Oblivion Inspired Office Build

I have only used 1/4" bendable before. Didn't even know it came in 1/8".

I just used a high build 2 part primer I sprayed out with my gun for leveling for paint before.

Thanks everyone! You keep me motivated. The plywood should be here Friday at the earliest. I need to get my 4x8 sheets in for the bottom part of the desk too. Once I have that, this should get moving quickly.

Steam will help soften it, yeah, and when it dries in the new shape it'll hold it much better - the spring tension resets in the new position.

Know anyone who makes musical instruments, especially guitars? They might have some good suggestions for dealing with the curved wood; just a thought!

The bulk of my supplies are here!

I started cutting the frame for the desk and got a good chunk of it assembled. I altered the design a little bit and did not cut out for knee clearance on the back two layers. My knees won't got that far under the desk and it will give the desk a little more stability.

I still need to cut some more pieces to get the frame complete. Once I have that, I will fit it into the space and make sure my angles are right. Nothing is glued yet so I have the ability to make edits where needed.

31135326578_b762dc329a.jpg

44959653672_167f16ee7b.jpg

31135326408_eab0f5611e.jpg

-Eric

The frames look great, what is your plan for the large radius edges? I suspect the desk in the film was a fiberglass shell.

Initially, I was going to use MDF with kerfs cut into the back, but now I think I am going to use bendable plywood. I have a sheet of 1/8” and am planning to laminate two layers together.

Eric I remember you showing me pictures here and there on your phone, but I haven't seen all of these. This is absolutely amazing. I guess next prop party is at your joint.

Eric I remember you showing me pictures here and there on your phone, but I haven't seen all of these. This is absolutely amazing. I guess next prop party is at your joint.

Thanks John.

I don’t think I could match the quality of our regular host. Not to mention, most don’t want to make the trek out to my place.

I have the rest of the ribs cut and installed. I did mess around with the kerfed MDF again and my confidence for that technique is getting higher, but I still want to try the bendable plywood too before I make a final decision on which way to go.

45104573631_b645332445.jpg

45104573701_f426b4977f.jpg

Also, I measured where the desk will mount to the wall and cut holes in the sheet rock for the tabs to slide through and then bolt to the studs in the wall. In order to estimate where the tabs would go, I made a story board to make sure the spacing is right for all the vertical holes (visible on the left hand side of the first photo) and took a rib to get the horizontal spacing right (visible in the bottom right of the tarp in the last photo). I know they all work vertically, but won't know for sure on the horizontal until the desk is there. I did make the holes slightly bigger to give myself a little wiggle room. Of the original studs, only one matched up to the way the desk was designed. I only need two, but will most likely install four to add to the stability of the desk.

45104573511_3d17b3b985.jpg

Next up, will be to haul the desk upstairs. Fit it into the spot and then make any adjustments needed to fit the space.

-Eric

Whether you'll use the MDF (more work) or the ply, you'll end up with the same result. I used kerfed MDF and ply before to make skateboards and I didn't see the diff. at all.
That desk needs to hang by the next update:D:thumbsup

Whether you'll use the MDF (more work) or the ply, you'll end up with the same result. I used kerfed MDF and ply before to make skateboards and I didn't see the diff. at all.
That desk needs to hang by the next update:D:thumbsup

Thats good to know. I haven’t the experience with bendable plywood and am looking forward to trying it out.

If the desk has to hang in my next post, there could be a significant gap until my next post. Unless a post with an exposed frame is acceptable.:)

Last edited:
I am losing my mind that I am just now seeing this build. HOLY INCREDIBLE. These are my favorite type of projects and this is simply fantastic. Sorry I am late to the party, but amazing job!

Seriously that desk is amazing!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back