Studio49's Dark Saber - Assembled by Halliwax

Halliwax

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello everyone, I am a huge Dark Saber fan. once i saw it on the clone wars i wanted one dearly! a long with Darth Maul being one of my favorite characters and seeing him use it in the comics...unfortunately i was too late for a pervious run (by many many years late) so i sat back and luckily enough one day. Studio49 announced he was doing a Dark Saber run!! overly joyed i signed up and he delivered a amazing piece of art work!!

and now with the previews in Rebels, it looks like we will see this saber again!! so it has sparked my attention to start working on it and get this project done.

This will be my first time working with 3D printed ABS material so it is a learning curve for me and why i have hesitated to do this project. heres some pictures of what I've done so far today
darksaber%20cover.jpg

625x465_5873657_2755880_1460336129.jpg

625x465_5873662_2755880_1460336129.jpg

Here is his 3D prints

Darksaber1.jpg

Darksaber2.jpg

Now i did some research because i remember reading ABS can be welded together with Acetone. i was quite nervous because i didnt want to ruin this piece. and not working with ABS before i was very concerned. i watched some youtube videos and felt i had enough knowledge to now judge just how much acetone to use. i applied acetone on the ends with a Q-tip

Darksaber3.jpg

these sat locked in the clamps for a hour. i know a few youtube videos said "only a few minutes". they weren't very clear on how long exactly and i really didnt want to take the risk. so i figured a hour was good enough, and it sure was!!! its held together like iron!

Darksaber4.jpg

i also rubbed the inside seams of the emitter with acetone, thats why its upside down and propped up.

sanding commences... and there is a lot of it with this stuff... i brought out all my mini files, my sand papers, i knocked this layer down with 150. after the primer i think i will sand with 220
darksaber7.jpg

this is before i blasted it with compressed air, but it feels pretty smooth
darksaber6.jpg

out to the yard for some painting
darksaber10.jpg

those rods i bent up for my display case, Mr. Fusion sits too tall, had to extend the rails so he can fit

darksaber11.jpg

its amazing, after a hour and half of sanding and the feel of the figures it feels so smooth... until you see the primer..
darksaber12.jpg

I was going to go eFX with this saber but then decided not to. i had a pretty good idea lined up but would have taken forever. it may still be possible in the future with my design, but we shall see
darksaber13.jpg

with the clamp not long enough i had to hold this in place for 15 minutes before having the guts to let it go. it looks like a lot more sanding is required. i also have to figure out what kind of filler i am going to use. a lot of the R2 builders like "rage gold" auto body filler.

anyone on here have any advice towards fillers for 3D printed parts?

Pretty cool. Coming out great! If you have some rope or twine, you can make your own vise simply by wrapping it around and use a block for tension. Works great and keeps your hands free. You really are doing alot today.

What glue are you using?

Last edited:
Pretty cool. Coming out great! If you have some rope or twine, you can make your own vise simply by wrapping it around and use a block for tension. Works great and keeps your hands free. You really are doing alot today.

What glue are you using?

- try to fix truck = fail
- worked on dark saber = check!
- worked on Star destroyer capacitor = check!

i used acetone to weld most of it together. i ended up using plastic epoxy to mount the emitter to the hilt. that picture showing my hand holding it with a clamp. the acetone works pretty good i was amazed how strong it holds!

Good work, halliwax! The only 3D printed things I possess are in a prop, so I can identify with the challenges, man. Looking forward to how this build develops. :)

Good work, halliwax! The only 3D printed things I possess are in a prop, so I can identify with the challenges, man. Looking forward to how this build develops. :)

thanks bud!! yeah i have acouple of 3d printed parts. but this is the first of me playing with the stuff

i'm going to invest in some bigger files, and give it another sanding tomorrow.

you don't use any kind of bondo? just this filler primer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that's awesome thanks!! i'm going to check on my way home from work tomorrow for that exact brand primer. if they don't have it i'll order it from your link. i'm probably not going to touch this saber during the week i got too much stuff going on in the real world

here it is now i unclamped it
4bab74ef8108a96e8812ddc5d52292cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still, you made alot of progress today and they both look great! Its nice to have days like these. Do you own an airbrush?

Still, you made alot of progress today and they both look great! Its nice to have days like these. Do you own an airbrush?

i forgot to mention the DL-44 work, and the cops showing up to my house while i worked on it in the back yard...

denixflash1.jpg

denixflash2.jpg

long story short, my neighbor behind me tends to drink heavily.. she didnt recognize me with my hood on. it was fairly damp today and a real cold breeze. fall is here for us.. so i was grinding the barrel down to fit the flash hider. while grinding i would spray the capacitor, or saber in a large cardboard box because of the mist here and there.

while going back into the house for something i noticed 2 police cars (SUVs) pull into my driveway, a little nervous i asked them what the deal was and they replied they got a call of a man in the back yard with a gun...

thank god i was in the house at the time i could have only imagined where the story would have gone if they saw me in the back yard with it in my hand

as for the airbrush, i was always a artsy kid. my parents got me a badger many many years ago. it was lost over time, i always wanted to invest in another.

i forgot to mention the DL-44 work, and the cops showing up to my house while i worked on it in the back yard...

http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y323/lightningdan/Han ESB DL-44/denixflash1.jpg

http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y323/lightningdan/Han ESB DL-44/denixflash2.jpg

long story short, my neighbor behind me tends to drink heavily.. she didnt recognize me with my hood on. it was fairly damp today and a real cold breeze. fall is here for us.. so i was grinding the barrel down to fit the flash hider. while grinding i would spray the capacitor, or saber in a large cardboard box because of the mist here and there.

while going back into the house for something i noticed 2 police cars (SUVs) pull into my driveway, a little nervous i asked them what the deal was and they replied they got a call of a man in the back yard with a gun...

thank god i was in the house at the time i could have only imagined where the story would have gone if they saw me in the back yard with it in my hand

as for the airbrush, i was always a artsy kid. my parents got me a badger many many years ago. it was lost over time, i always wanted to invest in another.
I have a 2 stage IWATA that I really like . A compressor and spray booth. The gun was just under 100. The compressor was 150 and booth around the same. I do alot of spraying so it's worth it to me.

Sorry about the cops deal. The main thing is no harm done. But this does often go through my head when taking my blasters outside. Even though they are nothing more than a glorified toy, they still resemble a real weapon so I can understand a call to the local authorities. I'm still waiting for that to happen to me. Fortunately I have only one neighbor and then I'm surrounded by woods as long as I stay in my back yard.

I think i am also going to pick up some elmers wood filler. i use this daily at work, i really love the product. its very easy to sand
pACE3-1827021enh-z7.jpg

while searching the net today I've watched multiple filler videos with guys using filler primer and bondo. i saw this one medieval helmet where the kid used the same wood filler i use at work. they were debating whether or not it would work. looks like it works well, heres another guy using it on a 3d printed helmet. only thing is i would never use my raw fingers to apply this stuff, if you read the chemicals that are in it, it even states to avoid skin contact may cause liver damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHDcRkY4D8A

Let me know how that works. I do have a small gap on the kylo that needs filling. I was going to try some tamiya putty I have already.

That dl44 looks great. So thats going to be from esb? Also , is it fom a denix?

Let me know how that works. I do have a small gap on the kylo that needs filling. I was going to try some tamiya putty I have already.

That dl44 looks great. So thats going to be from esb? Also , is it fom a denix?

Boba Debts denix, i dont think I'm going to start a thread on it because there are so many other great denix threads i cant see mine helping. then again i always like the idea of having peoples advice and experiences while I'm doing the build so i just might do that so i can get the help from the experts

Last edited:
I was kinda hoping that people would chime in with advise no matter where the thread was. I was under the impression that was encouraged. That's why I started my many builds thread.

When you say boba denix, did he make his own or is it just his completion kit?

Walmart carries it! couldn't find it at lowes or homedepo's site

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dynatron-Bondo-BND-907-Glazing-Spot-Putty-4.5-Oz/49957058

- - - Updated - - -

I was kinda hoping that people would chime in with advise no matter where the thread was. I was under the impression that was encouraged. That's why I started my many builds thread.

When you say boba denix, did he make his own or is it just his completion kit?

boba takes the denix and "accurizes" it. he puts in through machining to make it look more screen accurate. check this link out real quick, first post

http://www.therpf.com/f79/presenting-my-accurized-denix-mauser-217752/

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back