Subscribe
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Nov 8, 2016, 12:26 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #251

alexmiller1 said: View Post
    Im here with yah man! Bout to spend more time than money on my side of the project though. Im hand sewing everyones fabric helmet cover due to not owning a sewing machine. Im in this project to say i did rather than to make a profit.

Here if you need me!

Alex
    the website i used for ordering the silicone, resin, mother mold material, tint and hardener may be a expensive site? all the youtube videos i've watched recommend the site, maybe there is another way of purchasing the materials? i'll have to wait and hear back

if there is a cheaper route i'm all for it, as long as it's the same brand name material

what i love about this site is the community, and how you can learn something new every day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. RPF Premium Member PropReplicator2's Avatar
    From
    Abilene,TX
    Nov 8, 2016, 12:28 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #252

halliwax said: View Post
    the website i used for ordering the silicone, resin, mother mold material, tint and hardener may be a expensive site? all the youtube videos i've watched recommend the site, maybe there is another way of purchasing the materials? i'll have to wait and hear back

if there is a cheaper route i'm all for it, as long as it's the same brand name material

what i love about this site is the community, and how you can learn something new every day!

Ill look at prices here in abilene and PM you later. I might be able to get it all to you cheaper.

Alex
    Nov 8, 2016, 12:32 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #253

i was looking at silicone it's 200 bucks just for the silicone, the resin isn't far behind that, then i have to buy stuff for the mother mold. i have 500 bucks easy in making this setup

like i've said i'm trying to do this small run for all of us at cost. i do not want to make any profit off this keeping it the least expensive really helps me because i'm fronting the bill for all the materials

if you would be willing to hold my hand through this i would be eternally grateful.

again this would be my largest mold i ever made. i've all done small proton pack greeblies parts before

edit: i was thinking of using a plastic bowl and cutting it up to use as a plug for the dome shield. what do u think of that

I'd be fine with making a down payment or full pre-payment to help cover setup costs if you opened up an interest thread in the junkyard. I'm very interested in getting one before the film premieres so if pre-paying helps move that along, I'm all for it.
    I mean, I don't have any skills to offer but I can help ease the financial burden. I'm sure others would, too.
    Nov 8, 2016, 2:40 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #254

Phew I hope they have some good pics of the Helmet on the star wars show and disney thing this week then! I really hope I can sort out the armor to an accurate level and check a test print and send it to Elr02 in time for Halli to cast we might get a few out!

Last edited by canister; Nov 8, 2016 at 2:52 PM.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Nov 9, 2016, 12:14 AM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #255

honestly guys i would love to pump these suckers out before the premier but theres no way possible now for me to do this. i broke my finger on my right hand, its been out of the splint just a few days. im going to have to go back for X-rays thursday.. i may have something wrong with a ligament... as of today i still have pins and needles in it... , i and not to be graphic, i hit my finger on my coffee table yesterday. with out the aluminum split protecting it it broke the skin and black blood gushed out of it.. the smell was nasty.. these new X-rays i guess are going to see if the bone is infected.. idk really whats going on anymore

i was told a 2 week recovery from the emergency room, now its looking a little bit more seriously then a little booboo..

i still plan on doing this dome shields, i just dont think theres any way for me to do this before dec 16th
    From
    Cincinnati, OH
    Nov 9, 2016, 1:30 AM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #256

honestly guys i would love to pump these suckers out before the premier but theres no way possible now for me to do this. i broke my finger on my right hand, its been out of the splint just a few days. im going to have to go back for X-rays thursday.. i may have something wrong with a ligament... as of today i still have pins and needles in it... , i and not to be graphic, i hit my finger on my coffee table yesterday. with out the aluminum split protecting it it broke the skin and black blood gushed out of it.. the smell was nasty.. these new X-rays i guess are going to see if the bone is infected.. idk really whats going on anymore

i was told a 2 week recovery from the emergency room, now its looking a little bit more seriously then a little booboo..

i still plan on doing this dome shields, i just dont think theres any way for me to do this before dec 16th
    Yikes, that doesn't sound fun. I hope you get better soon!
    Nov 9, 2016, 3:47 AM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #257

@Halliax Owwwww that sounding terrible, I hope every thing goes as well as it can. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
  8. RPF Premium Member PropReplicator2's Avatar
    From
    Abilene,TX
    Nov 9, 2016, 7:58 AM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #258

@halliwax Hope you recover soon!!

Alex

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk
    From
    somewhere in Luxembourg
    Nov 9, 2016, 8:17 AM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #259

Ouch, damn, right hand no less. Speedy recovery!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Nov 9, 2016, 12:51 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #260

thanks guys, it's easier for me to type on my phone but sucks to see lol damned if i do damned if i don't...

canister, when u design the dome shield is there any way possible to make it a complete some top? maybe leave a recess about the lip of the dome shield so it makes a easy to follow cutting line?

if it was a complete dome, or had a flat top to it it would be a lot easier for me to cast, but a lot harder for you to print

From
    South Carolina
    Nov 9, 2016, 1:11 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #261

And @canister I would love if you had it in maybe 3 parts for an easier print. @halliwax do you have preferences on PLA or ABS? Does it affect the casting?
  12. RPF Premium Member canister's Avatar
    Nov 9, 2016, 1:48 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #262

@halliwax I can work on it. It might just be faster to blow up a ballon squash it into the helmet and cast arond that then you have your lip and stuff. Im my head with out going crazy on detail I would put the armor on a clay base ballon inside and put your joint in(for 2part mould) paint with silicon, how ever many coats then coat in fiberglass/plastic and bingo.

Im really extending my skill with this helmet, Although the pics look fairly accurate I dont want to risk spending all this time and other peoples money to have something that is crap. I have not done anything like this before, my new plan is to;
    download 123catch (take a bunch of pics of a RL object and the software turns it into a 3d object), So take a bunch of pics of my M1 helmet then use the 3d helmet.
    Go to fusion 360 and make a 10mm thick outer with maybe 5mm clearance and cut it to shape. (still wanting better pics of the back of the helmet)
    @elr02k Whats your print bed size? I can just cut it to fit, seperating it into quarters or more if needed. Mine is about 125mm. Duno about the filament used? I use pla has minimal shrinkage and is fairly easy to get a good finish. You might want to grab some Resin filler like XTC 3d or the like.

Hope all is well.
    From
    L.A.
    Nov 9, 2016, 2:36 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #263

99% of balloons are made out of latex. Latex inhibits silicone. It's also highly likely that it will deform or pop in the mold making process.

Sorry to hear about your finger, Halliwax.
    What website are you using? Smooth-on or its distributor Reynold's Advanced Materials are good places to look. The mold could be made out of Mold Max instead of Rebound to reduce costs. The jacket can be done in fiberglass only, again, to reduce costs. A 5 pound tub of Monster Clay is $20 or so, which would be much cheaper than printing a dome.

Out of curiosity, what exactly is your arrangement? If you are unable to work on this project, I would be glad to step in, finish, mold, and cast these helmets if there is a desire for them. I could even offer paint and finishing for the part.

While your set up may be estimated by you close to $500, seeing as I have been doing this for a decade my costs would be much, much, lower. Only the costs of the materials, no "setup" costs. Something to think about, is all.
  14. RPF Premium Member PropReplicator2's Avatar
    From
    Abilene,TX
    Nov 9, 2016, 2:39 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #264

Mr Mold Maker said: View Post
    99% of balloons are made out of latex. Latex inhibits silicone. It's also highly likely that it will deform or pop in the mold making process.

What website are you using? Smooth-on or its distributor Reynold's Advanced Materials are good places to look. The mold could be made out of Mold Max instead of Rebound to reduce costs. The jacket can be done in fiberglass only, again, to reduce costs. A 5 pound tub of Monster Clay is $20 or so, which would be much cheaper than printing a dome.

Out of curiosity, what exactly is your arrangement? If you are unable to work on this project, I would be glad to step in, finish, mold, and cast these helmets if there is a desire for them. I could even offer paint and finishing for the part.

While your set up may be estimated by you close to $500, seeing as I have been doing this for a decade my costs would be much, much, lower. Only the costs of the materials, no "setup" costs. Something to think about, is all.
    Seen some of your work by the way Mr. Mold Maker... Most impressive.

Alex
    From
    L.A.
    Nov 9, 2016, 2:46 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #265

alexmiller1 said: View Post
    Seen some of your work by the way Mr. Mold Maker... Most impressive.

Alex
    Thank you Alex.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Nov 9, 2016, 9:06 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #266

hey bud, though i would love to finally contribute to this site. right now i am in no so good shape... i guess i have a very bad infection now under the nail... im going tomorrow to have the nail removed. i would have never thought it would get to this point.... over something so stupid

if you willing to jump in and do this it would be great. i for one dont have much experience with casting, i did it many years ago. this would be my first helmet you could say. i was hoping to pull this off with the first mold. but most likely it probably wouldnt be perfect the first time around so i would have to do another

if your willing to help us all out your not stepping on my toes at all, if there was anyway i could help further the process i would love to but as of right now, i dont know how long my right hand is going to have this damn metal brace.... i cant even swing a hammer right now and being a carpenter thats kinda tough lol...

if you do decide to take over, would you be willing to share some pictures of how you made the mold? i have been thinking about this for weeks trying to come up with the perfect plan. i would love to see how you have done it
  17. RPF Premium Member canister's Avatar
    Nov 10, 2016, 2:40 AM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #267

Dude! I'm a carpenter too! I do resedentual builds and renovations. Back to scanning my pattern to turn into a pdf.
  18. RPF Premium Member PropReplicator2's Avatar
    From
    Abilene,TX
    Nov 10, 2016, 8:31 AM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #268

Same here Im a carpenter too! Wow good to know.

Alex

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk
    From
    L.A.
    Nov 10, 2016, 3:07 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #269

@halliwax Sure. It would just be a simple matrix mold, but I'd be happy to share photos because it's an RPF project. My personal projects I usually keep under wraps.

Whoever is the main person coordinating this, feel free to PM me so we can go over the details and get this ball rolling if desired. I can't promise a release before the premier as I don't know who is doing what, or the general timelines involved, but I'd be happy to give it my all for you folks.
    From
    Cincinnati, OH
    Nov 10, 2016, 4:01 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #270

New trailer, new shots of the helmet! Finally a clear look at the details on the back...should be helpful:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 4.54.27 PM.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	681814Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 4.54.37 PM.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	220.5 KB 
ID:	681813Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 4.55.51 PM.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	189.5 KB 
ID:	681811Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 4.54.47 PM.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	226.4 KB 
ID:	681812
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Nov 10, 2016, 4:22 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #271

@halliwax Sure. It would just be a simple matrix mold, but I'd be happy to share photos because it's an RPF project. My personal projects I usually keep under wraps.

Whoever is the main person coordinating this, feel free to PM me so we can go over the details and get this ball rolling if desired. I can't promise a release before the premier as I don't know who is doing what, or the general timelines involved, but I'd be happy to give it my all for you folks.
    if you dont feel comfortable posting publicly if you wouldnt mind showing me in PM i would love to see what you come up with, thank you
  22. RPF Premium Member canister's Avatar
    Nov 10, 2016, 4:31 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #272

Legend @Thain
    I know what I will be doing this weekend, you can just make out the back of the helmet
    Looking back I dont think its quite as rounded at the back. more filleted angles. I will just do a mirror for the other side, Hey Im at work at the mo are there any more angles of the holes on the otherside?
  23. RPF Premium Member canister's Avatar
    Nov 11, 2016, 3:57 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #273

Now I wait for the 67 Pictures I have taken and loaded up to turn into a 3d object. . . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yYKYBQ40_CdVlBeFYpomU1LAEtewyS3auD0bLdN2RC_Gyz5R2bMGbc27ytRUsofotsogXI99qA=w866-h649-no.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	682087
    Once thats done I can start to remake the Outer Armor. 1% = 7mins lol
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Nov 11, 2016, 5:19 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #274

canister said: View Post
    Now I wait for the 67 Pictures I have taken and loaded up to turn into a 3d object. . . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yYKYBQ40_CdVlBeFYpomU1LAEtewyS3auD0bLdN2RC_Gyz5R2bMGbc27ytRUsofotsogXI99qA=w866-h649-no.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	682087
    Once thats done I can start to remake the Outer Armor. 1% = 7mins lol
    out freak;ning standing man! that is super impressive!!
    From
    Cincinnati, OH
    Nov 11, 2016, 10:19 PM - Re: Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet #275

Another little photo drop from one of the TV spots
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 1.21.29 PM.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	682150