Rey Scavenger Backpack Build Thread

20170127_221017.jpg 20170127_221039.jpg 20170127_221106.jpg

Starting on the leather cup for the bottle that sits on the bottom of the cannister. To get the circular bottom I measured the diameter of the bottle and added half an inch for the 1/4" stitch allowance all the way around. I set my trusty leather compass for exactly half of that measurement and hey presto!

Sewed the strap onto the bottom of the bag for the big water bottle, and I'm currently sewing the strap for the greeblies on the front down.
20170511_154808.jpg 20170511_154819.jpg

Looks great! I found that figuring out what to sew to what in what order was one of the more difficult parts of the build. I forgot to sew the water bottle strap to the bottom before I closed in the bag, BIG mistake. It took some very challenging stitching to attach it after the fact. I look forward to seeing more of your work in progress photos. :)

Thank you! I'm impressed that you were able to attach the strap with the bag closed!
Yeah, sewing what in what order has been the most challenging part so far! I'm going to add the little loops(?) for the greeblies on the face of the bag, then the side water bottle strap next. I'm thinking I should probably add everything that needs to be sewn to the back panel before I attach it to the bag, too.
Definitely more pics soon as I will now have more time to work on this.

I've been watching with interest myself.

I'm going to be starting on my fourth backpack build shortly. This one will be another from-scratch build, instead of the messenger bag route.

I've been watching with interest myself.

I'm going to be starting on my fourth backpack build shortly. This one will be another from-scratch build, instead of the messenger bag route.

I hope we get some pics!! I would love to see how that turns out. So far this is my favorite part of the build.

I'll certainly share. :)

I've found a hunk of leather that I think is going to be dead on colour and texture wise... and I'm using the same greeblies as you this time instead of the smaller scale ones I began with.

Though my side bottle is the 3d printed one, I'm still going to make it functional!

I also now have a mega industrial sewing machine.. si i'll be able to stitch this all together mechanically instead of by hand, as I have done in the past.

That should go pretty quickly! I'm doing mine by hand, the old fashioned way lol!

On on an update for the bag, I accidentally cut the strap for the greeblies on the front too short. Soo, I cut another strap to the same dimensions and had my mom skive the end pretty thin. I'm going to sew it onto the same seam that will make the first loop. I think it will work, anyway I'm just hoping it doesn't show too much.

image.jpg

Here's the problem...:(

So, i fixed my above mentioned problem with a patch of sorts.
20170517_181221.jpg
So, as this pic shows, I cut an extension piece for the too short strap. My mom, who works in leather, skived the ends of the two pieces to thin them out.
20170517_181227.jpg20170517_182231.jpg
I used a special double-sided tape to stick the two skived ends together and to the face of the bag. The tape was strong enough that for that small a space I didn't need to clamp it, which would have been difficult anyway.
Here is the result, with which I am most delighted. It exceeded my expectations for a patch, and will be almost invisible when the second loop for the other greeblie is made.
20170517_184119.jpg 20170517_184134.jpg

One thing that I am going to do differently in my next build is that instead of notching out the strap for that canister, I'm going to use a coping saw and cut a slot under that thing on the front of the canister so it will actually act like the "clip" it's supposed to be.

I notched that strap out on three separate builds and NEVER got it to lay the way that i wanted it to. This time I'm taking a new approach. :p

I thought of that, but I was worried about it breaking off. I think it really is a clip IRL, tho.

- - - Updated - - -

Although, on one display picture I have it does look notched out. You can just see where the top of one side of the notch didn't lay flat.
807.PNG

That's true. But don't forget that there are several costumes on display all over the world. Not all of them are the hero costume, and I'm sure many of them have 3d printed or resin cast replicas of the greeblies which are solid and don't have a clip feature.

If my "clip" snaps off, I'll glue it back on. No trouble. That's what Mitre Bond is for :)

18644560_10212637271503049_438700894_n.jpg18678924_10212637268862983_2013206413_n.jpg

Just received a fresh set of backpack greeblies from Ian Martin of Dejarik Creations.

My first set of greeblies were a gift from my RPF Angel, but when i needed more to make subsequent backpacks I turned to Ian..and these things are fantastic! I cannot recommend him enough if you want to do your own backpack build. He makes the side and bottom bottles too (the bottom one is functional) but I had already purchased those two from him months ago so i just needed these to complete the set.

These are some of the smoothest 3D prints I've seen, and Ian has taken care to do a stellar job of cleanup before shipping them.

NOW I can begin on Rey backpack V4.0!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back