy of tyranny


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  21. RPF Premium Member canister's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2016
    Messages
    329
    Oct 20, 2016, 11:37 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #121

    Just got home kids going crazy, will post a bigger write up after they are in bed. here is what I sent my sister.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rogue%u00252Bone%u00252Blogo.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	667.6 KB 
ID:	675263
  22. Moreorless37's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2016
    Messages
    66
    Oct 21, 2016, 12:05 AM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #122

    what is the consensus on the color of the... uh... dome shield thingy? I keep flip flopping on what I think I see
  23. RPF Premium Member Thain's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2013
    From
    Cincinnati, OH
    Messages
    410
    Oct 21, 2016, 12:09 AM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #123

    Put together a rough mock-up of the flashlight in Tinkercad.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 1.00.10 AM.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	708.3 KB 
ID:	675279
    Everything is really straightforward until you get to the end section...not too sure what's going on there. It looks to me that it might be a clip of some sort? Or maybe a switch? What are you guys thinking?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 1.05.00 AM.png 
Views:	92 
Size:	812.7 KB 
ID:	675280
    Overall it appears that it is only one this one spot and doesn't repeat on the other side.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Moreorless37 said: View Post
    what is the consensus on the color of the... uh... dome shield thingy? I keep flip flopping on what I think I see
    Yeah it's hard to tell. I'm convinced it's a dark gray. There are lots of shots that prove it's not as dark as black.
  24. BobZurunkle's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2016
    From
    Vancouver, BC
    Messages
    16
    Oct 21, 2016, 12:07 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #124

    I've been trying to figure out the chinstrap. To me it looks like the studio used varying chinstraps, but the predominant one in the screen shots appear to be the 1960s T1 chinstrap. If the strap is the T1 there would be no trouble in sourcing those.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 1.56.33 PM.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	177.6 KB 
ID:	675434Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-12-18_220706.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	675435Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l300.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	6.6 KB 
ID:	675436
  25. halliwax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Messages
    8,411
    Oct 21, 2016, 1:27 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #125

    Thain said: View Post
    Put together a rough mock-up of the flashlight in Tinkercad.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 1.00.10 AM.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	708.3 KB 
ID:	675279
    Everything is really straightforward until you get to the end section...not too sure what's going on there. It looks to me that it might be a clip of some sort? Or maybe a switch? What are you guys thinking?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 1.05.00 AM.png 
Views:	92 
Size:	812.7 KB 
ID:	675280
    Overall it appears that it is only one this one spot and doesn't repeat on the other side.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Yeah it's hard to tell. I'm convinced it's a dark gray. There are lots of shots that prove it's not as dark as black.
    i agree i see a clip as well.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Finished my Rogue One Shoretrooper helmet and my Tie Pilot helmet
    streetjudge79, Star Wars Costumes and Props
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Jan 1, 2017, 1:12 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: Jun 3, 2016, 2:44 AM
  3. Any idea what this Rebel Soldier is holding?
    almar bouwman, Replica Props
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Dec 6, 2010, 6:38 PM
  4. Endor Rebel Soldier - Costume Tutorial - Now LIVE!
    StudioCreations, Replica Costumes
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: Feb 24, 2006, 7:46 PM

Tags