MST3K Season 11 - REVIEW THREAD (SPOILERS!)

Is she sort of a geek icon like Wil Wheaton?
That's probably the best way to put it. That and what Wifey said.
I didn't see The Guild, either. She did have a recurring role in Supernatural that was enjoyable.

I think it might be at least as much about how she's written---she's just meaner than the mads we're used to. To Max, anyway. You liked Dr. F despite his being evil. I don't like Kinga yet. (I'm only 5 episodes in, though.) It's a very hard line to walk, I'm realizing, which just shows Trace's genius.

Patton is a true geek icon. Again so glad he's in it. I'm glad to see the old mads show up, I don't mind the new Crow, by yeah Jonah and Tom sound too similar. Not really digging Gypsy either. Been tough to get thru the episodes but out of respect for Joel I'm trying my best. I've read things get better more episodes in. All I know is that I'm hitting the Samurai Cop Rifftrax repeat and heard nothing but amazing things about it. I think the difference in the Rifftrax crew and the Cinematic Titanic/New MSTie teams is that Rifftrax has pretty much never taken a break. Right after MSTie ended on SciFi they did the Film Crew then Rifftrax. So they've stayed sharp and use both old and new references. In the new MSTie the throwbacks do old episodes seem forced.

pretty much my thoughts as well.

i feel anything i dislike i'll either get used to in season 12, or it'll be worked out.

I just don't buy patton as an 'evil genius'. frank just had a different 'vibe' than he does and idon't think it works.

Felica, with a little work....while no pearl, could be fun.

Frank was never an evil genius. He wasn't even evil. He was just misguided and too stupid to know any better. I was never much of a fan of Pearl either, I'm an old-school Dr. Forrester and Frank fan. I really don't even care about the host segments all that much, although a lot of them have been fine. I'm in it for the movie.

- - - Updated - - -

and i also knew they where from nerdist, something i really didn't care for after having the unfortunate distinction of trying to listen to their rick moranis podcast, a rare get indeed that they totally mucked up imho by not letting the guest talk. was all about chris.

I hate Chris Hardwick with a burning passion. I made it through the first season of that Nerdist show, then gave up because I hated Chris so much. He's like a smarmy used car salesman. Hence, I entirely ignore anything Nerdist does now. It all has his stink on it.

- - - Updated - - -

That's probably the best way to put it. That and what Wifey said.
I didn't see The Guild, either. She did have a recurring role in Supernatural that was enjoyable.

I think it might be at least as much about how she's written---she's just meaner than the mads we're used to. To Max, anyway. You liked Dr. F despite his being evil. I don't like Kinga yet. (I'm only 5 episodes in, though.) It's a very hard line to walk, I'm realizing, which just shows Trace's genius.

That's because Forrester was never evil. It never felt like anything he did to Frank (or anyone else) was intentionally awful for the sake of being awful. He was being a mad scientist, that's all. He developed a very clear fondness for Frank over the years, something that may or may not develop between Kinga and Max, but it will take time.

Frank was never an evil genius. He wasn't even evil. He was just misguided and too stupid to know any better. I was never much of a fan of Pearl either, I'm an old-school Dr. Forrester and Frank fan. I really don't even care about the host segments all that much, although a lot of them have been fine. I'm in it for the movie.

- - - Updated - - -

I hate Chris Hardwick with a burning passion. I made it through the first season of that Nerdist show, then gave up because I hated Chris so much. He's like a smarmy used car salesman. Hence, I entirely ignore anything Nerdist does now. It all has his stink on it.

it took me a while to warm up to pearl, even though i came into the show late in the forrestor years, but i grew to like trace instantly. then i grew to love pearl.

felicia is no where NEAR pearl level yet. i'd like to think over time the possibility is there.

Looks like i quit nerdist with my one and done at the right time then. it just gave off the vibe of 'phony' to me. 'we pretend to like nerd culture and be one of you so i can get famous and earn money' is the vibe i get.

Patton is a true geek icon. Again so glad he's in it. I'm glad to see the old mads show up, I don't mind the new Crow, by yeah Jonah and Tom sound too similar. Not really digging Gypsy either. Been tough to get thru the episodes but out of respect for Joel I'm trying my best. I've read things get better more episodes in. All I know is that I'm hitting the Samurai Cop Rifftrax repeat and heard nothing but amazing things about it. I think the difference in the Rifftrax crew and the Cinematic Titanic/New MSTie teams is that Rifftrax has pretty much never taken a break. Right after MSTie ended on SciFi they did the Film Crew then Rifftrax. So they've stayed sharp and use both old and new references. In the new MSTie the throwbacks do old episodes seem forced.

My only real concern with Gypsy is that she just pops into the theater for a line and then goes away again. It's like they're looking for something to do with her. There are some interesting things they've done in the host segments, but she really has no place in the theater unless they come up with a compelling reason once in a while.

And yeah, I do prefer Rifftrax over new MST3K, simply because I really don't care as much about the host segments anymore. I just want to see the movie get riffed. They're either picking some really short movies on purpose or something because when you add in all of the host segments, you're still only getting a 90ish minute show. Come on, this is Netflix, you can do movies of any length! That's really the strength of Rifftrax is they are not limited by picking old bad movies. They can do the latest blockbusters if they want.

it took me a while to warm up to pearl, even though i came into the show late in the forrestor years, but i grew to like trace instantly. then i grew to love pearl.

felicia is no where NEAR pearl level yet. i'd like to think over time the possibility is there.

Looks like i quit nerdist with my one and done at the right time then. it just gave off the vibe of 'phony' to me. 'we pretend to like nerd culture and be one of you so i can get famous and earn money' is the vibe i get.

I like Mary Jo Pehl and think she's doing a good job doing Rifftrax with Bridget Nelson. I just don't think she was as good as Dr. F. That's nothing against her, she was just his replacement and he was the original that made the show for me. Who knows if nu-MST3K will be around long enough for Felicia to grow into the role.

And yes, that's the same vibe I got from Hardwick. I know he's got geek cred, I just don't care for him and avoid him if at all possible.

Why? There was never a cutoff point for references in the old series. The only reason there have never before been "newer" references for "Millennials" is because the show has been off the air for 18 years.
Meh, just being grumpy. But I like when they make references that are vintage just as the films are. Not sure I've caught a lot of references that were "new." They're flowing so fast and furious, as from a fire hose, that I'm missing more than a few. :}
same here.

no idea who patton oswalt was either, but then , i don't keep up on either current celebrities, or current internet fads. all i knew is that they where known names, something mst3k never really bothered with before.

Patton, as mentioned before, just comes off as a pompous hollywood jerk to me, based on his nerd interaction. and that fowled my opinion of him early on (also odd, since i normally don't care for, or stand up for, youtube celebrities)..

at this point i'm wiling to give felicia and jonah more of a chance to improve over time. i could care less if they recast patton or the new servo.

He's not a YT celeb. I don't have cable, so I found out about him via, cough, Ratatouille. Have watched 3-4 of his comedy specials, listened to bits from years past. He's a comedian, lucked into a TV show role, that led to other things. His honest geek fanboy love of all things SW led to his doing a filibuster gag on Parks & Recreation where the cast was supposed to interrupt him after a minute or two, but as a gag they let him go on for several minutes, which he did, and with that a YT celeb was born. You want to hear something funny, find his bit about Lean Cuisine ... or househunting in LA ("we came on a Sunday, adn they weren't expecting us") … or his bits about KFC's Happy Bowl or whatever they call that "a serving of sadness in a failure bowl" as I think he calls it. The guy is legit funny, brilliant really.

I liked Dr. Forrester and Tv's Frank because they were essentially bumpkins. Forrester wasn't really nasty to Frank because they were like roomies or something. Trace also made Forrester so comical (leaning into the camera, deadpan Oliver Hardy/Bud Abbott takes) you couldn't take his "evilness" seriously. And they all had a stage/screen presence that wasn't 100% Juilliard polished, so it all felt like a put on. That's what I think is not yet working for Ms. Day, she's Acting[emoji769]. Oswalt seems a little more aware of how off the cuff it all needs to be.

My 2¢ only.

Last edited:
Yeah, Felicia's character still seems a little mean-spirited (which may just be how it's been written) and not enough of a buffoon. Trace always came across as buffoonish, and forever plagued by his bumbling sidekick (who was entertaining in his own right). Trace apparently based Dr. F on a guy who used to run a comedy club where he and others performed.

A big part of the success came from the fact that pretty much all of the early MST3K crew were big into improv and some standup. Felicia Day, as far as I know, isn't. That's not a dig against her, mind you. I mean, I'm sure she's DONE some improv, but I haven't heard of her coming out of an improv tradition. Patton is a standup and a masterful one at that, so he just GETS comic timing. Actually, that's probably not quite right. Patton "gets" it on an instinctive level, I suspect, but he also has seriously practiced his craft for decades.

I'm hopeful that things improve, though. After all, the show itself was nigh unwatchable in the first year (and if you go back to the KTMA days, it's like a whole other thing). Seriously, try watching back when Josh Weinstein was on as Dr. Erhard in Season 1 back when it was on the Comedy Channel (before it became Comedy Central). His Tom Servo is funny, and Josh himself is actually a freakin' riot (and a decent bassist -- too few of those out there) in Cinematic Titanic stuff, but their riffs were slow, Trace was doing "baby Crow" voice, the movies were REALLY bad, and it just...well, it took a while for them to find their groove. Season 2 things improved, but by Season 3 they were firing on all cylinders, and that stayed true throughout the rest of the show.

Mary Jo's Pearl was...irritating. I really didn't enjoy the character. SHE'S funny, but the character was just...eh...it never quite worked for me. Her guest spots in Season 6 and 7 were better. It also didn't help that Sci-Fi channel required them to have a "plot" early on for the host segments. I think that actually hurt some of the host bits.

Anyway, my point is that I think the show will likely improve if it comes back for a Season 12. I really do hope it does. RiffTrax is great and all, but Mike, Kevin, and Bill just have a different...vibe to their riffing. It's not better or worse. Just different. I really enjoy Joel's style and his influence, which is why I went to every Cinematic Titanic show I could make it to, including the final one ever (which was a double-header). So I hope he gets to keep doing what he's doing.

Meh, just being grumpy. .

despite what some people will want to change you into, nothing wrong with that ;o).

He's not a YT celeb. I don't have cable, so I found out about him via, cough, Ratatouille. Have watched 3-4 of his comedy specials, listened to bits from years past. He's a comedian, lucked into a TV show role, that led to other things. His honest geek fanboy love of all things SW led to his doing a filibuster gag on Parks & Recreation where the cast was supposed to interrupt him after a minute or two, but as a gag they let him go on for several minutes, which he did, and with that a YT celeb was born. You want to hear something funny, find his bit about Lean Cuisine ... or househunting in LA ("we came on a Sunday, adn they weren't expecting us") … or his bits about KFC's Happy Bowl or whatever they call that "a serving of sadness in a failure bowl" as I think he calls it. The guy is legit funny, brilliant really.

I guess I got exposed to him at the wrong time. when i first heard of him, i was deep into feigbuster territory, and fastly being amazed at how crazy people where getting trying to defend utter crap. and his response to a well thought out video that wasn't insulting to anyone at all kind of turned me against him instantly ;o). i guess i'm as guilty of over emotional responses sometimes as anyone else these days ;o). but before that, i actually kind of liked what i saw on the MST3K telethon..seemed rather nice and fun loving.

unless you disagreed about him about a movie he apparently liked,then the insults came. ;o).

oh well..

As far as his mst3k appearance goes... he didn't really wow me. Neither did the new servo. the only one who really got the performance down on the first try, i think, was the new crow. everyone else needs a little more time.

I got a good chuckle out of Bulimicus.

I agree that there are too many jokes. It needs time to breath.

I also can't get used to seeing Servo flying.

Still, good times.

I also can't get used to seeing Servo flying.

I don't care if Servo flies, he seems to be taking the place of Joel when he used to interact with the screen back in early MST3K. If that's all they did with it, I wouldn't complain, but they spend way too much time having him flying around the room for no real reason. And I absolutely hate the Gypsy one-liner they stick in every single movie. Knock it off.

I don't care if Servo flies, he seems to be taking the place of Joel when he used to interact with the screen back in early MST3K. If that's all they did with it, I wouldn't complain, but they spend way too much time having him flying around the room for no real reason. And I absolutely hate the Gypsy one-liner they stick in every single movie. Knock it off.

yeah, the gypsy one liner needs to stop. it'd work so much better if she interacted with them rather than dropping in to deliver zingers.

Servo flying doesn't bother me. that's what his hoverskirt is for ;o).

yeah, the gypsy one liner needs to stop. it'd work so much better if she interacted with them rather than dropping in to deliver zingers.

Servo flying doesn't bother me. that's what his hoverskirt is for ;o).

I wouldn't say if Gypsy was doing something, but she's just dropping something off or picking something up. What's the point? The same goes for Servo. I don't care if he flies if there is some purpose to it. When he's interacting with the screen, that's fine. However, they are doing it just because they can, not because they should. It's got to serve the show, not just be a cool new special effect.

Gypsy bringing snacks yo !
Just about the time she was starting to bother me for piping in for no reason maybe episode 7 or so , crow gets up and grabs some grub out of the basket . I kinda liked how they get her in , just need a good excuse.

Overall I'm loving it .
Updated ? Yep
But heck what do you expect ??

I'll echo what many have said: Overall I like it, the riffs need to be spaced a little better. Some tended to go on and on a bit too long. I hope now that they're not on network, they can tackle racier fare. They've shown they can creatively censor naughty bits. Not sure what they'd do about language. *shrug*

I like the casting. I hope we see more of Gizmonics. I like the occasional mannikin bodies Gypsy is sporting. I figure we'll see a few Skeleton Crew costumes at Dragon Con. For those who've made it through all or most of the new season, in the "Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II" one, does anyone know what's up with the one random purple-jumpsuit guy?

My biggest problem is a purely personal one. When I grew up I was the only one around. I didn't meet another until 8th grade. Since then, only one or two others, and a few kids in grocery stores being scolded by their mothers. Since my earliy experience conditioned me to presume if anyone sid it they were talking to me, I still have that reflex. And when Im not the one being spoken to, I feel an irrational Highlander "There can be only one!" knee-jerk...

--The One True Jonah :p

SEASON 12 ANNOUNCED

They sneaked it in after a false sign-off at the end of the Turkey Day live feed, after a bunch of ads. Rascals!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back