Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet

And canister I would love if you had it in maybe 3 parts for an easier print. halliwax do you have preferences on PLA or ABS? Does it affect the casting?

Last edited by a moderator:
halliwax I can work on it. It might just be faster to blow up a ballon squash it into the helmet and cast arond that then you have your lip and stuff. Im my head with out going crazy on detail I would put the armor on a clay base ballon inside and put your joint in(for 2part mould) paint with silicon, how ever many coats then coat in fiberglass/plastic and bingo.

Im really extending my skill with this helmet, Although the pics look fairly accurate I dont want to risk spending all this time and other peoples money to have something that is crap. I have not done anything like this before, my new plan is to;
download 123catch (take a bunch of pics of a RL object and the software turns it into a 3d object), So take a bunch of pics of my M1 helmet then use the 3d helmet.
Go to fusion 360 and make a 10mm thick outer with maybe 5mm clearance and cut it to shape. (still wanting better pics of the back of the helmet)
elr02k Whats your print bed size? I can just cut it to fit, seperating it into quarters or more if needed. Mine is about 125mm. Duno about the filament used? I use pla has minimal shrinkage and is fairly easy to get a good finish. You might want to grab some Resin filler like XTC 3d or the like.

Hope all is well.

99% of balloons are made out of latex. Latex inhibits silicone. It's also highly likely that it will deform or pop in the mold making process.

Sorry to hear about your finger, Halliwax.
What website are you using? Smooth-on or its distributor Reynold's Advanced Materials are good places to look. The mold could be made out of Mold Max instead of Rebound to reduce costs. The jacket can be done in fiberglass only, again, to reduce costs. A 5 pound tub of Monster Clay is $20 or so, which would be much cheaper than printing a dome.

Out of curiosity, what exactly is your arrangement? If you are unable to work on this project, I would be glad to step in, finish, mold, and cast these helmets if there is a desire for them. I could even offer paint and finishing for the part.

While your set up may be estimated by you close to $500, seeing as I have been doing this for a decade my costs would be much, much, lower. Only the costs of the materials, no "setup" costs. Something to think about, is all.

99% of balloons are made out of latex. Latex inhibits silicone. It's also highly likely that it will deform or pop in the mold making process.

What website are you using? Smooth-on or its distributor Reynold's Advanced Materials are good places to look. The mold could be made out of Mold Max instead of Rebound to reduce costs. The jacket can be done in fiberglass only, again, to reduce costs. A 5 pound tub of Monster Clay is $20 or so, which would be much cheaper than printing a dome.

Out of curiosity, what exactly is your arrangement? If you are unable to work on this project, I would be glad to step in, finish, mold, and cast these helmets if there is a desire for them. I could even offer paint and finishing for the part.

While your set up may be estimated by you close to $500, seeing as I have been doing this for a decade my costs would be much, much, lower. Only the costs of the materials, no "setup" costs. Something to think about, is all.
Seen some of your work by the way Mr. Mold Maker... Most impressive.

Alex

hey bud, though i would love to finally contribute to this site. right now i am in no so good shape... i guess i have a very bad infection now under the nail... im going tomorrow to have the nail removed. i would have never thought it would get to this point.... over something so stupid

if you willing to jump in and do this it would be great. i for one dont have much experience with casting, i did it many years ago. this would be my first helmet you could say. i was hoping to pull this off with the first mold. but most likely it probably wouldnt be perfect the first time around so i would have to do another

if your willing to help us all out your not stepping on my toes at all, if there was anyway i could help further the process i would love to but as of right now, i dont know how long my right hand is going to have this damn metal brace.... i cant even swing a hammer right now and being a carpenter thats kinda tough lol...

if you do decide to take over, would you be willing to share some pictures of how you made the mold? i have been thinking about this for weeks trying to come up with the perfect plan. i would love to see how you have done it

halliwax Sure. It would just be a simple matrix mold, but I'd be happy to share photos because it's an RPF project. My personal projects I usually keep under wraps.

Whoever is the main person coordinating this, feel free to PM me so we can go over the details and get this ball rolling if desired. I can't promise a release before the premier as I don't know who is doing what, or the general timelines involved, but I'd be happy to give it my all for you folks.

New trailer, new shots of the helmet! Finally a clear look at the details on the back...should be helpful:
Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 4.54.27 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-10 at 4.54.37 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-10 at 4.55.51 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-10 at 4.54.47 PM.png

@halliwax Sure. It would just be a simple matrix mold, but I'd be happy to share photos because it's an RPF project. My personal projects I usually keep under wraps.

Whoever is the main person coordinating this, feel free to PM me so we can go over the details and get this ball rolling if desired. I can't promise a release before the premier as I don't know who is doing what, or the general timelines involved, but I'd be happy to give it my all for you folks.

if you dont feel comfortable posting publicly if you wouldnt mind showing me in PM i would love to see what you come up with, thank you

Legend Thain
I know what I will be doing this weekend, you can just make out the back of the helmet :D :D:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Looking back I dont think its quite as rounded at the back. more filleted angles. I will just do a mirror for the other side, Hey Im at work at the mo are there any more angles of the holes on the otherside?

I know it dose not seem like much but Im sure you understand the importance, After working on it Im ready to export it to 360. I have it scaled to about .4mm percision, still a few bumps and what not that are not on the helmet but its good enough. To scale it I took a bunch of measurements from the scratch marks to scratch marks and side to side to ensure its scaled, Next is building an over lay that I can cut out the shape of the armor.
M1Mk3.png
Im just So excited it worked, this was my second attempt the first was not so good had holes and weird stuff going on.

Back to Design of the holes on the right side of the helmet(if you'er wearing it) re lego man and card. I see 4 small vertical rectangles on top and one hole the same size as front holes but with the middle filled in so you only get each side of the rounds. Im not sure if all the helmets have all the holes/vents? Looking Thain's pics on page 10 you can definatly see them and they are quite small on the top, and on one there are more than one lower hole. For the time being I will plan on making 5 holes (4 top and 1 at the bottom split).
attachment.php

cardhelmet.jpg

Sleep well. I know I will be planning in my sleep dam it.

Attachments

• M1Mk3.png
    M1Mk3.png
    476.6 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Progress, I have the main shape done, possibly some tweaking later. I will continue tonight, I have my sisters birthday and I need do some house chores before we go.
Rebel Helmet M1Mk2 armor1.pngRebel Helmet M1Mk2 Armor2.pngRebel Helmet M1Mk2 armor3.pngRebel Helmet M1Mk2 armor4.png
Still a bit of editing to get the holes and back piece. I feel much better about this version. I plan on giving the armor a 2mm buffer between helmet and armor.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back