Rey Scavenger Backpack Build Thread

Goldhawk

Alright, this will be my build thread to document the building of my Rey scavenger backpack from TFA. I bought (read was gifted) half a hide from Maverick leather, which I am using.

20160927_203054.jpg

20160927_203152.jpg
I am using an OmniGrid to line everything up, and I can't recommend it enough !
I will post the backpack pattern in a little bit, but I do want to say that the pattern I am using was created by another member of this forum, division 6.
Thank you for sharing it!
More progress and the pattern to follow so that people don't have to search the Rey open thread for it. I assure you, it is well hidden.

Edit: I made a dropbox folder with all of the pictures from my build so far to date. I hope that some of you fellow Rey backpack makers will find them useful.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qe93d2mw1qpvzoc/AACcOJtwxdeRCk6U5dU5u8rTa?dl=0

Last edited:
Look forward to following your progress. I've been thinking of making one for my display as well. Does Division6 make his pattern freely available? If yes, could you please point me in the right direction? Cheers.

The redish cloth on the goggles can be seen in pix taken at C7 and D23.

Pack size is about 14" H x 11" W x 3" D.
I just marked off on the leather and cut.
You will have to add enough to the back piece to include the flap.

I'll check my notes this afternoon when I get off work.

A good amount of reference is needed to get all the details right.

Still waiting on the clear shot of the under flap pieces posted earlier in the thead.

Checking my notes.
Pack is same as noted above.(you might want to add 1/2" to the side to compensate for the sewn edge)

Side pockets for the 2 sticks is 5.5" H , 4 " from top edge.
Once it reaches the face it's 2" with a space of 1.5" from top of side panel pockets and 2.25" from the bottom edge. should end 4.25" from edge.
Flap (part of the back panel) goes over the top (add 3") then down the face 7".
Band on flap starts 2" down on the back side top of the pack and extends 1.5" past the bottom of flap.
The corresponding strap on the face starts 2.5" from bottom. (length 7+ inches)
Both straps start 2.75" from right edge. and are 2" wide (2 pieces for leather)
Webbing is Type 37 tan 1".
Side canister webbing is scrap from the Enfield sling.
The shoulder straps are 1.25" wide, length at least 29" (+ 3" each end) so 35"
I made mine longer then figured out how it should sit properly then cut, I would suggest doing it that way to adjust for your body type.
I made the shoulder strap loops on the back at 1.5" (3") but found pictures afterword that showed them to be longer.
These are angled at about 30 degrees
The strap on the bottom of the pack is 1" wide and 11" long +1.5" for the loop holding the rings.
Bottom cup is 2.5" x 2.5"
The band on the shoulder strap holding the chained canister 1 7/8" at center and is shaped like and S.

Hardware.
X2 Flat rounded end Tri glides 1.25 opening (I couldn't find any in this size so I went with 1.5" ) Shoulder straps
Rectangular loops
X2 2" Flap strap
X2 1" Bottom strap
X4 1.25" Shoulder straps

The shoulder pad Reddish brown mystery cloth is attached to the shoulder strap.
It uses 1" and 2" cotton webbing. Green.
X4 1" square Tri Glides in black
X1 1" D Ring in black

Look at photos while working on it.
Have fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the dimensions I am currently using. I have changed nothing from the dimensions plus 1/2" that division 6 recommended. I have most of the pieces cut out, but am waiting to sew everything together till I have my hardware and greeblies as I don't want to be sewing something onto the backpack after the main part is sewed together!

Don't worry, when I get started again I'll post as many pics as I can stand:ninja

but am waiting to sew everything together till I have my hardware and greeblies as I don't want to be sewing something onto the backpack after the main part is sewed together!
that's a good idea. For the bottle straps, i found it easiest to attach them to the leather with small rivets, so there is no stitching that can rip.

Also if you dont have one yet, this works well for the side bottle strap fastener.
http://www.hobbylobby.com/Scrapbook...nts/Clips-Clothespins/Screw-Fasteners/p/16011

Last edited:
that's a good idea. For the bottle straps, i found it easiest to attach them to the leather with small rivets, so there is no stitching that can rip.

Also if you dont have one yet, this works well for the side bottle strap fastener.
http://www.hobbylobby.com/Scrapbook...nts/Clips-Clothespins/Screw-Fasteners/p/16011

That looks a lot like the screen used one, too. Thanks, Redwillow, just what I needed!

- - - Updated - - -

That looks a lot like the one on the displays too. Thanks, Redwillow, just what I needed!

Alright, I have the thread for my backpack, Tiger thread in Amber Glow, which perfectly matches my leather.

Beautiful, right?
I have 3d prints of the greeblies, which I decided to get before starting the backpack, because I wanted to make sure that everything would fit, and I wouldn't have to recut valuable pieces of leather!

And the stitch length I'm thinking of using on the backpack.

Slowly but surely, Progress! Oh, and I also had enough leather to cut my belt and the bracer! The belt is currently just a 3" strap, but that will change soon. In the meantime, backpacks rule!

The side pocket was successfully sewed to the gusset and the gusset is now almost sewed to the front. I have now clue how I ended up with an extra inch and a half on the gusset when I only had one inch extra in case of mistakes. Ah well, better to have too much than too little.

20170126_213743.jpg 20170126_213750.jpg 20170126_213802.jpg 20170126_213805.jpg 20170126_213812.jpg 20170126_213827.jpg 20170126_221118.jpg

Your pack looks great so far! May I ask what colour dye you used? :)

None, yet! I actually found a hide that color at Maverick Leather.

http://maverickleathercompany.com/

I used my reference pictures of the bag and picked one that looked to be as close to the color as possible. I don't remember what the official name of the color was, but I believe that it was Horween Essex leather. I can verify and post a little later, I know there are probably some people who will want to know.
You have to call them to order, though. You can't do it online.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back