Oblivion Inspired Office Build

Thanks guys! I moved a temporary desk out here today and have been sniffing carpet glue ever since. :wacko

How quickly I get motivation to want to start on the desk next.

Shaping up very nicely - this looks great!

I'm a big fan of Oblivion - I liked that movie a lot and absolutely loved the design work all through it. Love what you're doing...

Dan

I realized rather quickly how I will need a bigger desk and work surface.

I am torn between a few different ideas.

First, the desk Vicka uses.

It's the obvious choice. It looks awesome and is one of the more memorable pieces of the movie. However, I am afraid it will put a strain on my neck to look at desktop surface throughout the day. Not to mention 40" touch screens are not that common and the viewing angle would be an issue as well. I worry that I would build it and then end up using standard monitors on top of it and lose the design impact.

Second idea is from this piece of concept art where the drone workshop had a desk.

The desk looks easy enough to make. The curved cabinet doors would be a challenge though. I would need to change the design significantly to make it usable for my needs as the desktop is rather small. The other issue I have with it is the desk is round. It would be OK if it was in the middle of a room, but this will go up against a wall like a regular desk would.

Lastly, is the kitchen area counter tops.

They are in an "L" shape which is common for a lot of computer desks. I would need to shrink the height and bring in some of the other dimensions to make it work as a desk. It will fit the space I am using. My only reservation is the opening at the corner of the "L". If I went with this design, the opening would be one of the design pieces I would want to keep. It would be up against the wall and I think the impact would be lost with it shoved up against a wall.

Just a few ideas I am kicking around right now. Love to hear your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks for all the compliments. Having you guys here has kept me going on this.

-Eric

I think the kitchen counter is the most practical. The first one is cool, but I don't think it would be usable. the computer embedded in the top of the desk is great for Sci-Fi, but very unfriendly. in addition to staring down at the screen most of your desktop would be unusable. I think you should use the shape and design of the first one but eliminate the screen from the desktop. One option would be to put large tablet on the side (or sides) of the desktop with interactive graphics. You could have a normal computer monitor in the center but have additional "controls" on the sides. It's really a question of priorities. You may have to compromise if you really need a place to work.

If you choose the first. why not just use a monitor that you could pull up and out of the disk. some kind of swivel arm?

I am looking to find a monitor that can be either laid flat or at 60 degree from the desk right now. I would love a Microsoft Surface Workstation, but that gets out of my price range. Dell has a few All in One workstations that come in at a better price point as well. However, what I need to find is just a monitor that does what I want. That way I don't get locked into a CPU. Monitors usually last well beyond the life of the PC they are connected to.

One of the things I learned about this project is how everything that was built had a purpose and was designed around what was in it. This desk needs to take the design queues from the movie, but I need to decide what is going to be on it; in it; etc... before I can finalize the design. Its not like going to the store and buying a desk that could house a laptop or a desktop or an all in one

In the mean time, I got my outlets installed.

37689617992_6eb2033d55_z.jpg

-Eric

Last edited:
My 2 cents, I don't have the measurements of your office space but here's my version of the monitor desk. Scaled down to an home office with the Monitor when not in use recessed into the column.
Oblivion Desk-01.jpgOblivion Desk-02.jpgOblivion Desk-03.jpgOblivion Desk-04.jpg
Image 3 and 4 show the monitor pulled out for use. the dimensions of this desk is 66" long x 30" deep by 60"Tall.

My 2 cents, I don't have the measurements of your office space but here's my version of the monitor desk. Scaled down to an home office with the Monitor when not in use recessed into the column.
View attachment 772003View attachment 772004View attachment 772005View attachment 772006
Image 3 and 4 show the monitor pulled out for use. the dimensions of this desk is 66" long x 30" deep by 60"Tall.

I like It!!

- - - Updated - - -

Still looking good.

Can't wait to see you peg all your tools after you paint them Skytower White. :cool

Funny story. I saw a guy who attempted that and it didn't work out to well for him. The foam he bought wouldn't hold the tools and they all fell on the floor. :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back